Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
3/26/12 10:42 a.m.

We dug this gem out of our June 2004 issue to help you guys and gals as you finish your projects. Careful initial sorting is important if you don't want to throw away all those months spent behind the wrench.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/breaking/

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/26/12 10:45 a.m.

Thanks. This could be useful.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
3/26/12 11:58 a.m.

It always amazes me how people will throw away a weekend of racing and thousands of dollars due to poor prep work. Had a team at the last rally, car is worth $40k, fireed it up on race day, was stuck in launch control mode. Wasted because they couldn't be bothered to check/test the car the friday before.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
3/26/12 12:15 p.m.

We've been using AutoX to sort and refine our modifications, tune, suspension, brakes, diff, gear ratios, boost for the XR4, after all, loosing a couple hours and $40 to learn our open diff = spinning top of death when the drive tire unloads/loads under 30psi of boost in a paved parking lot = priceless...

pigeon
pigeon SuperDork
3/26/12 12:45 p.m.

Very timely as I'm completing a suspension swap on my M3, although I read the title as how to break into your race car and couldn't figure out why you'd want to do that...

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
3/26/12 2:08 p.m.

I appreciate the timing of this as well. I'm a week away from taking a car that I've owned for a month to a test and tune day.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
3/26/12 2:35 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: It always amazes me how people will throw away a weekend of racing and thousands of dollars due to poor prep work. Had a team at the last rally, car is worth $40k, fireed it up on race day, was stuck in launch control mode. Wasted because they couldn't be bothered to check/test the car the friday before.

I can tell you how that happens - I have been working on my car, alone, every night for the past week trying to get it ready for Mid-Ohio this coming weekend. I have to load it on the trailer Wednesday and I have a lot left to do so I am hurrying - and that always leads to forgetting something stupid.

I won't know what it is until after I tow 400miles.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/26/12 2:39 p.m.

I like how we're posting older articles---it's like a walk down memory lane--crap, that one was 8 years ago!

Per

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
3/26/12 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

You are running Sat and Sunday? If so I will bring my boys up one of the days, as long as you wouldn't mind some company.

3/26/12 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit: I'm running open track all day Friday, and then instructing on Saturday/Sunday so... sure, stop by.

I am not sure what the parking arrangements are so I can't tell you exactly where I'll be. You can find me near the black/gray E30 CM car, #54 (see pic in garage).

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
3/26/12 2:52 p.m.

Cool. My wife will be glad to get us out of the house. Any beer requests?

3/26/12 2:53 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Cool. My wife will be glad to get us out of the house. Any beer requests?

Bring whatever you like - my cooler will be well stocked if you prefer to travel light ;)

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/26/12 3:35 p.m.

I have of people using a paint marker to put a dab of paint on nuts and bolts that are properly torqued. Makes checking very easy

3/26/12 3:49 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I have of people using a paint marker to put a dab of paint on nuts and bolts that are properly torqued. Makes checking very easy

I do that too - navy paint pens are the shiz.

Bowenaero
Bowenaero New Reader
9/16/12 8:22 a.m.

The link isn't working anymore. I have also found this to be the case with lot of other GRM articles that used to be online. Is there a reason for this? I really could use the info.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4oUOYutM7dy3oMwmyFga8re9qH1CS3Lq75uR4iBrBWRjnFzEMelVBeyrnX8Ti1N1