1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 10:41 a.m.

The bumped TAT thread by skierd has renewed my (and the wife's interest since she started reading the thread with me) in aquiring a vehicle of this nature.

I wouldn't be ready to pick one up until about this time next year, so it would give me plenty of time to research the trucks, best $$$ for mods spent, etc etc.

I wouldn't be interested in some exo-skeleton, rock crawler. Something with a small lift, slightly larger tires, that could handle getting far off the beaten path without being a complete travesty on the highway at 65.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
10/10/12 10:42 a.m.

expedition portal

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
10/10/12 10:43 a.m.

You mean like an expedition truck?

expeditionportal.com

Edit: D'oh, beaten!

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 10:56 a.m.

Yeah, kind of like skierd's bike, but with a Jeep so you could have a bit more stuff with you.

Rack up top with extra fuel, etc.

Any reasonable way to get a diesel in an XJ?

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
10/10/12 11:02 a.m.

Diesel, yes. Lots of home brewed 4Bt swaps. A few less Mercedes swaps. And both home brew and commercial VW TDi swaps.

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/tdijeep.htm

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 11:10 a.m.

Or is there a better durable, affordable used vehicle for what I'm looking to do?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/10/12 11:14 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Or is there a better durable, affordable used vehicle for what I'm looking to do?

Inb4 Tommy and "Trooper."

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
10/10/12 11:19 a.m.
modernbeat wrote: http://www.hpamotorsport.com/tdijeep.htm

Whoa...I would be almost tempted to buy a compete swap.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/10/12 11:35 a.m.

Pirate4X4 dot com addressed every off roader I can imagine. It's a good source for information. things for sale and even some empty trailer moves.

They're mostly left coasters.

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
10/10/12 12:54 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Or is there a better durable, affordable used vehicle for what I'm looking to do?

LandCruiser, depending on your definition of affordable.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/10/12 12:58 p.m.

Range Rover.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 1:03 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Range Rover.

You know.... $5000 spent in the right places on a Range Rover Classic could very well be one of the more durable vehicles you could put together. ESPECIALLY if you got your hands on a base model that didn't have the dozens of ridiculous options on it. (All electrical.)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/10/12 1:06 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Believe me I have thought long and hard about that or importing an ex British Army Defender.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 1:08 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Believe me I have thought long and hard about that or importing an ex British Army Defender.

The Range Rover Classic seems easier and cheaper.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/10/12 1:11 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Believe me I have thought long and hard about that or importing an ex British Army Defender.
The Range Rover Classic seems easier and cheaper.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 1:22 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
LandCruiser, depending on your definition of affordable.

I think Landcruiser or ZJ may be a better answer than an XJ anyway.

I'm not sure the wife likes how small the XJs are.

I would put a realistic purchase of the vehicle in the $3-4k range. But around here that doesn't seem to go far.........where are the deals found?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 1:25 p.m.

ZJs are better only because they can often be found for cheaper than XJs. Because they aren't as desirable.

They're also no bigger than XJs, really. They look bigger, but there's no more room inside, and they're actually lower.

Oh, and they feel WAY more underpowered than an XJ. And come bonus with a Chrysler transmission instead of the Aisin in the XJ.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 1:33 p.m.

Thoughts on the LandCruisers?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 1:36 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Thoughts on the LandCruisers?

Way more expensive in the same condition as an equivalent XJ, but probably a bit more comfortable depending on your tastes, heavier, bigger.

Awesome trucks, and as much as it pains me to say it as a Toyota fanboi... i'd take an XJ for the price all day every day.

I believe the Land Cruiser to get is the one with the 1FZ motor... big inline 6.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 1:39 p.m.

Bigger and more comfortable are not bad things in my view.

You are talking about the 94-97 Landcruisers, right?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/10/12 2:12 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Bigger and more comfortable are not bad things in my view. You are talking about the 94-97 Landcruisers, right?

Yeah that run... i may have messed up on engine, i think the 1FZ trucks were one generation before that.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/91-guide/351-top-10-used-overland-vehicles.html

Check that link out... the 100-series will probably make you run screaming for the hills at the price, but the 80-series might be found in decent shape for a RELATIVELY reasonable price if you're very patient.

I also wouldn't hesitate to go older if you find a nice one.

Just have to figure out how important "bigger" is to you.

How big are you? I find my XJ positively roomy, but then again, i'm only 5'9".

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
10/10/12 2:42 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Inb4 Tommy and "Trooper."

Dammit!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
10/10/12 2:42 p.m.

But seriously, Trooper is the answer.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/10/12 4:51 p.m.

I gotta second the Trooper. The 88-91 are more Spartan and IMHO a better pure off roader, but the 92-97 ain't bad. 98-up is a pretty nice rig but like most any car toward the end of its run they got pretty bloated and cushy. The 98-up TOD is nice for a pavement DD and snowy roads, but IMHO won't come close to a part time system in true off roading.There's stories of the TOD programming disengaging the front axle on steep drops.

If you go Trooper huntin' check the ID plate in the engine compartment. G80 = limited slip rear axle.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
10/10/12 4:53 p.m.

Nobody has mentioned 4Runner? Toyota reliability, toughness that even the Taliban loves in the Hindu Kush mountains, and if you get an old one you can run with the top off :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UpQV1J020VpcPaWmvXHMweugU981g9dWUmKUdDcHTVicEdq9u7fKm8wTJN5CEt4P