wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/23/21 3:42 p.m.

HA!  Careful what you ask for!

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
2/23/21 5:15 p.m.

"I would like a mustang"

Ya, same here. Anyway, back in the day it was a super cool for a guy/husband to run a 1st gen Bronco while his gal/wife drove a '69/70 FB Mustang. Those were the days imo.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/23/21 5:38 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I hope you make some money. At least you are going in with your eyes open. I do think that you would have to back it up quite a bit to get the big money for it. The closer to original the more its worth.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/23/21 6:23 p.m.

Deal done. $23,000 delivered. He will bring it saturday. 

It won't be original BAT creampuff. But I am going to redo the interior, bikini top. Rear bumper. He has rear seats, I will swap the front seats. Fix the floor/carpet, and list it on BAT after that. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/23/21 7:53 p.m.

Great deal!  I had a 73 back in the day.  Of course I sold it before they skyrocketed in value.   I sold it when I bought my FJ60.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/23/21 8:05 p.m.

Very nice! 

hopefully I can cash it all in this year with the hipsters 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
2/23/21 9:56 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Deal done. $23,000 delivered. He will bring it saturday. 

It won't be original BAT creampuff. But I am going to redo the interior, bikini top. Rear bumper. He has rear seats, I will swap the front seats. Fix the floor/carpet, and list it on BAT after that. 

Great deal!

Sounds like a good plan... putting a couple grand into it could easily take it to the $35-40k range.

This was the '66 I should have never sold...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/23/21 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Nice! I don't like the how the rear wheel tucks into the body. Thus I prefer the Toyota FJ more. But hey money is money :D

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/23/21 10:36 p.m.

Pimp

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 New Reader
2/23/21 10:48 p.m.

Original seats in good condition can be expensive, but they're nothing special - they're pretty much the same thing as early Mustang seats. That Bronco is too modified to consider original seats, the Corbeaus fit the look and style of it already.

An orignal hardtop on a stock Bronco is desirable, yes. On a lifted, modified, custom-caged fun driver like that, not so much. An afternarket bikini or soft top fits that style Bronco much better.

If it was mine, I wouldn't sell it. I'd keep it as fun driver - change the dash back to a stock style, fix the sheetmetal tunnel around the shifters, get rid of the aluminum door inserts, change the blacked-out trim (headlight rings, door handles, license plate bracket, etc) back to chrome, put some strong but not ridiculous bumpers on it, upgrade to front discs, turn the muffler clamps upside down so they're not dragging on rocks, put a bikini top and a transfer case skidplate on it, and have fun on trails.

To get top dollar, it all depends on what they buyer is looking for. Somebody that doesn't know much about Broncos but just thinks they're cool? Don't change much, just make it dependable and safe. A serious off-roader? They're going to modify it to suit themselves anyway, just make sure the basics are there and in good shape. A rock-crawler is not going to start with a Bronco that nice and cut it up. A collector won't want it because it's too modified already.

My '71 I bought 20 years ago for $305, as a parts truck, sitting in a field with bullet holes in it, no drivetrain, no top, no interior. Along the way, I've sandblasted, modified, and powdercoated the frame, built a 351W, installed a ZF 5 speed, clocked the T case up, longer radius arms, shock hoops, full-width, 8 lug, disk braked axles (D44 high pinion front, D60 full float rear), custom steering linkage, etc. The only things left that are original are the frame, the T-case, and part of the body tub. It's worth a hell of lot more now than I paid for it, but I'll never sell it. Hell, I've sold several other projects to pay for upgrades to it. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
2/23/21 10:50 p.m.

I don't think you'll have any problem selling that down the road and getting your money's worth.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/23/21 11:03 p.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

Original seats in good condition can be expensive, but they're nothing special - they're pretty much the same thing as early Mustang seats. That Bronco is too modified to consider original seats, the Corbeaus fit the look and style of it already.

An orignal hardtop on a stock Bronco is desirable, yes. On a lifted, modified, custom-caged fun driver like that, not so much. An afternarket bikini or soft top fits that style Bronco much better.

If it was mine, I wouldn't sell it. I'd keep it as fun driver - change the dash back to a stock style, fix the sheetmetal tunnel around the shifters, get rid of the aluminum door inserts, change the blacked-out trim (headlight rings, door handles, license plate bracket, etc) back to chrome, put some strong but not ridiculous bumpers on it, upgrade to front discs, turn the muffler clamps upside down so they're not dragging on rocks, put a bikini top and a transfer case skidplate on it, and have fun on trails.

To get top dollar, it all depends on what they buyer is looking for. Somebody that doesn't know much about Broncos but just thinks they're cool? Don't change much, just make it dependable and safe. A serious off-roader? They're going to modify it to suit themselves anyway, just make sure the basics are there and in good shape. A rock-crawler is not going to start with a Bronco that nice and cut it up. A collector won't want it because it's too modified already.

My '71 I bought 20 years ago for $305, as a parts truck, sitting in a field with bullet holes in it, no drivetrain, no top, no interior. Along the way, I've sandblasted, modified, and powdercoated the frame, built a 351W, installed a ZF 5 speed, clocked the T case up, longer radius arms, shock hoops, full-width, 8 lug, disk braked axles (D44 high pinion front, D60 full float rear), custom steering linkage, etc. The only things left that are original are the frame, the T-case, and part of the body tub. It's worth a hell of lot more now than I paid for it, but I'll never sell it. Hell, I've sold several other projects to pay for upgrades to it. 

Thank you very much. Your info helps and is hte way I want to go with it. Can the dash be changed to stock style? I think with the rollcage, I am not sure it can. 

earlybroncoguy1
2/24/21 10:22 a.m.

That aluminum dash is probably an overlay - the stock dash may still be behind it. If not, no biggie, the stock dash (several different styles) are available from several suppliers. Unless that crossbar over the top of the dash is in the way, that aluminum panel can be removed, then the stock dash basically slips down over a few tabs near the bottom of the windsheild frame, and is screwed to the body tub at the outer edges, near the door frames, by the upper hinges. You can even replace that aluminum panel with a blank, steel panel that's the shape of the original dash, but with no holes cut into it for the speedo/guage, radio, switches, ashtray, glovebox, etc. That would allow you to put everything where you want it, while keeping a (semi)stock appearance.

I modified my stock dash by moving the speedometer/gauge assy from next to the steeing column, over to the center of the dash, fabricated and welded panels where the speedo and the radio used to be and put the stock switches and controls (ignition switch, heater controls, wiper switch, etc) where I wanted them. I also removed the ashtray section, cut out around the glovebox door opening and speaker grill, and moved those to the left a few inches, so the glovebox door clears the rollcage downbar on that side. The dash still looks stock, but just...rearranged.     

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
2/24/21 10:33 a.m.
Rodan said:

WOW , thats what stock wheel wells look like !   Not many of those around  , 

I wonder what Generation the current Stroppe  style Bronco wheel well flares are ?

I am sure there were copies made back in the late 1960s when they first came out , :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/24/21 11:41 a.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

That aluminum dash is probably an overlay - the stock dash may still be behind it. If not, no biggie, the stock dash (several different styles) are available from several suppliers. Unless that crossbar over the top of the dash is in the way, that aluminum panel can be removed, then the stock dash basically slips down over a few tabs near the bottom of the windsheild frame, and is screwed to the body tub at the outer edges, near the door frames, by the upper hinges. You can even replace that aluminum panel with a blank, steel panel that's the shape of the original dash, but with no holes cut into it for the speedo/guage, radio, switches, ashtray, glovebox, etc. That would allow you to put everything where you want it, while keeping a (semi)stock appearance.

I modified my stock dash by moving the speedometer/gauge assy from next to the steeing column, over to the center of the dash, fabricated and welded panels where the speedo and the radio used to be and put the stock switches and controls (ignition switch, heater controls, wiper switch, etc) where I wanted them. I also removed the ashtray section, cut out around the glovebox door opening and speaker grill, and moved those to the left a few inches, so the glovebox door clears the rollcage downbar on that side. The dash still looks stock, but just...rearranged.     

Excellent 

once here in person I can poke around a bit and start ordering some parts 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
2/24/21 12:48 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

WOW , thats what stock wheel wells look like !   Not many of those around  , 

Yeah, not many...  Had I kept it long enough to put in a V8 (it had the little 6), I probably would have chopped the fenders, but on those lugged poker chips it would go through just about anything!

I did put door plugs and a soft top/doors on eventually, but sold it with all the original tin. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/24/21 1:12 p.m.

Those lugged poker chips don't do well in soft sand.  
We had two EB's growing up; a 1972 wagon and a 1970 pick-up.  I only have pictures of the pick-up.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
2/24/21 1:25 p.m.

Whats the "Go To" forum for early Broncos ?

Thanks

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
2/24/21 3:16 p.m.

Are you sure that a stock steel hardtop will even fit over that cage?

I spent a lot of time in my friend's 1970 Bronco (170 ci., three on the tree, hardtop). I had a '65 Mustang at the time. It was obvious that the seat frames were the same, although the foam and fabric were a little different. Any 1965-68 Mustang seats should look right at home in there. Just choose which ones you like best, as they changed a little every year. And they're surprisingly comfortable.

I would go back to a stock dash (though it's nothing special), even if I had to trim it to fit around the cage.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/24/21 5:05 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Are you sure that a stock steel hardtop will even fit over that cage?

I spent a lot of time in my friend's 1970 Bronco (170 ci., three on the tree, hardtop). I had a '65 Mustang at the time. It was obvious that the seat frames were the same, although the foam and fabric were a little different. Any 1965-68 Mustang seats should look right at home in there. Just choose which ones you like best, as they changed a little every year. And they're surprisingly comfortable.

I would go back to a stock dash (though it's nothing special), even if I had to trim it to fit around the cage.

I don't think stock hardtop would fit 

I need to do bikini top and tone down interior 

earlybroncoguy1
2/24/21 5:09 p.m.
earlybroncoguy1
2/24/21 5:19 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Yeah, "uncut" Broncos are few and far between. Of course, there are reproduction rear fender panels available to take a cut Bronco "back" to uncut, or with wheelwells the same shape and size as the front wheewells, or even flared metal or fiberglass. BroncoDesign has fiberglass fenders, full hard tops, half-cab hardtops, bikini hard top panels, fingerlass body tubs, even stretched wheelbase fiberglass body tubs. Whatever type of early Bronco you want, someone makes parts to do it. Honestly, you can assemble a complete Bronco, every nut, bolt, and part, from the aftermarket, without using a single original factory Ford part.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/15/21 7:46 p.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

You are right on the money 

dash is overlay (thank god) 

need to buy steering stabilizers 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
3/16/21 11:46 a.m.

One or two here are probably betting on seeing an orange Bronco on BAT very soon, for like 50k . . .

I had two of these back when they were cheap still, i.e., the late '90s.  One was from Utah and was made mostly of rust.  The other was pretty nice; I sold it for four grand, which is what I paid for it.  Both had that horrifically bad three-speed manual with the Hurst conversion shifter.

So many of these (like so many other collectible vehicles) you see on BAT are just flips.  One must wonder how much of that activity is based on the reality of driving one of these things in a basically original configuration.  They were way better to drive than Jeep CJs (which are also none too cheap anymore), but they're still just old buckets . . .

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/16/21 12:18 p.m.
rustomatic said:

One or two here are probably betting on seeing an orange Bronco on BAT very soon, for like 50k . . .

I had two of these back when they were cheap still, i.e., the late '90s.  One was from Utah and was made mostly of rust.  The other was pretty nice; I sold it for four grand, which is what I paid for it.  Both had that horrifically bad three-speed manual with the Hurst conversion shifter.

So many of these (like so many other collectible vehicles) you see on BAT are just flips.  One must wonder how much of that activity is based on the reality of driving one of these things in a basically original configuration.  They were way better to drive than Jeep CJs (which are also none too cheap anymore), but they're still just old buckets . . .

This is a BAT bronco. I hate convertibles.  I have no desire to own it :)

I prefer to drive my 67 mini or my 83 land cruiser or ride my bikes 

that said it won't be that soon. I have 8 cars in line at bat - that's about 4 months worth ... 

i have a international scout that will be on there as well 

this weekend I am visiting the 48 F1 Ford that is on bat - to make my build a twin. That truck will be here a year as I am into it so little and wife and kids like the bench seat so we willl enjoy it 

that said of the land cruiser I sold (older ones) and the other cars - none are drivers for the new owners 

most of my buyer demo has a Range Rover or 911 or Tesla lease. They are Caucasian yuppie hipsters who want to look cool and pretend they have old money. They have high income but no wealth. But if they like to facilitate my 529 and my early retirement in 14 years - all good with me 

Two of my recent sales are parked in flathead lake and in vail. They have probably 30 miles on them since they were purchased by new owner 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Liqah4Fw02xK4bLRLIBeYcNaIORW4mR2tl1WGFn6FdCde0ygKyZowpIZic707vzC