KATYB
KATYB Dork
10/24/12 12:14 p.m.

ok domestic and firebird means out of my realm of easy knowledge so my friend wants to add some power to her firebird (v6 auto 97) and seems to me that a blower off a grandprix ect may be the easiest way but assuming someone here has added a blower to a 3.8 learn me and where to get whats needed would be apreciated.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/24/12 12:16 p.m.

There's a guy in our Grand Prix club who added the blower to his 96 Camaro but after teething problems he swapped it back out for a turbocharger. It runs 12's now. I'll try and dig up his build from our private board and copy it onto here.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
10/24/12 12:17 p.m.

ok ya this is a 19 yo girl funding what will be done so budget and reliability (do those go together) eh well thats the goal,

yamaha
yamaha Dork
10/24/12 12:26 p.m.

buy a tbird super coupe instead?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/24/12 12:29 p.m.

In reply to KATYB:

Yeah, no, it's way more involved than that. She'd be better off doing about a zillion other things first. A "bolt on and go" project this is not.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
10/24/12 12:32 p.m.

Sell it and buy the same car with a V8.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
10/24/12 12:38 p.m.

I'd leave it alone. Search for a wrecked Z28 or T/A for a suspension upgrade and LSD (steering rack too). Maybe a 5-speed swap if you really want to get deep into it.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/24/12 12:41 p.m.
yamaha wrote: buy a tbird super coupe instead?

what I was thinking... prob cheaper to insure to boot...

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
10/24/12 1:12 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: Sell it and buy the same car with a V8.

Do this. Much cheaper and better in the long run, and easier to sell when the time comes.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
10/24/12 1:18 p.m.

I looked into it once. IIRC, you can't use a roots blower to do it, without cutting up the firewall.......

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/24/12 1:21 p.m.

L67 with a Paxton or similar?

Which makes no sense. Go get a Z28 or keep the current car N/A and hunt for upgrades there.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
10/24/12 1:40 p.m.

If they had never made a V8 version, tuning the V6 would be understandable, but when there is a V8 version that is common and cheap, going to town on the V6 instead is fiscal foolishness.

Will
Will Dork
10/24/12 5:35 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I looked into it once. IIRC, you can't use a roots blower to do it, without cutting up the firewall.......

I know Magnacharger doesn't offer a 4th-gen F-body kit for that very reason.

You can find LS1 cars for $5k these days. That seems like a way better option to me. Or get the Supercoupe, as Yamaha says. You can find those cars incredibly cheap.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
10/24/12 9:03 p.m.

LS4 would use the same transmission as the v-6, and they aren't all that expensive. Only issues would be the flywheel and how the accessories bolt on up front.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/24/12 9:17 p.m.

LS4 against the V6's T5 would be horrible.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/24/12 9:23 p.m.
pres589 wrote: LS4 against the V6's T5 would be horrible.

no, it would be spectacular...as long as someone had their cell phone camera recording video as the clutch is dumped for the first time.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
10/25/12 1:40 a.m.
KATYB wrote: v6 auto

Transmission is the same 4L60E as far as I know, and even if not wasn't the T5 dead by '97?

Another approach would be to see if the ECU from the FWD Grand Prix with the supercharger can control the RWD 4L60E transmission. If so, then add the MAP sensor from the Grand Prix and a turbocharger and you might be able to do it on a GRM budget and relatively low knowledge level.

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
10/25/12 5:54 a.m.

I'd think the absolute cheapest option while retaining the V6, would be a rear-mount turbo?

Forget the intercooler or massive boost, just figure out oil & cooling, and stick it behind the back bumper.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
10/25/12 12:22 p.m.

getting rid of the auto is not an option and engine swap may be, and getting rid of car is not an option either due to sentimental reasons that are beyond control.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sU4m8acjNUwtD57fc54KNfa7Nh0zmjZq28BHzKa7daKjKr0envvvOEAPWy78gmmK