Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
10/9/09 2:26 p.m.

Hey All,

The "check engine" light in my neighbor's '85 BMW 325e 5-sp is blinking. I checked the search function on the board but I could not find a procedure for retrieving trouble codes. Anybody got the procedure and a code list?

Thanks in advance, Jerry

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/9/09 2:31 p.m.
pelican parts said: To read codes for an OBD I car, you start by turning the ignition key on (do not start the engine) and pressing the gas pedal to the floor five times within a period of five seconds. If you proceeded correctly, then the check engine lamp will light on for five seconds, then blink off, then blink on for 2.5 seconds, and then go off for another 2.5 seconds. After this, the computer will start to show you the trouble fault codes that are stored.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/Mult-Code_Reading/Mult-Code_Reading.htm

cant get it to work on mine, but i think my CEL bulb is burned out or something.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
10/9/09 3:20 p.m.

Thanks for the direction. Unfortunately, the CEL just continues to blink at me despite all the various pedal pushing scenarios I tried.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
10/10/09 3:13 p.m.

I may be asking the dumb question, but is it the CEL, or the "check" light. The check light will stop flashing when you hit the "check" button up by the rear view. I've seen this stump people who aren't familiar with the e30's.... Nathan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b6U44GFtIa6kXAz55gqvEeGhbw63KJOiDkFBbu4xARQx6C9xzEbnhSBrGbajClPp