1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/20 10:38 p.m.

Black with gold stripes never fails to satisfy.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
1/7/20 4:23 a.m.

All black is a bit too drab for me, but lots of black with some mild embellishment and white gumballs really works for me:

rodknock
rodknock Reader
1/7/20 4:43 a.m.

I haven't been able to find a Cobra replica with Mystichrome paint, but I think it would be a cool look. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/7/20 6:03 a.m.

Having owned one and put on shows for them, I've seen them in every color.  Darker red looked great, had a friend with one and the paint job was amazing.  Of course blue/white is a default answer.  I'm a bit biased, but I'm partial to yellow/black stripes.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/7/20 6:42 a.m.

Historically the racers were Guardsman blue with Wimbledon stripes because that was the American livery in International racing. Most of the street cars were solid colors, and I'm pretty sure one of Carroll's own was close to that silvery blue the OP started with.

But almost any bright color looks good on them. I'm partial to solids just because stripes are expected. Something like BRG or a nice Sunshine yellow paired with a nice brown leather interior would be interesting. 

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
1/7/20 6:54 a.m.

Can't find the picture any more, but I saw a Cobra that was black with matte stripes trimmed in red.  It was stunning.  Understated accents, but looked great.  Looked close to the new GT350:

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/7/20 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

Might have been one of the Roush cars:

Image result for roush cobra kit car

Several years back I saw their SEMA car from the previous year at the bottom of one of the mountins in North Georgia. We stopped at the same store and I talked to the owner for a while, nice guy. Showed me all through the car. I was on a road bike at the time...

This one:

It's a stunning machine in person and sounds like God's own anger echoing down the Georgia mountain twisties.

EDIT: Check this one out...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/7/20 8:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Black on Black on Black.  No chrome, but black chrome is ok.

NO.  Just NO.  Black cars just hide all the detail and scuplting.  It's a beautiful body - celebrate it, don't hide it in some dismal, blobby housedress of a color.

I like the light blue pictured; it's understated but flatters the form.  I like the classic American racing dark blue with white stripes too.

For some reason I actively do not like yellow Cobras with black stripes, and I'd be iffy about an all-yellow one, which is surprsing, because I normally like yellow on sports cars.

If I ever repaint my Miata, I want to do it in that nice birds-egg blue MINIs used to come in.  That could look really good on the Cobra, particularly with bronze wheels.

MINI Ice Blue:

Another option could be MINI Kite Blue:

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
1/7/20 8:56 a.m.

Whatever, but don't do this:

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/7/20 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Black is not a blobby house dress color. There's a reason that the little black dress is a thing. Black can be mysterious and alluring. It may not be easy to photograph well, but that doesn't mean it's frumpy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/7/20 9:13 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Duke :

Black is not a blobby house dress color. There's a reason that the little black dress is a thing. Black can be mysterious and alluring. It may not be easy to photograph well, but that doesn't mean it's frumpy.

I disagree.  I don't think black cars look good in real life or in pictures.  You can't see any openings or shadow lines.  At best you get a few glinty highlights.  And especially not black-on-black-on-black cars.  There's just no relief.  I really really dislike all-black wheels - you need at least a polished lip to give it some definition.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
1/7/20 9:41 a.m.

Black naturally diminishes the visibility of shapes and details. At close distance and under great lighting, this brings an extra subtlety to the shapes and details, that many enjoy. But as the distance increases and/or lighting deteriorates, this transitions to becoming more and more of a colorless and featureless outline, that many don't enjoy. It's a matter of personal preference as to which is more important though.

Personally, I grow weary of the monochromatic sea of cars on the road. 99% of what I see is black, nearly black, gray, silver, nearly silver, or white. Bleh, boring. Give me some pop of real color...Preferably one that not only stands out a bit from the monotony of the cars around it, but celebrates both the subtle and not so subtle curves of a naturally beautiful shape under a variety of viewing distances and lighting.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/23/22 7:00 a.m.

Has ANYONE ever seen a Cobra that looked bad?  In ANY color?

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
6/23/22 7:56 a.m.

Wimbledon White

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/23/22 8:48 a.m.

White with blue stripes or blue with white stripes. 

I like white cars, so I would probably go white with blue stripes.  

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/23/22 8:52 a.m.

Ford Blue with white stripes and copious chrome is clearly the only answer... right?! 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/23/22 9:25 a.m.
SV reX said:

Has ANYONE ever seen a Cobra that looked bad?  In ANY color?

Yes.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/23/22 9:44 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I figured somebody would make sure to prove me wrong on that. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/23/22 10:54 a.m.

On that polished raw alloy car - I saw one of those when I was vintage racing at Laguna Seca, and the poor owner wasn't able to do anything all day except sit beside the car saying "Please don't touch the car" and when someone did, he be running a polishing cloth over it.   Impressive look, but not a recipe for a relaxed weekend!

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/23/22 11:18 a.m.

Now that a 2.5 year old thread was brought back, what color is the car?

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/23/22 3:37 p.m.

Ugh, another "what should I like" thread... how would we know what you'll like.

It's like asking "what underwear should I buy?" Oy.

Edit: for those of us who wear underwear.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/23/22 6:33 p.m.
kazoospec said:
MrFancypants said:

Blue with white stripes. 

By "blue with white stripes" are we talking about this combo?

Ditto

But that is sort of "standard".  So don't do it.

The Cobra was a race car for the street, so do it like a period race car.  Meatballs, numbers and some contingency decals on the side.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hDdcYjK8RAopFqigqtFVZC5C5uf5gEzrw9WC2x6rhQlXIDYPlaFLxSy7zrhiAGXB