1 2
Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/10/09 6:32 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: Daytona Prototypes can't be that far away from a NASCAR stocker as far as weight is concerned, yet they still run the bankings at Daytona in the rain, they get up to about 150-170 on the banks (I think), so I still don't see the problem.

2275lbs, with an 18x12.5 front and 18x13.5 rear wheel.

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
3/10/09 9:44 a.m.

And don't the Prototype cars make much more downforce than your typical stockcar?

Nascar is apples, sportscar racing is oranges.
I prefer oranges, but sometimes a little apple pie is good too.

getfast
getfast New Reader
3/10/09 11:14 a.m.
cwh wrote: Seems that Mr. Nascar does not like us in SoFla. "Why would you have the last race of the year in some God-forsaken area that is north of Cuba?" Bruton Smith said.

Hahahaha, how incredibly narrow-minded. That's one of the most beautiful parts of this country IMHO (not to mention chock full of wonderful culture, with plenty of non-racing activities nearby... South Beach? Everglades? Key West?)

I have only been there once, but I thought Homestead was a lovely facility with some fantastic employees. It would be an awesome destination for any race fan, as part of a larger vacation journey.

Jon

getfast
getfast New Reader
3/10/09 11:25 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Fast in a straight line but slow in the twisties, an Exige would wallop one on a tight track like Mid Ohio IMHO

It would definitely depend on the track. I accidentally witnessed some NASCAR testing @ VIR (north course - one long straightaway), and the lap times were in the "well driven C6 Z06" range, IIRC.

Jon

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
3/10/09 11:41 a.m.
getfast wrote: It would definitely depend on the track. I accidentally witnessed some NASCAR testing @ VIR (north course - one long straightaway), and the lap times were in the "well driven C6 Z06" range, IIRC.

That's interesting to hear. I would think a NASCAR Sprint Cup car (~3400 lbs and ~850 hp) would fairly easily outrun a C6 Z06 (~3132 lbs and ~505 hp) on a course such as VIR.

getfast
getfast New Reader
3/10/09 11:51 a.m.

That's far from a scientific statement on my part, just a generalization. Plus who's to say the NASCAR being tested was being driven flat out while I may have been hypothetically looking at my wristwatch. Also, it was north course...

Generally speaking, as much fun as it is to poo-poo the NASCARs, I'd say they are fast as stink anywhere and everywhere, compared to a whoooooole lot of machinery.

Jon

jcanracer
jcanracer New Reader
3/10/09 12:06 p.m.
Wally wrote:
jcanracer wrote: I'd be happy if nASScar stopped using Homestead, then maybe there might be more track time for NASA and my HPDE days! As it is we only get like 3 weekends out of the year.
They are there one weekend a year so i guess you'd be able to get a fourth weekend in November, but without the fans coming in and spending money that weekend how long do you think they will keep maintaining the place for your club days. I understand that Nascar is the root of all things evil here but without someone to pay the bills alot of tracks either wouldn't be or wouldn't be as nice as they are.

point taken.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
3/10/09 12:59 p.m.
getfast wrote: Generally speaking, as much fun as it is to poo-poo the NASCARs, I'd say they are fast as stink anywhere and everywhere, compared to a whoooooole lot of machinery.

I have to agree with Jon on this one. Anytime I've seen a retired stocker out working the track they were always in the top for fast machinery. That observation alone garnered new respect from me for the sport and it's machinery.

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
3/10/09 1:17 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
getfast wrote: Generally speaking, as much fun as it is to poo-poo the NASCARs, I'd say they are fast as stink anywhere and everywhere, compared to a whoooooole lot of machinery.
I have to agree with Jon on this one. Anytime I've seen a retired stocker out working the track they were always in the top for fast machinery. That observation alone garnered new respect from me for the sport and it's machinery.

The NASCAR road course races are a lot of fun to watch. I've never compared times to non-NASCAR type race cars, but they certainly appear to be super quick.

And based on the comments in recent articles I've read by journalists who've taken a COT out on a track, I have new found respect for the drivers that can hustle them around a road course. They sound like they're a bear to drive.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
3/10/09 8:47 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: NASCAR teams are skeered. They don't race in the wet. F1 teams run cars with the same horsepower, at half the weight, whether it's raining or not. Guess which series I follow.....

The one where the results aren't blatantly manipulated by the sanctioning body? Oh wait...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K5lQdDaQKDzWaUI0IZPJTkqP8lZAO9vTAUOavozYhWnCEEKxAcGvIvK51l194ssW