1 2 3 4 5
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 9:28 a.m.
oldtin wrote: On the dreadful side:

Damn, I thought I knew all about British kit cars from the 80's, but I don't recognize that. It may not win a beuty contest, but I'd rock it as a track toy if the underpinnings are any good. What is it?

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
6/14/13 9:39 a.m.

What was that thing called on Sesame Street, a "snuffaluffagus?"

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/14/13 9:41 a.m.
kb58 wrote:
What was that thing called on Sesame Street, a "snuffaluffagus?"

with faux fur, I see a lemons theme

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
6/14/13 10:43 a.m.

I'm biased becaeu it was mine and I built it, but this:

Corvette chassis, with suspension mods and a built 350 made it quicker to over 100 mph than an original one and actually handled great, too (I autocrossed it a couple times). It was 400 lbs lighter than the Corvette it was based on. Turned heads like crazy when I built it (back in '85. I owned it until '88, and it was the advertising for my custom car/fabrication shop)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
6/14/13 4:59 p.m.

My favorite is the original Ultima Mark I.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
6/14/13 5:32 p.m.

THAT is a georgeous machine. What's this thing called??

Chris_V wrote: I'm biased becaeu it was mine and I built it, but this: Corvette chassis, with suspension mods and a built 350 made it quicker to over 100 mph than an original one and actually handled great, too (I autocrossed it a couple times). It was 400 lbs lighter than the Corvette it was based on. Turned heads like crazy when I built it (back in '85. I owned it until '88, and it was the advertising for my custom car/fabrication shop)
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/14/13 5:50 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: the factory five '33 is wonderful

Unfortunately the poster-child for the FFR 33, the Ridetech car, is over $305,000.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1307_no_bull_ride_tech_1933_factory_five_hot_rod/viewall.html

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/14/13 6:00 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
JoeyM wrote: the factory five '33 is wonderful
Unfortunately the poster-child for the FFR 33, the Ridetech car, is over $305,000. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1307_no_bull_ride_tech_1933_factory_five_hot_rod/viewall.html

Even if you could build the FF car for $45K, I would not be able to afford it. My non-kit replica is over $20XX budget, but probably not by much. (I would guess I'm around ~$2500, but stopped keeping receipts, so I can't say for sure.....I haven't had to buy anything in a long time, though.) I have a few expensive things planned (having the interior and belly coated with bedliner, having a convertible top made) but expect to still end up relatively cheap.

My '32 will never look or handle as nice as the FF '33, but I'll be able to afford it. I'd rather drive than sit and watch someone else do it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
6/14/13 6:30 p.m.

About the time this thread came up, one of my co-workers decided he wanted to jump from one end of the spectrum on kit cars to the other - not exactly from worst to best, but certainly from bad to good.

He has an Invader GT that he bought for a parts donor for a sand rail. Looks sort of like this but in much worse shape.

In addition to looking like a duck-billed platypus on wheels, the body appears to contain more plywood than fiberglass. Mechanicals are pretty much stock VW. A typical example of a questionable Beetle kit car.

Now, he's selling the shell and several other projects to buy an Exocet.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/14/13 6:38 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Actually, even though its another Cobra and the ride height is a little off, the Cal-Ace wasn't too bad all things considered: ppzmoq_1140987177_calace_03

I see an MGB in drag

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
6/14/13 7:26 p.m.

Without the roof that thing is not too terrible in an old race car sort of way...

Just what is it?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
6/14/13 7:41 p.m.

A local guy owns this outfit: http://kremyrchassisworks.com/

His chassis fab work is incredible.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
6/14/13 7:42 p.m.

Raffo Tipo 12

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/14/13 8:22 p.m.
noddaz wrote:
Without the roof that thing is not too terrible in an old race car sort of way... Just what is it?

with better lights.. it probably would not look too bad. The hardtop would definatly either have to go or get rounded off into a proper 935esque top

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
6/14/13 8:23 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
mattmacklind wrote: Actually, even though its another Cobra and the ride height is a little off, the Cal-Ace wasn't too bad all things considered: ppzmoq_1140987177_calace_03
I see an MGB in drag

That would be the all things considered part...

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
6/15/13 7:53 a.m.

I'm not sure what it is either, but I've been looking for it- it's slowly growing on me. Kind of reminds me of a spec racer Ford without curves.

Here's another one for the yuck-o-meter...

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/images/6131-07.JPG

mad_machine wrote:
noddaz wrote:
Without the roof that thing is not too terrible in an old race car sort of way... Just what is it?
with better lights.. it probably would not look too bad. The hardtop would definatly either have to go or get rounded off into a proper 935esque top
car39
car39 HalfDork
6/15/13 8:22 a.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Best ever: custom-brubaker-box-kit-car-5 Close second: Boonie Bug Honorable mention for the Trike in Mad Max. Actually, even though its another Cobra and the ride height is a little off, the Cal-Ace wasn't too bad all things considered: ppzmoq_1140987177_calace_03

A friend of mine has a Brubaker, and owns the molds to make the body. Big VW guy, obviously

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
6/15/13 9:44 a.m.

We should make a clear distinction between kits that are/are not:
1) Ugly
2) Good Performers
3) Hard to build
4) Painful to own/operate when done

Does a full Miata FM kit that you DIY qualify?

If so, gotta be really high up there (on the GOOD side)

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
6/15/13 1:21 p.m.

Couple of fast comments:

1) VW-based kits weren't bad if you used the late chassis with the IRS and ball joint front end.

2) Please - somebody post a photo of a Kelmark GT - can't believe no one has done this yet.

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
6/15/13 1:41 p.m.

Ok...Done

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
6/15/13 1:50 p.m.

I would drive that.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/15/13 1:55 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I would drive that . . .

in the clown parade!

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
6/15/13 2:03 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I would drive that.

You can't, they left it on the moon.

stroker
stroker Dork
6/15/13 6:02 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I would drive that.

Is there enough headroom for your fez?

stroker
stroker Dork
6/15/13 6:05 p.m.

It's my understanding Noble made a V8 powered copy of the Ferrari P4 that was very nice, but they only made a couple before they went under.

For a street card, the GT40 clones are driveable for big guys because the driver's compartment goes all the way to the side of the car, but most of the "glasshouse" cars (e.g. the Ultima and 917/T70) are far too small for shoulder/leg/head room.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qXhgU37cvOoDWN6K1AACldbw5B4ZUQ4kM8AV0scRB1DiP3RLQsogL6kaXOhBUMJc