docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/24/21 8:38 a.m.

I've been meaning to buy one of these for awhile.  Given the fact I now have a 28 year old VW in my garage that seems to be fickle with battery issues, carrying one in that car seems like a good idea.

Which one should I get and why?

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/24/21 8:54 a.m.

I bought a DeWalt, and it has been good for a couple of years now.  It spends all summer bouncing around in the damp / hot engine bay of my boat and all winter in the cold garage.  

STM317
STM317 UberDork
8/24/21 9:01 a.m.

My MIL got all of her kids a Halo last year for Christmas. It's a charger and compressor in one pretty compact package. I've been reasonably impressed with it thus far.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/24/21 9:04 a.m.

I think Project Farm on the 'tubez did a comparison test a little while ago. might be worth having a look at.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
8/24/21 9:12 a.m.

I have this one from Amazon. The only thing it won't start is a 6.0 diesel in one of my busses. The lithium battery holds a charge for months without issue, unlike the lead-acid version I used to have. It is awesome. So awesome I've bought one for everyone in my family. I haven't had to rescue anyone with a dead battery since. 

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/24/21 9:23 a.m.

There are some good threads here about this. 

A concern I have about lithium is that, at least in the world of flashes for photography, the batteries can die if they never get used (I've taken to "exercising" them periodically) and they don't like being stored fully charged or fully dead. I've been thinking about getting the lithium jump pack on Project Farm that did so well, because I can use it to charge USB devices to keep it healthy. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
8/24/21 9:26 a.m.

In reply to procainestart :

Mine is 3 years old and still going strong. It does see occasional use as a USB charger and with all the vehicles I have around the yard it does get used every few months. Maybe it gets enough exercise to keep it alive. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/21 10:21 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Some recent GRM Chatter on jump packs.   I like my model from Clore.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
8/24/21 10:42 a.m.

I made one out of an ATV battery , which has more Amp hours than most store bought  boosters

that changes if you also want an air pump, USB plugs, 12v-110v converter etc

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/24/21 6:32 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to docwyte :

Some recent GRM Chatter on jump packs.   I like my model from Clore.

You made me click on a "learn me" thread.   I'm quite disappointed in you now.  As a general rule, I avoid those.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/21 6:43 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Did yous get learned? devil

If not, try this thread with a different title: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/best-affordable-jump-pack/177509/page1/

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
8/24/21 7:29 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

You made me click on a "learn me" thread.   I'm quite disappointed in you now.  As a general rule, I avoid those.

Just for my random curiosity, why is that?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/21 7:38 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I suspect it's a dislike of the improper grammar. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/25/21 8:20 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/25/21 8:43 a.m.

My 2-cents, most battery packs are the same, it's the cord you have to look out for. Remember when gas cans adopted the "safety" nozzle and they suddenly all sucked and didn't work? The same thing happened to jump chargers.

See that little thing on the plug?  It shows you voltage and is a safety device...and it sucks. They fail for one, and for two they cut power after every attempt. So if your vehicle fails to start, you have to get out, remove a clamp, reset it, get back in and try again. It's a pain in the ass in the rain on the side of the highway with a cranky old VW that needs a few tries to start. You'll notice that a lot of units don't show the cord now.

I swear by this unit:

I have three of them and they have been running great for years. As you can see, they have a fuse for protection, but not the BS safety plug.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/25/21 8:49 a.m.

Which one is that bottom one?

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/25/21 9:11 a.m.

I got an everstart one at walmart that does the tire pressure. Even out of the box with no additional charge it started my Corrado. That should be the exact endorsement you need!

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
8/25/21 9:17 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

The bottom one is a Powerall. 

https://www.thepowerall.com/original-standard

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/25/21 9:21 a.m.

Project Farm does indeed have an excellent video on the subject.

I use a NOCO genius and am fairly happy with it.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/25/21 2:35 p.m.

Watched the Project Farm video and went with the GooLoo GP2000 based on his testing and recommendation

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/25/21 2:59 p.m.

I just picked up this one which is pretty nifty.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/25/21 5:27 p.m.

I bought an Audew based on garage journal feedback. I haven't used it yet so I can't vouch for it.

chief8one
chief8one Reader
8/25/21 6:38 p.m.
chandler said:

I bought an Audew based on garage journal feedback. I haven't used it yet so I can't vouch for it.

I bought one as well.  I have used it several times and it works great.  I leave it in my cars glove box, but have used it several times to start my 350 Chevy truck several times in a row with no problem whatsoever.

GeddesB
GeddesB New Reader
8/25/21 8:39 p.m.

I have one like Pinchvalve posted.  It will start my 6.0L truck when completely flat (aka lights left on).   Everything else in the fleet is cake by comparison. 

neverendingprojectgarage
neverendingprojectgarage New Reader
8/25/21 9:36 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

I just picked up this one which is pretty nifty.

I've got this one and I've been very happy with it so far. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v8o1QLaKUoSEcdXLj6z65BonO9DTu9PLChIxSYMezJ0XqgfCp16XAGcZg8NuRboL