1 2 3
NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
1/4/19 1:57 p.m.

Hey all.  As I approach my birthday, I'm looking at my bucket list and weighing what I can check off this year.  One of the line items is to drive over 200mph.  Being in FL there are really only x2 venues within 500 miles that I may be able to do this: 1/4 mile drag racing and 1/2 mile top speed events (Wanna go fast, Cape Canaveral events) .  The top speed events seem like the simpler route to get there. i.e. more distance = less HP and danger necessary. Texas mile is also viable.  So I have venue options, now what car?  

I have been brainstorming options and have a couple that seem like the easy button:

Mercedes SL55 AMG, SL600, and CL600 with a chip/tune.  All of those can be picked up for $20K ish and with a tune/chip to delimit should go over 200mph. Found an article that a delimited SL55 AMG will do 203.  This seems to be the easy button.  

BMW M5/M6 V10 - These are rapidly appreciating in value but a v10 M5 sedan can be bough under $20K.  From what I have read a Supercharger would be necessary to go over the 200mph mark.  So, I would need to hold out to find one already SC.  

Corvette/Camaro/CTS-V - These don't seem to have the HP out of the box. I don't think they have the gearing either.  Is there an easy rear end fix that could put these in the 200mph club?  

Retired Nascar - This is another one of my top choices.  The platform seems ideal/safe. Rollers can be found for $10-15K  Drop in your 800hp engine of choice and 200mph should click by without issue.  

Is there another option I am missing?  How would you attack going over 200mph?  

calteg
calteg Dork
1/4/19 2:02 p.m.

The megasquirt team built a budget 200mph 240sx to challenge a bonneville land speed record:

https://performanceracing.com/news/diyautotunes-megasquirt-3-pro-240sx-breaks-record

https://www.diyautotune.com/news/results/land-speed-racing/jerry-hoffmann-sets-new-record-217-3913mph/

Bear in mind at those speeds, aero matters much more than HP. Apparently that body of 240sx is pretty aerodynamic right out of the box

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/4/19 2:04 p.m.

Step 1: Find the lightest, most aero body that is easily available.  A Prius or 1st gen Insight comes to mind.

Step 2: stuff a ton of HP under the hood. Convert to RWD if desired.

Step 3: Try not to die.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/4/19 2:05 p.m.

Lotus Esprit SE running S4s code with a good tuneup.  A guy I know dropped the hammer once and did 186 by GPS flat out for ten minutes.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/4/19 2:05 p.m.

For the C5, a stock one can get close to 170mph top speed, you'll need oversized rear tires, aero mods and a bit more power to get the rest of the way. But the SL55 AMG seems like the easy button if it just needs the limiter turned off.

I've thought that a 2JZ-powered belly tank racer could make a lot of sense. Narrow engine that can make a lot of power with light mods in a narrow body...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/4/19 2:11 p.m.

3rd gen Firebird GTA.  M-20 Muncie.  Rear axle gears deep into the 2's to keep the driveshaft speeds down.  Built a 4.8 with a turbo and aim for ~650 hp at 7k.  

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/4/19 2:20 p.m.

The easy button is a bike.  Hayabusa with a sprocket change and small nitrous shot will get you in the 200mph club irrc either 1 or 1.5 miles.

You are on the right track with the big Benz coupes.  I know a modified cl65 has done 200 in 1.5, so a cl600 could probably pull it off too.

I have a tuned cl600,  and it’s a beast.  Tough to work on,  but man what a car.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/4/19 2:25 p.m.

Buy this Dodge viper Gen III with a salvage title for about 23K. 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-2004-dodge-viper/6767514794.html

Cam and Blower. and do 225+ in the standing mile and sell it for more then you paid. 

grover
grover HalfDork
1/4/19 2:41 p.m.
Cotton said:

The easy button is a bike.  Hayabusa with a sprocket change and small nitrous shot will get you in the 200mph club irrc either 1 or 1.5 miles.

sure, but how does he hook up the trailer to carry his balls in? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/4/19 2:50 p.m.

I think you'll need a significant amount of increased HP even with the SL55 AMG + drag reduction. Just because it will theoretically do 203, doesn't mean it will 203 in the amount of land you have available. 

You could buy a new liter bike, remove the speed limiter and do it no problem. 

A liter bike will do 150mph in the 1/4 if you can get it off the line.  Hell 15 years ago even my R6 would do ~125 in the 1/4 and I wasn't excellent at getting it off the line. 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/4/19 2:52 p.m.

There's a HUGE difference between a car that will go 200mph and one that will do so in a half mile.

I think the recipe would be a long wheelbase (for stability), decent aero, and 1000+ horsepower. Boosted LS truck motor would be the easiest on a budget. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/4/19 2:56 p.m.

Oh, I missed the 1/2 mile thing.  In that case, yeah, my answer just went from 4.8 to 6.0 and with more boost.  1,000 hp sounds like a better target.  And now I don't know what trans is best.  Maybe there's somebody building up Muncie's to deal with that much power but I have my doubts.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/4/19 3:00 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Buy this Dodge viper Gen III with a salvage title for about 23K. 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-2004-dodge-viper/6767514794.html

Cam and Blower. and do 225+ in the standing mile and sell it for more then you paid. 

This.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/4/19 3:02 p.m.

Also don't forget, at least for me, I would want SIGNIFICANT safety equipment in a car I was planning on breaking the 200mph barrier with. Cage, halo seat, helmet, etc, etc, would easily eat $5k of that budget. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/4/19 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

That dude covered as much as 31 miles in just that 10 minutes! 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/4/19 3:17 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Also don't forget, at least for me, I would want SIGNIFICANT safety equipment in a car I was planning on breaking the 200mph barrier with. Cage, halo seat, helmet, etc, etc, would easily eat $5k of that budget. 

This.  I was thinking $10k in safety equip for something capable of doing 200mph in 1/2 mile.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/4/19 3:18 p.m.

Send $29,999 to Andrew Nelson. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/4/19 3:19 p.m.
Ian F said:

Step 1: Find the lightest, most aero body that is easily available.  A Prius or 1st gen Insight comes to mind.

For 1/2 mile testing it may be beneficial to be light, but for bonneville, you heavier is usually better (more stable).  

The Prius or insight probably have a ton of lift, which can get super bad at high speeds.   I'd be careful there.

I'd want to minimize CdA, with minimal lift right behind that.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/4/19 3:37 p.m.

it looks like the c5 corvette with the 6 speed comes with a 3.42 rear gear and the automatics came with either a 3.15 or 2.73. Without doing the math I'd imagine mating even the 3.15 should get you to your target since the T-56 is a double overdrive. Then just add power and party

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
1/4/19 3:39 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

A daily driver type of car or a built for racing car?  

Pick up an older Indy car and dump a Chevy V8 in it with a pair of Turbo’s. 

Roger Rager  did it with a 3-4 year old March and a V8 out of a school bus. Actually wound up leading the Indy 500 for a while.   Said he was on the Grid for $20,000

same with a old NASCAR put a cheap LS Engine in with a pair of turbo’s. Might make it under $10,000 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
1/4/19 3:46 p.m.
Ian F said:

Step 2: stuff a ton of HP under the hood. Convert to RWD if desired.

Step 3: Try not to die.

Frontal area beats drag.  In other words in a small car with little frontal area it will push less air than a bigger slippery car.  

Easiest way to reduce frontal area? Remove windshield. In 1949 Jaguar went 148 mph with their XK 120 and a bubble canopy over the driver. Power ( gross, was 160 hp) 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/4/19 3:54 p.m.

C5 Corvette, Ebay turbos and a 200 shot. Migjt only do it once, but itll do it. 

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/4/19 3:55 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Send $29,999 to Andrew Nelson. 

Best response so far! laugh

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/4/19 4:09 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
z31maniac said:

This.  I was thinking $10k in safety equip for something capable of doing 200mph in 1/2 mile.

I suspect you're right that it would be closer to $10k than $5k. I was just thinking at least an 8pt cage, FIA seat, HANS, a fire bottle as a minimum. 

10+ point cage, higher end FIA seat, nets, fire suit, helmet, fire system with nozzles in the cockpit and engine compartment (takes a long time to slow down from that speed if something lets loose and starts a fire).

80sFast
80sFast Reader
1/4/19 4:22 p.m.

Vette seems like a good option, but maybe a 996 could get it done.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ATzrm0LmdVJK1p5EfnkaVQUolCsaPjTz5LHW2brKLftyxCX3F0XyWMM1Tlkvc1fV