2 3 4
asetech
asetech New Reader
9/12/13 10:59 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: ... Unless you have a Mitsubishi V6 or a PT Cruiser, you likely have nothing to complain about.

PT cruiser timing belts are one of the worst ever... NO room to get to it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
9/12/13 11:46 a.m.

Hyundai t-belts are gravy. Especially the newer Alpha motors. I am guessing my wife's new car will take me an hour.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
9/12/13 11:48 a.m.

I will take whatever chain or belt comes in the car I am interested at the time. I really don't care and the method to drive the cam will not weigh on my vehicle decision.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/12/13 7:21 p.m.
asetech wrote: PT cruiser timing belts are one of the worst ever... NO room to get to it.

There's a way to do it with not so much screaming and yelling, and it's still faster than dropping the engine and trans out the bottom.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/12/13 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

The only time I did one (in the driveway) it took a day and a half. We ended up removing all the engine mounts IIRC and then lifting and lowering the motor to get the frame rail out of the way. Did not disconnect the AC as specified in the manual.

I think the Chilton's shop time was almost 9 hours.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/12/13 7:46 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I think the Chilton's shop time was almost 9 hours.

We charged 7.5hrs without a WP change at the one dealership.... You spend all your time trying to tension the belt after killing yourself to get the pulleys all in alignment.

atm92484
atm92484 New Reader
9/12/13 8:33 p.m.

I'll stick to chain. All sport bike engines use a chain and they have a factory redline of 13-14k rpm. If one can last the life* of a bike I'll take its chances in a less abused car engine.

Knurled wrote: The new breed of Ford Duratecs, the Quad 4 and Ecotec, and plenty of Chryslers run the water pump off of the chain.

How new are we talking on the Duratec? I have a 2007 2.0 in the Locost and its water pump is off of the accessory belt. It would be a nice option for the future if everything was internal.

*"life" is obviously a subjective value in this context - so anywhere between 100 and 80,000 miles

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/12/13 8:47 p.m.

3.5/3.7 V6.

I'm working on an engine right now that has everything internally gear driven. Crank gear drives the cam gear and the oil pump gear. Cam gear also drives the water pump gear - the "water pump" is just a cover, the pump itself is part of the timing cover.

Neat stuff.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RaNLqpnBrnQxEjQmDbffOvmnbqHA1mrQaApaYrTlfHyNkTPkNP6yHZEpYx6qkS0x