1 2
Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/31/15 1:32 p.m.

What'd you think it was? lol!

Stolen from the Vortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7239202-something-ive-never-seen-or-heard-of-before-berkeley-content

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/31/15 2:10 p.m.

Doesn't surprise me that no one on the Vortex knows how to Berkley.

The Hoff
The Hoff SuperDork
8/31/15 2:12 p.m.

Vortex is full of berkeleytards

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
8/31/15 2:52 p.m.

Oh Freedo, how you've made it around the internet.

stan
stan UltraDork
8/31/15 3:22 p.m.

One of those was driving around at the Good Guys in Columbus. People stopped and stared...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
8/31/15 4:09 p.m.

Given the decayed state of the boards on the ground, I think somebody should send in an etymology team from a local university before they start working on that car.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
8/31/15 5:01 p.m.

That is sweet. I like it. Nothing like a full sized road legal car under 1000 lb with me in it.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/31/15 5:36 p.m.

Didn't GRM (grassrootsmotorsports) have a Berkely as a project some time ago.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/31/15 5:52 p.m.

Berzerkley. It was cool.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/31/15 7:02 p.m.

Ya know, it might just be the beer talkin', but I bet one of those things with a monster crotch rocket motor in it instead of that little English thing... That would be awesome.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
8/31/15 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

I enjoy your newsletter, and would like to subscribe

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
8/31/15 7:28 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Ya know, it might just be the beer talkin', but I bet one of those things with a monster crotch rocket motor in it instead of that little English thing... That would be awesome.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
8/31/15 8:02 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Ya know, it might just be the beer talkin', but I bet one of those things with a monster crotch rocket motor in it instead of that little English thing... That would be awesome.

Ojala
Ojala HalfDork
8/31/15 8:05 p.m.

Sigh...that berzerkly was one of the best terrible ideas ever.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/31/15 8:54 p.m.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
8/31/15 8:56 p.m.

Actually......Isn't this the perfect application for this:

Seems like a perfect fit.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/1/15 8:07 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:

Sigh. This (minus powertrain) is still perched on my back porch. One of these days I'll stuff a bike motor in the back...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/1/15 8:31 a.m.

Well, I still have a shaft drive bike motor available for anyone who wants to do it.....

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/1/15 8:32 a.m.

And with that post I became a SuperDork!! Where is my GRM acro-speak decoder ring?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/1/15 8:40 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
Sigh. This (minus powertrain) is still perched on my back porch. One of these days I'll stuff a bike motor in the back...

I know that the problem it had was that it was tipsy, what size wheels did it take? I know you can get Federal 595 in 13's (I think 205 width at that), so I wonder if it would be more reasonable with less grip.

Lets face it, with a bike motor its AM for autocross and hopeless, so lower grip for safer and more fun?

hmmm

Is the body still with it?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
9/1/15 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

I thought that project went way beyond what a car keeping to that size could have handled.

Then again, the Berkeley is a body that more than one driver uses out on the Salt.

The guy who put in a simple 400cc air cooled motor had a good idea. Similar to the Honda S600 with a period upgrade.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/1/15 11:23 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

I would really like to see some basic math done on that chassis. Center of Gravity, roll center, roll axis, camber curves, etc... The suspension is just odd and there is so much heavy crap up high for such a narrow car. It would be nice to know if there are some basic design flaws that could be fixed to allow a similar build that wouldn't tip over.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/1/15 11:42 a.m.

That car begged for super long suspension arms. Turn her into an open wheeled terror.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg HalfDork
9/2/15 1:30 p.m.

i really wish the original build was still up on the grm project cars section, same with the old LeGrand...

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
9/2/15 1:44 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: i really wish the original build was still up on the grm project cars section, same with the old LeGrand...

LeGrand:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1976-legrand-mk-18/

Berkley:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1959-berkeley-sports/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TI5nRTddY0Ms00Cf9DCurURDDeYZmBrMli9KM8SyBgi0GQN9YsvipD2vEgyM2egb