Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
3/17/21 11:59 a.m.

One of the license plate bulbs was out on my wife's Tahoe, so I replaced them with some brand name LED lamps from my FLAPS.  Not expensive.

Did not notice until after I installed them that the package said "For Off Road Use Only"  

I'm going to leave them in  devil

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/17/21 12:02 p.m.

Outlaw! 

And, oddly, I just learned how to play that. smiley

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
3/17/21 12:11 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This is the response I was looking for laugh

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
3/17/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The easiest song ever. I was so stoked when I learned it on guitar, and then had no one to jam out with. 

David S. Wallens
3/17/21 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

We can jam virtually. Yeah, I was able to play it easier than expected even though it uses all the notes. 

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/17/21 1:49 p.m.

Your attitude is all fine and dandy until some LEO decides that your LED L plate lights are being used to obscure your plate letters and numbers...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/17/21 2:31 p.m.

As an inspector non compliant LED lighting is something I have failed cars for.   I particularly like failing jeeps with the non compliant LED headlights that melt retinas at 500 yards.  Why do people think they need these off road use only things for street driving?  I get all warm and fuzzy when I can do this as being blinded by them is dangerous and in some cases the lights are so bright that it is actually painful.  As in migraine inducing painful.  And you are not just blinded for the time the cars lights are shining on you.  You have greatly reduced vision for quite some time after the car goes by.  People that run these are just inconsiderate SOBs.  Oh and I make sure to note it in the inspection report that stays with the vehicles computer File with in the RMV system to they can not just go to another "friendly" shop and get them passed.  Ok then can do this but that inspector would now be in direct violation of a RMV noted defect and it will be hard for them to say they missed it especially with the inspection being recorded.  

I understand that this is "only" license plate lights but there are reasons for the regulations and almost all of them are life safety related and not there for the sake of government being able to over reach.  

Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
3/17/21 2:33 p.m.

I got pulled over and given a warning for my license plate light being out. I went to change it, and it was working fine, the guy was just looking for a reason to pull me over. 

I say the brighter the better. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/17/21 8:19 p.m.
dean1484 said:

As an inspector non compliant LED lighting is something I have failed cars for.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
3/17/21 9:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Outlaw! 

And, oddly, I just learned how to play that. smiley

In related current news that Eldorado has a Cadillac 500.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/17/21 9:24 p.m.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/17/21 10:25 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Well crap. I have some Phillips led license plate bulbs sitting in the back of my car because one of the two is out. Maybe I need to send them back. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/17/21 10:35 p.m.

I won some blue LED windshield squirters at a local autocross years ago. Never took them out of the package - totally illegal to run blue lights. That, and my vehicles don't exude "bling."

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
3/17/21 11:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Vajingo :

We can jam virtually. Yeah, I was able to play it easier than expected even though it uses all the notes. 

Yeah you'd think you can hang out on only the low frets but then the second octave kicks in near the end and you gotta use the little ones.

David S. Wallens
3/18/21 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

The owner of the place I worked way back in the day had one--also a red convertible. His wore Konis, too. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
3/18/21 9:37 p.m.

Well I have LED taillights that blink three times before (motorcycle style) going solid red, LED rear turn signals, LED license plate lights, halogen headlights and LED front turn signals built into the headlight bucket on my Lotus 7 clone. I guess I'm going straight to jail and not passing go. Actually local police when doing safety check for registration said he didn't blame me for having as bright of light as I have for safety in such a small car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
786foT2fXQRsv40o3u7qrhYPiX3iPwxCJcTuSSvssFN50D8zHZMLjPKGgA8QXSJU