Came here to say the same thing.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
2/1/22 9:40 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/1/22 9:43 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

I'm going to go back several decades. The 2.8L V6 from GM had a really cool snarl right from the factory. They put it in the Eurosport, and other non sports cars. My 86 Fiero has it, and I absolutely love the sound.

Came here to say this. From Firebirds and Camaros to Buick and Pontiac wagons. I was in high school and always knew when a GM v6 was going past.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
2/1/22 10:03 p.m.
N7Prime said:

https://youtu.be/GXUqY8iAzhs

Classic 

Those Crown Vics sound better at full boil than they have a right to.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
2/1/22 10:12 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I'm going to go back several decades. The 2.8L V6 from GM had a really cool snarl right from the factory. They put it in the Eurosport, and other non sports cars. My 86 Fiero has it, and I absolutely love the sound.

My brother had a Cavalier Z24 with that engine. It sounded amazing with the cowl induction hood. It sounded many times faster than it was, and I loved rowing through the gears in that car, despite how bad it was. I just had a flashback to how the awkwardly high clutch pedal would occasionally trap my shoe under the dash. 

My vote is the Nissan V8 in the Titan and Armada, such a nice exhaust note stock. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/1/22 10:20 p.m.

The 1uz in the ls/sc400

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
2/1/22 10:49 p.m.

In the way of non performance vehicles, I nominate two from the same manufacturer:  RAM.

The first is any of the late-model HEMI powered 1500 pickups.  They have a fantastic growl right from the factory.

Second, but my personal favorite, is the fantastic clatter of the Cummins-powered heavy duty trucks.  I own a 2005 2500 diesel that is 99% stock with the exception of a K&N drop in filter and a 4" cat-back exhaust.  I've owned all sorts of performance cars making lots of music, but I genuinely get excited every time I start the old girl up.  It's throaty and distinctive.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/2/22 7:54 a.m.
yupididit said:

The 1uz in the ls/sc400

Agreed.  Honestly, most of the aluminum 4 cam small V8s sound pretty good regardless of who built it. 

The BMW M62TU in my E38 (same basic formula as the 1UZ) sounds pretty darn good if you un-cork it a bit.  But as installed in the E38, it's hard to say it sounds good or bad as it just doesn't sound much of anything.  You hear a bit of a decent sounding growl when you really lean into the throttle, but that's it.  Nothing at idle (standing behind the car at idle provides a barely audible deep hum), mid throttle is more of a smooth hum. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
2/2/22 8:11 a.m.

Not going to say it's the "best sounding" but the twin cam Saturn motor made a decent noise when I pulled the resonator off the air box.

That was a case of: intake noise > exhaust noise = more better

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
2/2/22 8:18 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Similar vein - it's close to a performance vehicle but less so than a Cayenne at least: the E53 first gen BMW X5 4.6is and 4.8is have a wonderful sounding factory exhaust.

My dad drove an Infiniti FX35 when I was learning how to drive, I definitely appreciate stock VQ noises.

Any of the pedestrian BMW inline sixes sound great. One of my favorites was a totally stock E60 530i with that 260 hp last generation of natural aspiration. Totally stock except a cold air intake, and it sounded glorious to the point where I've looked at putting one in my E30 instead of the more common swaps.

I actually really like the sound of the 8.1 in my suburban, stock exhaust, stock intake, and there is absolutely nothing performance about it. It never sounds like it is working hard, there isn't much point going past 4700 rpm, but it has this great big block roar when you get in it that probably comes from the huge volumes of air being moved. (I know, I know, it's not a "big block" firing order and should just sound like an LS)

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/2/22 8:25 a.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

Good point on mentioning big blocks.  The boat sounds pretty good at fast cruise.  The induction noise from a pair of 454s singing in sync at 3300 - 3400 RPM is pretty wonderful.  Not a car, but they're not much different from the old, basic truck 454s with a bigger cam.  And it's certainly not a performance vehicle, as 680hp (total, not each) is not much for 27,000 lbs. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
2/2/22 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I have to agree with you on that. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/2/22 10:02 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Sounds like the 4.0 in my xjr. You cannot hear them. 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/2/22 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I'm with you, I dont understand the VQ hate, I think it sounds good. Usually it gets ruined by some cheapo exhaust which gives it a bad a rap but I'm a fan!

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/2/22 10:04 a.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

That is one big thing I miss about my suburban that 8.1 idle was so satisfying, I truly felt I was piloting a boat! 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
2/2/22 10:07 a.m.

g35/37

But, if Im honest - for a non-performance car the best sound is,well, nothing. I want a nice, quiet ride

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/2/22 10:08 a.m.

On the VQ thing, if they've got a good (and not too loud) exhaust and you can hear enough induction noise, they sound good.  But if you just open up the exhaust a ton, can't hear much from the intake and don't put some effort into the exhaust, they can also sound really, really bad. 

Honestly, one of the best sounding V6s I've heard was an Accord with one of the J series V6s (not sure which off hand) with an open dump.  Hearing it at WOT from a bit of distance was one of those "what is making that noise?" moments in a very good way.  A few of us were quite surprised when the Accord appeared and we realized what we were hearing. 

demnted
demnted New Reader
2/2/22 10:13 a.m.

Iron Duke 2.5 with that extra drone blown out or rusted thru muffler, bonus points for valve floating manual shifted auto

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
2/2/22 10:21 a.m.

STM317 beat me to the Merc V12.  Does the Maserati Quatroporte qualify as a "non-performance" car??  It sure doesn't look like it should sound like that.

aw614
aw614 Reader
2/2/22 10:50 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

This may get me thrown off the forum, but I am going to say Nissan VQ35.  Now, I know the exhaust note on these engines are literally a meme fodder, but I've always loved V6's, probably my favorite engine configuration (suck it V8's, flat or cross plane crank).  I think it's aftermarket exhausts that get the stick, but I like the sound of the stock engines when they rev.  And I'll claim the Infinity G35 rather than Datsun 350Z to keep it 'non performance'.

They did come in FWD like in the Altima and Maxima and Infinity FX configurations so you can add that to non performance car configurations

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/2/22 1:59 p.m.

BMWs with timing belts sound pretty good.  

junkc4
junkc4 New Reader
2/2/22 4:20 p.m.

The Vtec Mini van (Old Honda Odyessy)

They sound ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HV-BlVxC8

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/2/22 4:30 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

I always thought the Volvo 4.4L V8 found in the S80 and XC90 had a nice growl to it.

Came here to say this.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
2/2/22 7:29 p.m.

Alfa GTV V6

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/2/22 8:00 p.m.

I prefer a cammed ls pickup truck especially if it has fender exit exhaust because of turbo.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wdJ5T41ccGLkUfPKPFUv4BArpx9tunHUQ7hVdfOPK1hxbzFookBmU5unTi7TK7qf