AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/11/22 2:16 p.m.

Okay, I just picked up a 2018 Civic Si as my new commuter.  It's a long but very peaceful commute.  Long....  I wanted a fun car that gets good mileage.  The GRM Civic Si project car convinced me to try Honda.  I am glad I did.

I love the car but I hate the chrome trim above the windows.  I also dislike the wheels.  I'm thinking something light in a painted color; black or bronze, maybe silver.

I'd love to experience this car on sticky rubber but it's a long commute in varied weather.  When it's wet out; it's super wet.  I'm thinking ultra high performance all season rubber is the way to go.

What are the recommendations?  I want something I can drive lots of miles on that could survive autocross and track days (once a year or so if I'm inclined to).

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/11/22 4:50 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

How many miles daily? I think I'd be sorting tires by best performance in the rain, coupled with the longest wearing ones. If they happen to suck for autox pick up a set of used wheels & pop on whatever 200tw tire is on clearance. 

6/11/22 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

150 miles 4 times a week.

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/11/22 6:16 p.m.

Continental dws06+

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
6/11/22 8:44 p.m.

^ Those or Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/15/22 11:41 a.m.

When you say "all-season," are you including winter? Or would a summer tire work? 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/15/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

I've had a couple of sets, great street tire. Definitely not an autocross tire. 

6/15/22 1:49 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm in MS so I don't really need snow capable but I need heavy rain capable.  It's super hard not to break down and order Rays gram lights for this car with tires.  I could do motegi traklites and save a fortune.  SSR and Momo have some nice looking choices too.  

trucke
trucke SuperDork
6/15/22 1:58 p.m.

When you say 'best', the earlier choices are those.  If you want a long wearing tire, that handles well in dry and wet and is also quiet and offers good economy (lower rolling resistance).  The General Altimax RT43 is a less expensive offering than the other choices.  This is a good plan C.

General Altimax RT43

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/15/22 2:43 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Okay, so sounds like a "three season" tire would work. If you don't need the snow capability, that opens some more options. 

Does anything on our tire guide sound promising? (Specifically thinking one of the "One Lap" tires like the Michelin PS4S or Continental ECS.)

6/15/22 3:20 p.m.

I love the ECS and have bought a few sets.  I've always loved Michelin tires too.  I'm worried that at 30k miles a year they won't last very long though.  Commuting is priority #1.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
6/15/22 5:11 p.m.

I had a set of Pilot Sport AS3+ on my Fiesta ST that were perfect until serious snow started hitting the ground.  They were great in the rain and slush and had a lot of grip for a 500 treadwear tire.  Ford ST Octane Academy used this tire on all of their cars for the ST/RS driving school.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
6/15/22 7:53 p.m.

I run General G-Max AS05 on my WRX for daily. I also live in the PNW where it rains at least twice a week. 

They're just OK, but I like them because they're cheap and do decently in the rain and are high treadwear. I keep up on tire rotation schedule and I've done something like 20k miles on them so far and they're holding up great. I heard they're based on the same compound as the superior DWS06+, but the DWS06+ is also much more expensive. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/15/22 8:00 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I love the ECS and have bought a few sets.  I've always loved Michelin tires too.  I'm worried that at 30k miles a year they won't last very long though.  Commuting is priority #1.

I mean at 30k miles a year *nothing* is going to last very long, especially anything with "performance" in the name. If you do some research I think you'll find that a lot of times performance summer tires actually outperform the comparable all seasons in wet conditions, even if that might seem a bit counter-intuitive. In particular, the ECS is basically the king of standing water because of the giant circumferential grooves in it. So I'm honestly not exactly sure what to reccommend, probably still the all season for the little bit better life expectancy.

6/15/22 9:56 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

I spent a lot of time reading tire rack reviews, tests and looking at test data.  I think the Conti DWS06 as suggested right off the bat may be the best bet.  

Now I need to pick wheels.  I do not like the stickers at all.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
6/16/22 1:42 a.m.

I view the dws06 as a winter biased all season. The sidewalls are pretty soft and roll over relatively easily. I'm running -0.8 camber with zero toe on a tsx which has the benefit of double wishbone.  Just put on ps4s which made the car much more enjoyable on windy roads.

The dws06 is also a heavy tire. The ps4s is 4lb lighter for my application.

If you're shelling out money for new wheels, what's an extra 150 for a modern summer tire like the ecs/ps4s?

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/16/22 9:24 a.m.

Maybe I'm just insensitive but I noticed surprisingly little change going from Indy 500s to the dws on my fiesta. It's maybe a touch slower to respond to inputs but it drives really nicely, the balance hasn't really changed, it seems to handle multitasking about as well as I could hope for, and the ride is better if anything. And I beat on the car pretty hard and the tires don't show any signs of abuse so they seem to have pretty good heat tolerance. I'm actually thinking about a set to replace the aged out ECS on my cayman.

Also fwiw the ECS is only a few bucks more in the stock size but currently backordered, the ps4s is only a week out but also nearly $250 more for a set which is a little hard to swallow on tires that are going to be replaced probably every other year.

Our Preferred Partners
a6MLfMugcRWsVKfVbKNWJQ86oTwZ9XRpkQiaU3qqHZBXH51y0mvx5ZMjftB4s0nw