2 3 4 5 6
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
6/15/13 10:38 p.m.

One of the worst. I should know I owned one.

Middle of the road for me, IE I will own one at some point.

Would do unspeakable things to own.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
6/16/13 7:03 a.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: Couple of fast comments: 1) VW-based kits weren't bad if you used the late chassis with the IRS and ball joint front end.

With the trailing arm front end and swing axles, though, they look like the handling would be pretty scary. I was just helping my co-worker pull the engine out of the Invader mentioned earlier, and thought, "That looks like it would be pretty entertaining with a Subaru motor in there." But you'd either have to use the Colin Chapman "any suspension will work if you don't let it" approach, or put some rally tires on it and take it off road.

Hmmmm.... what rallycross class would an Invader GT with a Subaru motor end up in, anyway?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
6/16/13 11:55 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
mattmacklind wrote: Actually, even though its another Cobra and the ride height is a little off, the Cal-Ace wasn't too bad all things considered: ppzmoq_1140987177_calace_03
I see an MGB in drag

It looks like, and even its name suggests it is a replica of the AC Ace. Not a cobra.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
6/16/13 12:27 p.m.

Here is a whole list of kit names- I haven't had a chance to look them all up, but some of them are crazy!

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/content/history/lrg/003s.jpg

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
6/16/13 4:14 p.m.
stroker wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: I would drive that.
Is there enough headroom for your fez?

Fez my butt. I be wearin' this bad boy drivin' that thing

stroker
stroker Dork
6/16/13 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

You be stylin', bro! Don't forget your platforms with the goldfish!

paranoid_android74
6/16/13 4:55 p.m.

At the expense of dating myself, didn't the Banana Splits have a ride like that?

Zomby Woof wrote:
stroker wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: I would drive that.
Is there enough headroom for your fez?
Fez my butt. I be wearin' this bad boy drivin' that thing
stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/16/13 5:14 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Boonie Bug

This one was originally featured in the March 1974 issue of Popular Mechanics: http://books.google.com/books?id=ddQDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false I remember reading the article.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/16/13 6:40 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
This one was originally featured in the March 1974 issue of Popular Mechanics: http://books.google.com/books?id=ddQDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false I remember reading the article.

I'm going to have to go back and read that entire magazine!

paranoid_android74
6/16/13 6:48 p.m.
Woody wrote:
stuart in mn wrote:
I'm going to have to go back and read that entire magazine!

I did- it's worth it!

Can you spot the Camel smoker?

Times weren't all that different then- big three making smaller vehicles, alternative fuel sources (cow poo!) and fuel economy.

There was even a brief write up on an AMC Gremlin race car. Good stuff!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/16/13 6:49 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Jim Pettengill wrote: Couple of fast comments: 1) VW-based kits weren't bad if you used the late chassis with the IRS and ball joint front end.
With the trailing arm front end and swing axles, though, they look like the handling would be pretty scary. I was just helping my co-worker pull the engine out of the Invader mentioned earlier, and thought, "That looks like it would be pretty entertaining with a Subaru motor in there." But you'd either have to use the Colin Chapman "any suspension will work if you don't let it" approach, or put some rally tires on it and take it off road. Hmmmm.... what rallycross class would an Invader GT with a Subaru motor end up in, anyway?

that suspension worked for Porsche

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/16/13 7:20 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'm going to have to go back and read that entire magazine!

You'll notice in that link Google has every issue of Popular Mechanics back to 1900 online - for additional reading pleasure they also have every issue of Popular Science going back to 1872. http://books.google.com/books?id=iigDAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0#all_issues_anchor

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/16/13 7:49 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Woody wrote: I'm going to have to go back and read that entire magazine!
You'll notice in that link Google has every issue of Popular Mechanics back to 1900 online - for additional reading pleasure they also have every issue of Popular Science going back to 1872. http://books.google.com/books?id=iigDAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0#all_issues_anchor

You mean that I can find the issue with the plans for building a Fender Telecaster?!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
6/16/13 8:06 p.m.

From this book I learned of one of the better kit cars made (off Pinto mechanicals no less):

The Blakely Bearcat:

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
6/16/13 8:19 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

The movie version looks cooler.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/16/13 8:21 p.m.
Woody wrote: You mean that I can find the issue with the plans for building a Fender Telecaster?!

Popular Mechanics, September 1990, page 43. http://books.google.com/books?id=0uQDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

plance1
plance1 Dork
6/16/13 8:34 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: For worst kit, it would be anything with a VW chassis & suspension. They gave kit cars such a bad reputation that even today people sneer at a kit car. I think a kit car could and should be better than a factory offering, but the VW based ones were so bad that the whole genre still has a black eye.

not sure I agree with you, didn't Thomas Crown's dune buggy originate from a beetle floor plan??????

paranoid_android74
6/17/13 3:52 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Woody wrote: You mean that I can find the issue with the plans for building a Fender Telecaster?!
Popular Mechanics, September 1990, page 43. http://books.google.com/books?id=0uQDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Cool article!

I love these old magazines. "Dick Steel, a carpenter, has never taken a sick day. Neither has his Skil Saw."

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
6/17/13 5:39 a.m.

Marauder was a local kit car company back in the 70's-80's. I clearly remember driving past with my parents, but them never stopping to take a look.

After some of the drama that happened when the company closed, it probably was a good thing.

photo Marauder-Carsad_zps2db3c8c8.jpg

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
6/17/13 8:04 a.m.
oldtin wrote:

It looks like a bad F40 and an Enzo combination. Its like Kate Upton and Brad Pitt had a baby and it came out looking like one of Danny DeVitos chins.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
6/17/13 8:07 a.m.

On the good side (I know we've talked about this before because I've been obsessed with it ever since) Jon Olssons Rebellion RK1.

It's so magical.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
6/17/13 8:25 a.m.

1965 fiberfab avenger vw bug karmen ghia - $1600 (Atlanta)

Check out the size of the hydraulic ram.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/17/13 8:58 a.m.

Fiberfab Aztec 7.

Hard to believe it came from the same people who made the Jamaican.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/17/13 9:08 a.m.

Speaking of fiberfab:

Redline
Redline New Reader
6/17/13 9:53 a.m.

I lusted after this from those same adds in the old magazines...still do!

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cWfUyA6pC8HEdYxo8tLiDlmjRtIPxhJp3hEQb8Pl9s35YpONC2cxY2u4VUktsrQv