Sounbwoy
Sounbwoy New Reader
12/13/20 11:08 p.m.

For as long as I've had my 2010 (aka TourBus1), I have no idea why I didn't add to this thread (or maybe I have and I forgot). Rather than read all the posts to see, I'll say hello and add my 2010 Sport to the mix. Automatic, purchased new in December 2010, currently at 196,xxx miles, and running well. I'll never get rid of it. It's the best car I've ever owned. It's been in the body shop twice when a driver behind me couldn't stop in time and once when a driver decided he wanted my lane where I was IMMEDIATELY.  Other than that, ZERO engine work other than spark plug replacement/oil/coolant/trans/brake fluid fluid changes.

I've replaced the front sway bar bushings a couple times, motor mounts once, changed out struts/shocks/bushings a couple years ago with stock replacements.. as much I wanted to lower and go a little more aggressive, I decided against it since as a semipro musician (still have a ft job), I have to carry my gear and sometimes my family goes with me on gigs. I was also lazy and didn't want to bother with greasing bushings! The only visible mod are the Miata (NC) wheels with a crappy paint job and North Carolina legal tint (35 Front/50 everywhere else).

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
12/14/20 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Sounbwoy :

Sweet looking 5. They look great in black and it seems to be a rare color from my experience.  Rims help too.  You're in-it-to-win-it with almost 200k since new lol. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/14/20 9:30 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

For the second time in my life I am Mazda5-less.

I never posted here when mine sold either. 206,000 miles with minor maintenance and a clutch on a 12 sport that I ordered new. Did 250 total miles in the last two years I owned it and hated seeing it sit so I gave a guy a great deal with the Volks and it drove off to its new job as a baby carrier for his family.

Sounbwoy
Sounbwoy New Reader
12/14/20 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Matt B (fs) :

Thanks. Yep..paid for and gonna drive it till it blows up... I secretly hope/wish that if it happens I can then make my version of the Autobarn MS5.. One can dream!

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
12/16/20 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Sounbwoy :

That would certainly solve one of the few wishlist items I had for my 5!  IIRC there was a significant hurdle getting the factory turbo motor to work in that chassis.  I think it had something to do with the electrons.  I've wondered if it wouldn't be easier to just go with an aftermarket FI setup.

Sounbwoy
Sounbwoy New Reader
2/6/21 10:57 p.m.

;-)

wae
wae UberDork
2/8/21 8:29 a.m.

Made a fairly major improvement to my wife's 5 last night:

Boss BE7ACP with the steering wheel adapter and install kit from Crutchfield along with a two-port USB extension bezel and a parking brake fake-out from Amazon.  The two annoying things about the Sport version is the lack of Bluetooth and the lack of heated seats.  This takes care of the first problem.  I put the external microphone in the same location as the stock one would be, under the little peak in the cluster surround.  I'm not sure I like it there - when she talks on the phone she still sounds a little far away - so we might try moving it about the cabin a bit to get a clearer response.  That said, having the Android Auto functionality is pretty nice - the phone plugs in to the top USB port and then all the YouTube Music, Google Podcasts, Google Maps, and Messenger functionality runs through the head unit's touchscreen.  The steering wheel controller also provides the reverse signal to the head unit so if I had a camera installed, it would handle all of that without needing to hack away at the wiring harness, which is nice.  Definitely spring for the parking brake defeat doohickey, though.  It keeps the unit fully unlocked at all times so you can change settings or do whatever when you're at a stoplight or if you have a passenger or whatever.

Racebrick
Racebrick New Reader
2/8/21 9:01 a.m.

I just sold my 2014 6 speed, and I have to say that 5 was a great car. The guy I sold it to was a total idiot, but that isn't the cars fault. 90k, and I only ever changed fluids, and brakes.

Sounbwoy
Sounbwoy New Reader
2/8/21 6:00 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Been meaning to do stereo upgrade too! Gotta do more research on Android Auto. Looks nice.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/10/21 9:22 a.m.

Anyone done rear door lock actuators on one of these?  the power locks on our sliding doors arent working consistently. 

Just want to know if there are any "gotchas"

Sounbwoy
Sounbwoy New Reader
2/12/21 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Never had an issue, but try this thread on Mazda 247

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/sliding-door-lock-actuator-replacement.123761729/page-3#post-6470958

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/12/21 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I did one on my first one about a decade ago. I don't remember it being that difficult.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/8/21 11:10 a.m.

Figured I'd bump the ownership thread with some questions and comments about the ownership of my mazda5. 

I've already put 1000 miles on my what was 21k mile 2009 mazda5. The seller was honest about all the damage to the bumper, but didnt think it was necessary to mention the giant dents all over the bottom of the passenger doors someone tried to knock out. He took 500 off, so my purchase price was 7000. For 2021 money, I'm happy with that purchase. Already working with a body shop on getting those fixed, as well as window tint. Holy fishbowl this has alot of windows. 

My biggest complaint I have so far is a minor one, but why is there no storage in this thing? There's room for compartments everywhere, but the only single compartment with a door is the glove compartment. Not even a sunglass spot Mazda? coming from a lexus with 8 different storage compartments, its a bit of an adjustment. 

The back seats were never used, and with my 3 kids thats going to change quickly. has anyone purchased seat covers? I prefer leather for kids use for a reason, its only a matter of time before these seats absorb something. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/21 11:13 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

The Mazda cloth is particularly adept at staining, so seat covers would be a wise investment. Just a note, the Grad Touring models have "leather" that swaps right in if you find a set at Pick and Pull. Have you found the storage under the second row seats? What about the smuggler's compartment in the back on the passenger side? The front is a little lacking. IIRC, the 3rd gen (2012-15) center console swaps in and has more storage.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/21 11:29 a.m.

So, my wife's 06 is up to eating a quart of oil every 300 miles....

Good links to 2.5 swap in an early mazda5?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/21 11:53 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

Searching Atlanta of car-part.com it seems that junkyards sell black cloth 2nd row seats for $100- $150.  There is white car with tan leather shown in Buford, GA but no price given.  

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/8/21 1:18 p.m.

Who wants one?

If all goes well mine will be on the market this summer.  It’s back a few pages.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/8/21 1:36 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

Both back seats are storage compartments, just lift up the lower cushion, there are also two more cup holders there.   Conveniently located for sunglass storage.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/8/21 2:46 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

convenient? I mean, getting out of the car, lifting up the back seat to find the one storage compartment I struggle to call convenient :D 

I did find those compartments, but driver accessible compartments would be nice. if the 3rd gen center console swaps that would be perfect. I'll do some digging to see if it works. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/26/23 8:50 p.m.

Ok, so I'd rather Necro bump this thread than start a new one, but I need to appeal for help to keep me out of the dog house.

My wife's 06 mazda5 has stopped detecting when the driver's door is opened. Now, it's not a big deal, until the 6th time I have left the lights on because my DD automatically shuts it's off and hers now no longer dings at me when I do. Meaning we go to go somewhere and it's dead.

I can't for the life of me find how it detects. I have seen a little nub button sold online, but searching the door jamb I can't find it or anything likely. Before I tear the door apart. Again. (Recently replaced door handle) trying to figure it out. Anyone know my answer?

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
4/27/23 1:59 p.m.

Silly question, but sure it's the sensor and not the speaker that dings that has failed?  Does it work for the interior light detection?  Our LR3 uses a separate speaker for "information" noises, and they fail (ours is u/s at the moment).

Here's an online parts catalogue for the 5 if it helps...

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/vehicle?c=MAZDA2020&ssd=%24%2AKwHi1sftvZzj54Gbnp7Ys7qujomX5unk5ffY66OlloKempib3snlj6GloZCGn47I1d_i6-Ops76yscner663pJelr6G9u8ep4uQAAAAAjWjGQA%3D%3D%24&vid=1941474280&cid=894&cname=Y4.+BODY+INTERIOR+TRIM&q=

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/27/23 6:18 p.m.

No lights, doors automatically lock as though the door hasn't been opened, all signs point to not sensing. 

Wonder if it's integrated to the latch

wae
wae PowerDork
4/27/23 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I know that Ford of that era was big on integrating the door switch into the latch.  That might have been cross-pollinated to Mazda.

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
4/27/23 6:41 p.m.

Ah ok.  Just checked on my 1st gen 3, and there's nothing visible, so I assume it's inside the door.  Google says yep, it's inside the lock 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/27/23 6:53 p.m.

In reply to paul_s0 :

Thanks. Will see if I have a few minutes tomorrow to tear into the door. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m8c4WNTXj3QDYpmnBVlkcnw6TRmIpqt7oQ8mcmlk5nxyoz0Ct1S4Jha7S1aQIMn2