1 2 3
e_pie
e_pie Reader
1/18/12 3:29 p.m.

I think there was a company that was working on a kit to swap in the EJs from Subarus using a Subaru transmission. I can't remember the name though.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/18/12 3:52 p.m.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2047734

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
1/18/12 4:04 p.m.

I like how someone commented years ago that Boxster engine failures were a thing of the past. Maybe that was before the IMS problem became prevalent but after the original failures. I love me some Porsche, but I think I'll stick to the '80s cars.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/18/12 4:14 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I'm surprised Renegade doesn't have anything available for this car.

You may want to stay tuned on this one.........

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/18/12 4:22 p.m.
fatallightning wrote:
jrw1621 wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Oh my GOD a LSx Boxster would be...ruthless...
Here is the reverse of your proposition. A VW (Porsche) based kit car, made to look like a Vette http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/729670232.html
why that looks like a potential jalopnik project car from hell.

They don't do those anymore. IIRC that left with Murilee.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
1/18/12 9:59 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
fatallightning wrote:
jrw1621 wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Oh my GOD a LSx Boxster would be...ruthless...
Here is the reverse of your proposition. A VW (Porsche) based kit car, made to look like a Vette http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/729670232.html
why that looks like a potential jalopnik project car from hell.
They don't do those anymore. IIRC that left with Murilee.

At the time he posted it they did.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/19/12 7:57 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: At the time he posted it they did.

LOL. Zombie thread tolled again... Waa waa wwaaaaaaa.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/19/12 8:01 a.m.

There was a canoe back there...

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
1/21/12 11:02 p.m.

Awesome fabricator in Phoenix has swapped an STi motor into a Boxster to build a truly evil track weapon. Read 'em and weep...

http://www.precisionchassisworks.com/boxstersubaru-engine-conversion.html

David

precisionchassis
precisionchassis New Reader
1/22/12 5:32 p.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: Awesome fabricator in Phoenix has swapped an STi motor into a Boxster to build a truly evil track weapon. Read 'em and weep... http://www.precisionchassisworks.com/boxstersubaru-engine-conversion.html David

Yeah, it's finally done. Our first shakedown/test-and-tune is scheduled for the weekend of Feb. 3rd. out at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. On paper, this car should be quick... Cup Car quick...

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/22/12 5:54 p.m.
precisionchassis wrote:
DWNSHFT wrote: Awesome fabricator in Phoenix has swapped an STi motor into a Boxster to build a truly evil track weapon. Read 'em and weep... http://www.precisionchassisworks.com/boxstersubaru-engine-conversion.html David
Yeah, it's finally done. Our first shakedown/test-and-tune is scheduled for the weekend of Feb. 3rd. out at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. On paper, this car should be quick... Cup Car quick...
Woody wrote: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2047734

So, that was you?

precisionchassis
1/22/12 5:58 p.m.
Woody wrote:
precisionchassis wrote:
Woody wrote: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2047734
So, that was you?

Yes sir.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
1/22/12 6:15 p.m.

Any plans to sell some of the parts for the above swap?

precisionchassis
1/22/12 6:21 p.m.
njansenv wrote: Any plans to sell some of the parts for the above swap?

YES! The above swap only exists for that purpose... and the fact that I needed a good excuse to justify building myself another race car

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/22/12 6:32 p.m.

How did you handle the starter?

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
1/22/12 8:17 p.m.
precisionchassis wrote:
njansenv wrote: Any plans to sell some of the parts for the above swap?
YES! The above swap only exists for that purpose... and the fact that I needed a good excuse to justify building myself another race car

I'll be watching your website.... ;)

dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
1/22/12 8:47 p.m.

Is the scoop running up over the roof a necessity? Could scoops be added to the side behind the doors?

precisionchassis
1/22/12 10:39 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Is the scoop running up over the roof a necessity? Could scoops be added to the side behind the doors?

The scoop is only for fresh air for the intercooler. I'm sure there are about 20 different configurations that people could come up to accomplish a similar goal, but for the purpose of this car (strictly racing), this is the the best route in my opinion. There just aren't very many options for getting a large volume or clean, cool air behind the driver's compartment, and an air-to-water intercooler system was not an option for the application. The small ducts behind the doors are not large enough for intercooler cooling, and even if they were, there simply isn't enough room in the engine compartment for all the plumbing. Instead, we decided to use those areas for an engine oil cooler, and transaxle cooler (one on either side).

Now for a street/track car, an air-to-water intercooler system is definitely the right answer. That way, the conversion could be done without any change to the exterior appearance of the car, and because a street car wouldn't see constant load like a race car would, the system could cool itself well enough without becoming heat soaked.

precisionchassis
1/22/12 10:42 p.m.
Woody wrote: How did you handle the starter?

Custom adapter plate, custom aluminum flywheel, and a Subaru starter. The flywheel uses a stock Porsche style clutch, and we are also working on a race version of the flywheel that will use a Tilton (or similar) multi disc clutch.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/22/12 11:00 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
dyintorace wrote: I'm surprised Renegade doesn't have anything available for this car.

.......then avoid it like the plague.......unless you want to ignore their track record.........

dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
1/23/12 6:37 a.m.

@ Dr Boost: From what I have read the "old" Renegade may have had a couple of design issues. From what I have seen the "new" Renegade seems to have things in order.

@ precision chassis: That make perfect sense.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/23/12 7:05 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote:
.......then avoid it like the plague.......unless you want to ignore their track record.........

This act is getting a bit "old hat". Even if it were true, you are starting to sound like the lunatic on the street telling everyone that the world is ending. Do you have any personal experience based on anything other than hearsay? If you are going to knock someone, especially an advertiser of this tremendous magazine, come with facts.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/23/12 7:10 a.m.
precisionchassis wrote:
Woody wrote: How did you handle the starter?
Custom adapter plate, custom aluminum flywheel, and a Subaru starter. The flywheel uses a stock Porsche style clutch, and we are also working on a race version of the flywheel that will use a Tilton (or similar) multi disc clutch.

I saw a thread or two on this project on other forums. It seems like a really cool solution, and I might like to try one out here in the next few years.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/23/12 7:35 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
DrBoost wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote:
This act is getting a bit "old hat". Even if it were true, you are starting to sound like the lunatic on the street telling everyone that the world is ending. Do you have any personal experience based on anything other than hearsay? If you are going to knock someone, especially an advertiser of this tremendous magazine, come with facts.

Untill they make an attempt to own up to what they did to the community, I don't plan on letting up. Heck, even if they fess up I'd let up. This may not be the best example, but what if they guys at megasquirt went around, buying up forums to shut down the brain-trust that existed and indeed built the business they were enjoying?
How many of us here sing the praises of GRM, the magazine, employees, forum members etc.? Most of us, here have at one time or a dozen. I know I have. How many of those folks singing the praises of GRM have actually experienced that great GRM-ness? I bet it's a small percentage (I have). That momentum, good or bad carries a company. There is a thread going on over at a non-RH owned board. The jury is still out. A few people called and actually got a little bit of help from Scott but for most, the bridge has been burned.
What I'm saying to all is to research before you plunk down coin. There are companies out there that have lived up to customers expectations from the start.
That's all I'll say though except.......

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/23/12 8:08 a.m.

....an LSX Boxster would be amazing!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eZZ4rmcER7B5RRatC5GcjpAOYdJXUJcJErkhpSjO3My5HjdQ93yVQjNgQtEUPYEt