Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/16/19 3:58 p.m.

Ooof, been awhile!

I put new wheels and tires on the 5 today.

17x7 Drag 

225/45/17 Kuhmo PA51

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/16/19 4:58 p.m.

Looks good! But if i owned any black cars I'd be constantly annoyed that they made my tires look not-black. My tire shine expenses would go through the roof! 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
10/16/19 9:10 p.m.

Wow, looks really great!

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/17/19 6:01 a.m.

What motor mounts go bad on these?  Drove my wife's 2009 yesterday, shifting into second or on and off the gas felt like the motor was not connected to the body.  It's an auto.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/17/19 8:54 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

There's a big one up top by the passenger fender that guess through the vent drive and one underneath that guess from the engine and trans to the subframe. Visually inspect both because it's a 50/50 on which one goes.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/17/19 9:49 a.m.

And just to bring this whole thread up to speed...

These are all the videos so far on my latest Mazda5.

Intro:

Maintenance:

Bought new coilover suspension:

Installed new coilover suspension:

CorkSport Mazda Showdown Prep:

New episode coming this week on the new wheel/tire setup.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/18/19 12:32 a.m.
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/13/19 9:06 p.m.

Well my 5 had some issues and it got weird...

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/11/20 11:52 a.m.

Bumping this thread for "technical assistance".  Mrs. Kazoo informs me the driver's seat height adjustment stopped working today.  Fortunately, it stopped working in the "down" position, so I can still drive it.  Unfortunately, Mrs. Kazoo is . . . vertically challenged, and the "full down" setting makes it hard for her to see.  

Soooooo . . . anybody know how the seat height adjustment works?  I'm a little afraid to dig around in the seat, because it looks to have some sort of an integrated airbag.  I'm afraid this may be a "dealer only" service issue, but would rather avoid that if possible.  

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/11/20 6:03 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

What year? IIRC, it's just a ratcheting lever in the early 5's. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/11/20 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

It's a 2012.  When you raise and lower the seat, it sort of feels like it's pumping the seat up and down.  Figured I could find something online, but no joy so far. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/20 6:46 p.m.

My 2010 works mechanically, not eclectically.  If it were me, I would just disconnect the battery (to kill the airbag) and then unbolt the seat from the floor.  Turn the seat over and investigate how the mechenism should work compared to how it is working. 

wae
wae UltraDork
1/20/20 9:48 a.m.

Our 2013 was having a problem with the right sliding door not wanting to latch all the way.  You could see that it wasn't closing completely and occasionally the "door ajar" light would come on.  I don't know if this is a common issue, but I found that the rear latch wasn't firmly attached:

Two of the three bolts were missing form the right side and the remaining one was very loose.  The left side had all three but they were very loose as well.  You want that flat head bolt in an M6 1.00 thread 20mm long.  I used stainless along with some Loctite.

That makes a total of one (1) problem with the car in 7 years and 83k miles.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
1/20/20 3:05 p.m.

Saw this thread and realized I should have updated.  Without intervention, it started working again the next time Mrs. Kazoo used it.  Since I've never had ANY luck diagnosing intermittent problems, we're waiting to see if it re-appears.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/14/20 6:23 p.m.

Is there a big difference between the 2.3 and 2.5 with a manual transmission. When I owned my 2.3 5, I felt it was a slug and couldn't get much over 20MPG.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
3/15/20 1:39 p.m.

What type of driving are you doing to get around 20 mpg? I was getting 26-27 mpg avg on mostly back roads in mine. Highway was low 30s..

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/24/20 1:16 p.m.

In reply to dxman92 : City driving mainly, I didn't even come close to 30MPG on the highway, before and after I changed the oil and air filter.

TuBlonde
TuBlonde
4/29/20 11:21 a.m.

Just bought a black 2010 Touring yesterday for a great deal out on Long Island, NY and this thread is definitely going to be a new bookmark for me. I saw some folks talking about the similarities between the 5 and the Honda Fit, and given that my last car was a Fit, I think the comparison makes sense. My 5 is a two-owner with 87k miles, and has only driven about 5k miles per year for the past three years before sitting idle for six months or so.

Right off the bat, the 5 needed new spark plugs (which made me realize just how cheap the parts are for this thing at about $5 a pop) and now it zips around like nobody's business. I think if anything this thing has exactly equal pep to my old Fit. 

The inside of this mini mini van looks like it was used for hauling aggressive children who played with nails and screws because it's pretty scratched up inside the third row seating area, but I think with some sandpaper and plastic repair epoxy I can buff that out alright. 

The main reason I bought a 5 is that I live in Queens, NYC, and just bought a house with a shared driveway that is only 83" wide at its narrowest. We needed a six-seater that I could easily pull into the back yard since parking on the street is a nightmare in this city, so it was either this, a Ford Transit Connect or a Kia Rondo. We didn't find any good Rondos around, and Transit Connects are all ridiculously overpriced in this market, but this one came in at just the right price for us. At 69" inches wide (without mirrors) and with mirrors that fold perfectly flat, this is really the best of the three, anyway. I'm surprised more people in NYC don't own these things...

My 5 has black alloy aftermarket rims on it that look like they've seen better days, and those are mounted with some super beefy winter tires. I noticed when I turn the front wheels all the way that there's a rubbing noise and I am pretty sure the tires are too big for this vehicle. Wondering if I should try to adjust the suspension to give them more room. I don't think rolling the fenders would do any good since the rubbing is more toward the back inside of the wheel well. Any thoughts? 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/29/20 11:35 a.m.

In reply to TuBlonde :

Welcome! 

Your tire rubbing noises are likely the inside of the tire contacting the plastic splash shield inside the wheelwell. I wouldn't worry about it. What size are the tires? I didn't need to roll my fenders until 245's.

Flipcyde
Flipcyde
5/21/20 12:28 a.m.

Hi,

I'm new here. My apologies if this has been answered already.

I have a 2008 Mazda 5. Do the cooler 2006-2007 Mazda 5 tail lights fit on the 2008 model? 

Thanks in advance.

5/21/20 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Flipcyde :

They do! However only for the Sport 08-10 lights. If you have the Touring or GT LED taillights you will need to swap the wiring harness plug as well.

6/12/20 6:31 p.m.

For the second time in my life I am Mazda5-less.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
6/29/20 8:50 a.m.

Has anybody tried 3 baby/kid car seats? I am just wondering I have 2 kids and if I pick up one of my kids friends if they can all fit.

6/29/20 9:29 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

The third row has no latch anchors or tethers for front facing car seats. You can do boosters only in the third row.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/20 9:39 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

The third row has no latch anchors or tethers for front facing car seats. You can do boosters only in the third row.

FYI:

https://us.britax.com/product-knowledge/articles/about-latch/

Its okay to use lap/3-point belts.

BTW, not a lot of fullsize SUVs can handle 3-abreast car seats, let alone something the size of a Mazda 5.  There's a lot of variables involved.

There are some car seats that work better for three across than others, but I would look at the seats you're using/have available and measure the stackup compared to the room in the Mazda 5.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0PW5Nq0Oxoy5cKebv9zNVZd845K7v1K3u28RBhhUAwYokCnsPUmWLxNXxR5pCmG3