1 2
cwh
cwh Dork
3/7/09 3:05 p.m.

Seems that Mr. Nascar does not like us in SoFla.

"Why would you have the last race of the year in some God-forsaken area that is north of Cuba? Bruton Smith said. Why would you do that? I don't understand that. Why don't you pick a place that can accommodate the final race of the year with seats and parking and somewhere that appreciates it?"

Homestead-Miami Speedway has held the season's final race since 2002. The track has sold out the race five of the last six years. Track officials did not make president Curtis Gray available but responded with a statement from Gray.

"Hey, it's not a fluke that all of North America's premier racing series [NASCAR, IndyCar and Grand-Am] have chosen Homestead-Miami Speedway and South Florida to host their 2009 championship finales," the statement read. "And because we're a diverse, fun-loving and even forgiving motorsports bunch down here in Miami, Bruton's still welcome to join the party this fall."

Not much of a class act. Well, maybe low class. I have a LOT of Cuban friends, as well as other Latinos, and they are as car crazy as any redneck in Nascar Town. Add in the REALLY crazy ones from Dominican Republic and Mexico that ship their cars here for races. berkeley off, Bruton!

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
3/7/09 3:36 p.m.

NASCAR jerk? Isn't that an oxymoron?

cwh
cwh Dork
3/7/09 3:38 p.m.

And how many of his other tracks could be described as "North Mexico"?

EvanB
EvanB Reader
3/7/09 4:16 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: NASCAR jerk? Isn't that an oxymoron?

No, just redundant.

ncjay
ncjay New Reader
3/7/09 6:11 p.m.

On the bright side, it won't be too much longer and Smith will no longer be with us. What do you expect from a guy that would kick Humpy Wheeler out of Charlotte Motor Speedway? At the time of year the Nascar Cup season ends, I'd think it was pretty important to have nice weather. Only south Fla and SoCal can give the best odds for that.

Opus
Opus HalfDork
3/7/09 8:00 p.m.

and I was expecting a picture of Kyle Busch

dejalma
dejalma
3/8/09 1:36 p.m.
ncjay wrote: On the bright side, it won't be too much longer and Smith will no longer be with us. What do you expect from a guy that would kick Humpy Wheeler out of Charlotte Motor Speedway? At the time of year the Nascar Cup season ends, I'd think it was pretty important to have nice weather. Only south Fla and SoCal can give the best odds for that.

Let me get this straight. You'll be happy when he dies? Mighty nice of you.

RichardM
RichardM New Reader
3/8/09 5:05 p.m.

I think the final race should be in New Hampshire. Make every one use studded snow tires.

jcanracer
jcanracer New Reader
3/8/09 5:25 p.m.

I'd be happy if nASScar stopped using Homestead, then maybe there might be more track time for NASA and my HPDE days! As it is we only get like 3 weekends out of the year.

cwh
cwh Dork
3/8/09 6:26 p.m.

jcanracer?? So I can assume you are a Jamaican. another group not appreciated by Mr. Bruton? Ya, mon, berkeley him.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/8/09 7:10 p.m.
jcanracer wrote: I'd be happy if nASScar stopped using Homestead, then maybe there might be more track time for NASA and my HPDE days! As it is we only get like 3 weekends out of the year.

They are there one weekend a year so i guess you'd be able to get a fourth weekend in November, but without the fans coming in and spending money that weekend how long do you think they will keep maintaining the place for your club days. I understand that Nascar is the root of all things evil here but without someone to pay the bills alot of tracks either wouldn't be or wouldn't be as nice as they are.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg New Reader
3/8/09 7:55 p.m.

nascar would do very good to use the road course at Daytona on their second visit there. that way we get another road course on the schedule, but nascar doesn't have to move from one track to another, they just have to put some cones and K-rails on the tri-oval

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
3/9/09 9:11 a.m.

I say make 'em drive their cars to the next venue a few times each year. Gotta take out some of that wedge or the highway on-ramps would get mighty tricky, being right-handers and all.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/9/09 3:40 p.m.
RichardM wrote: I think the final race should be in New Hampshire. Make every one use studded snow tires.

Then what will keep them from instaling lights and having rain tires to run thrue bad weather.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
3/9/09 5:35 p.m.

NASCAR teams are skeered. They don't race in the wet.

F1 teams run cars with the same horsepower, at half the weight, whether it's raining or not.

Guess which series I follow.....

bamalama
bamalama Reader
3/9/09 6:13 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: NASCAR teams are skeered. They don't race in the wet. F1 teams run cars with the same horsepower, at half the weight, whether it's raining or not. Guess which series I follow.....

The Nationwide series ran in the rain on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve last year. I imagine it's kind of hard to keep a 3400 lb car with E36 M3 for downforce on a banked oval track at 200 mph in the rain.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/9/09 7:26 p.m.

What would it take for a street(able) car to out run a road course nextel car?

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
3/9/09 8:45 p.m.

It's actually not that hard. The rules limit Nextel cars to a certain power level, they all run the same size tires, suspension setups are pretty crude (live axle), and downforce is heavily limited by regulations.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
3/9/09 8:49 p.m.

Fast in a straight line but slow in the twisties, an Exige would wallop one on a tight track like Mid Ohio IMHO

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/9/09 8:49 p.m.
bamalama wrote:
NYG95GA wrote: NASCAR teams are skeered. They don't race in the wet. F1 teams run cars with the same horsepower, at half the weight, whether it's raining or not. Guess which series I follow.....
The Nationwide series ran in the rain on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve last year. I imagine it's kind of hard to keep a 3400 lb car with E36 M3 for downforce on a banked oval track at 200 mph in the rain.

The bigest problem with the rain is that in a car that heavy with a smallish tire the tread gets crushed, essentially turning the tire into a slick. Being half the weight the f1 cars can run in the rain. Then again Nascar teams can make a 3400 lb car run on a banked turn which can't always be said for 3/4 of the F1 teams

Will
Will Reader
3/9/09 9:05 p.m.

Last year at the Mitty Eric Lux turned a 1:25.5 at Road Atlanta in Race 1 of the HIstoric Stock Car Series in a 97 Monte Carlo (a retired Winston Cup Car). When the SCCA Speed World Challenge guys went there last year during Petit Le Mans the pole time in an Aston Martin DBR9 was 1:26.088.

And I think it's safe to assume a good current Nextel Cup team could easily outrun any of the vintage cup cars at the Mitty.

Don't go thinking NASCAR is slow just because it's "low tech." Those guys are very smart at getting the most out of what they have.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/9/09 9:15 p.m.

At Watkins Glen, the cup record is 1:10.798 and the record for prototype cars is 1:02.890 8 seconds isn't bad considering the difference in cars.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/9/09 9:47 p.m.

Daytona Prototypes can't be that far away from a NASCAR stocker as far as weight is concerned, yet they still run the bankings at Daytona in the rain, they get up to about 150-170 on the banks (I think), so I still don't see the problem.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
3/9/09 10:35 p.m.

How wide are the tires on a DP? The Cup cars only have like an 11.5" tire.

After the debacle they had in Canada, I doubt they'll try to run in the rain any more.

I've got this from my collection of Boris Said pictures:

Photobucket

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
3/9/09 10:57 p.m.

I don't know... but I don't really take any offense to that at all, not that I live there or anything...

It was probably just to emphasize a point, not really his feelings...

That said I've worked at Daytona International Speedway and can I'll just say that some of the people at the top's personalities leave some things to be desired...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
byIGkuydHikKAe6X2gaUMyDCa9CDZ196E4Nv7c84EiDxfVRZ8BfWvcKwDETJ14rP