1 2
johndej
johndej HalfDork
11/4/19 8:02 p.m.

I've seen some 4 door and coupe spec e30s rolling continental rain tires with race wheels/tires and camping gear packed up in the back. Had antique tags drive themselves to the track.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/4/19 8:41 p.m.

Pretty shocked nobody has suggested an e36. Buy someone else's caged sedan and you can fit everything in you need, and the sedan will be cheaper than a coupe.

But, like everything on the track, if you're going fast or hard or fast and hard enough to have a cage...you'll need a tow at some point.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
11/4/19 10:35 p.m.

RX8, Miata, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, FRS, BRZ, 350z/G35

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/5/19 7:35 a.m.

I wouldn't really want to be driving a full-caged car on the street. As always, remember the helmet padding for roll bars is still designed for a helmeted head, not your bare noggin'.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
11/5/19 8:58 a.m.
Rodan said:
WonkoTheSane said:

I just drove my spec Miata to NJMP from CT this weekend for a track day...

I'm very interested to know what specifically you plugged the NACA window vent with... looks like maybe an Eclipse type vent?  I have the same NACA vents and have been looking for something as alternative to foam... 

Yep, you're close.  I spent the big bucks at jegs and Ordered these.  They're like $14 a piece.  I got them because they listed all the specs online.  Just use a heat gun on the round part of the NACA duct and they'll seal right in there.  It's an amazing upgrade, makes it way more pleasant to be able to direct the air where it's needed.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
11/5/19 10:11 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Thanks!

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
11/5/19 11:23 a.m.

I used my Showroom Stock C Miata has a daily driver as well as racing and autocrossing it. There were some events where I was the last race of the day so I'd end up leaving the race tires on the car and drove to work on Monday then I'd swap them out after work. All I brought was an extra wheel, ummounted tire, torque wrench, fan belt and enough tools to change said fan belt. I'm only 5' 7" so my head was/is well below the roll cage (read not a big chance of hitting my head).

If I were doing out of town events I'd be looking at a tiny trailer to haul the stuff. If you ran on 200tw tires that would lighten the load some as you wouldn't have to haul an extra set of wheels.

A 4 door hatch is pretty hard to ignore as a viable option. The cage can be done in such a manner as to leave the cargo bay wide open.

A fellow vintage racer runs a 510 station wagon; there are loads of wagons out there that could be modified into a very competent track day autocross car. Being weird like I am I'd gravitate towards a 80s Corolla wagon with a 4AG  motor swap but something like an Imprezza/WRX would be a better choice.

As for formula cars:

I run a Formula 500 and they are the cheapest option as well as being the fastest of the non-winged formula cars (Faster than Formula Ford or Formula Vee). The only thing faster than it at autocross are the shifter Karts.

My car weighs 595lbs without me in it so they are easy to tow.

If you've prepped the car properly you shouldn't need to fuss with it track side other than tire pressures as filling it up with fuel. 

There are  two power trains; Two stroke snowmobile engines & 600cc  sportbike motors. The motorcycle motored cars are more expensive to buy and not the preferred set up for autocross. For a road course only car they are what likely what you'd want. The 2 stroke cars can be had for as little as 4K and a good one for 6-7K.  

A word on two strokes before anyone chimes in about reliability; if you jet them properly they are not an issue. Try to get that last 1/2 horsepower out of it and go to lean and you'll seize it. I jet my car slightly rich and then leave it alone. I actually jet the car for the cooler part of the year knowing that I'm giving up a little power in the warmer months. I also make sure to warm it up properly

The big down side of a formula car is it may not be eligible for the track days you attend. If they do allow formula cars are you OK with mixing it up with sedans? The other issue is if you have a HANS device  you may need to get a new one that works with the semi lay down driving position.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/5/19 11:33 a.m.

I think they have that problem licked in Australia and New Zealand with their 'Ute' racers - small engine pick ups (that very often end up with V8s) with a truck bed to haul wheels in.

aw614
aw614 Reader
11/5/19 11:55 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

2001 Integra GSR 5MT Sedan. Bought the exact car, for the exact purpose you describe 

Even the three door can handle a crap ton of stuff as the hatch helps with cargo room. I can fit four 15in tires with the back seats down and still have plenty of room for a bag of clothes and tools in the trunk and a passenger is the front seat

newrider3
newrider3 New Reader
11/5/19 1:46 p.m.

If you get a slightly bigger trailer, and your choice of track car under 2500 lbs or so, you'll find that the minivan is all the tow rig you really need. I tow our Lemons Starlet with my '13 Grand Caravan on a lightweight UTV trailer. It tows and rides like a dream, better than any pickup + heavy trailer combo that I've driven, and gets 20 mpg minimum while doing it. I'm sure it would handle a Miata or Civic or similar track car just as well.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
11/5/19 5:15 p.m.

To clarify the 2500 lbs comment; a Starlet is a 1600lb car and that might weigh 700 lbs. I think a Miata might push that combo to the 2800-3000lb mark depending on trailer.  

newrider3
newrider3 New Reader
11/5/19 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Sure, but still well within the rated 3500lb capacity for the van.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/6/19 3:58 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
pinchvalve said:

Great thoughts guys! FWD is preferable to RWD because that is what I know, but either is fine.  I forgot to mention that street legal means that I can autocross in both local clubs, a formula car means cutting my local options in half.

I have some experience in a Neon, some good, some bad (my fault) and I'd love to redeem myself in one again!

I miss my GSR sedan, what a great car.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
11/6/19 4:22 p.m.

@ newrider3 my wife has said that when her Santa Fe wears out she wants another minivan.......I'm looking forward to that.

There was a guy on one of the Datsun forums who installed Miata suspension on a 620 pick up.

OK back to reality; a 4 door be it sedan or hatch is likely the best choice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nxwXcAvMuQWhyYiVb05waZuYHPKarBtk7M5xXVRKIFKdG3j3VdKzm6jlsMzQJtHT