pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/13/19 11:38 a.m.

Yep, that's the new X3 M "Competition" edition, named in honor of all of the competitions that is has and will be entered in, such as....uh....is there an F1 SUV class?  

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
2/13/19 11:46 a.m.

There should be! That would be entertaining. 

I imagine it would be like super trucks but with heated leather seats and steering wheels.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/13/19 11:49 a.m.

The competition edition should have 24K gold trim or something, since the only thing X3 drivers are competing in is outspending their neighbors cheeky

Edit: That might also make the car uglier, and an X3 would do well in an ugliness competition...

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/13/19 12:38 p.m.

I thought sticking M badges and other useless cosmetic crap on BMWs was reserved for the same third or fourth owner who can't afford anything but Walmart Chinese-special tires and thinks that scheduled maintenance is a dealer scam.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/13/19 12:50 p.m.

If you think that's funny, you should see their definition of the word "coupe".

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/13/19 1:18 p.m.
02Pilot said:

I thought sticking M badges and other useless cosmetic crap on BMWs was reserved for the same third or fourth owner who can't afford anything but Walmart Chinese-special tires and thinks that scheduled maintenance is a dealer scam.

And once BMW starts doing this, it will then be impossible to tell which cars have any business sporting M badges, emboldening more 4th-hand cheapskate owners to stick M badges on, bringing about the Fake M-Badge Singularity.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/13/19 1:31 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
02Pilot said:

And once BMW starts doing this, it will then be impossible to tell which cars have any business sporting M badges, emboldening more 4th-hand cheapskate owners to stick M badges on, bringing about the Fake M-Badge Singularity.

BMW has been sticking M badges on non-M cars for YEARS already. 

My '13 135i is an "M Package" car (technically all 135i are). M on the wheel, guage cluster, door sills, etc. But none of the outside.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/13/19 1:41 p.m.

Its because they are courting the Chinese and other cultures that think that lots of letters and numbers denote a better model of car.

Also the M badge is considered the top of the line, much like AMG for Mercedes.  They don't want or need the performance, but because its the "best" aka most expensive version, they have to have it.

It isn't logical or make any sense, but it is one reason.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
2/13/19 2:07 p.m.
z31maniac said:

My '13 135i is an "M Package" car (technically all 135i are). M on the wheel, guage cluster, door sills, etc. But none of the outside.

My E38 740i has M badges on the wheels and steering wheel as well (and both are different from what cars without the M Sports package received).  No other M badges on the car though.  The suspension is also officially listed as M Sports Suspension.  Basically it's saying that "these parts have been played with or designed by the M division" but the lack of M badge on the car itself means the M division didn't go over the whole car and give the overall package their stamp of approval.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/13/19 2:10 p.m.
Javelin said:

If you think that's funny, you should see their definition of the word "coupe".

Yeah, and why can you get a 4-door 4-series when the 3-series is supposed to be the 4 door?  Do they really think that a subtle difference in roofline is more important than door count when it comes to determining model nomenclature?

See also:  Audi.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/13/19 3:13 p.m.

Competition? I'd like to see BMW try building one for King of Hammers. Not necessarily because I'd expect it to win; it might be amusing to watch a stock one lose spectacularly.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/13/19 3:16 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Yep, that's the new X3 M "Competition" edition, named in honor of all of the competitions that is has and will be entered in, such as....uh....is there an F1 SUV class?  

One Lap has an SUV class.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
2/13/19 4:02 p.m.

Sent it to my wife, she loves it.  Sure, its not a corner carver, but it would be a riot to drive around town and if the Mrs. loves it more than her current Kia Optima, works for me.  

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/13/19 6:17 p.m.
z31maniac said:
GameboyRMH said:
02Pilot said:

Yeah, so is my 128i. M on the same spots as yours, but not on the exterior. It's one thing to look around the interior and feel like a poseur; it's entirely another to willfully advertise one's lameness to the world.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/13/19 6:45 p.m.

I knew a guy with a 6 series that had the M appearance package.  Apparently one of the things it added where door pocket lights! I told him an M package should remove as much as possible, not add things!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SbvvPpAGkjA8tgfzsZQK1TwcvHCsAWFCRIOrTjLCN56aVBMdQ3J9PmPDD3yWkzAf