1 2
grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
1/13/13 4:59 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
stroker wrote: All that aero stuff is simply a technological black hole. Fans, skirts, undertrays, the lot of it. I'd just as soon go back to pre-1975.
"GET A HORSE!"

But for the love of God, please DO NOT put a fan in his ass!!!

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/13/13 5:16 p.m.
grafmiata wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
stroker wrote: All that aero stuff is simply a technological black hole. Fans, skirts, undertrays, the lot of it. I'd just as soon go back to pre-1975.
"GET A HORSE!"
But for the love of God, please DO NOT put a fan in his ass!!!

Now THAT would be a technological black hole!

Presuming of course that you put the fan in a black horse.

Or should it be back hole?

stroker
stroker Dork
1/13/13 8:50 p.m.

In reply to carguy123:

It would still be a case of E36M3 hitting the fan.

jere
jere Reader
1/13/13 9:11 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: ... First the skirts we're banned and the static ride height raised, but every one just built cars that lowered themselves on the track, but we're even stiffer, more accidents so eventually F.I.A. got it right for a change and introduced the flat bottom rules. I'll start my other post soon.

Is this when the taped/staircase bellied cars come into play? I have seen design photos of them but never knew what era they were used.

jde
jde Reader
1/13/13 10:31 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: IIRC the super stiff suspension necessitated by massive aero downforce can be avoided by having the downforce act outside of the suspended portion of the car (on the hubs I think). Unfortunately it was outlawed.

I believe you're thinking of the "twin-chassis" Lotus 88, which I haven't read enough to be able to wrap my head around how it worked.

The super stiff suspensions also led to active suspension as a means of maintaining consistent ground clearance for aero.

m_walker26
m_walker26 New Reader
1/14/13 1:46 a.m.

One of my favorite lines of all time was in a F1 report....

Driver crashed when his skirt stuck up.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
1/14/13 9:22 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

I love the colossal rear tires on that era of F1 cars.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A4yGUzWduakXa2TOLfmj4rqaIHf85tHHrlYgFmTNPR4uK94BJjx8heKyqGlYeWUL