1 2
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
11/24/17 2:13 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I don't care if this is a zombie thread, I'll still recommend this set every time I get a chance. This is what lives in my trailer or goes to the junkyard, except I replaced the box wrenches with HF Gearwrenches.

https://www.harborfreight.com/225-pc-mechanics-tool-set-62664.html

I personally cannot stand when I see people criticizing others for posting in “zombie threads”. 

Anyway, I wonder if flipping through your cars’s repair manual and seeing the tools required for common  jobs and buying those tools would be a good idea?

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 Reader
11/24/17 7:15 a.m.

That can work if you are looking for the minimal possible kit to fit in a small corner of the trunk. I wouldn't recommend it for a garage kit. You can usually get a full set for the same price as getting just the pieces you need. Sometimes the nuts on aftermarket parts are a different size. For instance, miatas are all 10-12-14-17-19 from the factory with a few larger ones for diff/trans/axle, but I have found a few 13mm from replacement parts and bolts. Also, having a full kit means you can help other people or be ready when you buy a different car. 

Rodan
Rodan Reader
11/24/17 9:32 a.m.

I like the little HF tool bags for a trunk toolkit.

Not as organized as the blown plastic 'briefcases', but will hold a lot of stuff while taking up a lot less space.  The 11" bag (above) was a perfect fit for inside the spare in an NA Miata.  They're also dirt cheap!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1qDrRNNHcIvZrkOzRYDhrbO76rZENfEK98zFoK43uJY29wznBkjQJsdUIElXwHih