1 2 3 4 5
Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/16/21 6:30 p.m.

Prices for these things have gone nutso.  As long as the resale red isn't hiding too much bondo, I'd say fair deal.  I think this would look more period correct with some 70ish white graphics or accents. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
3/16/21 6:56 p.m.
rustomatic said:

One or two here are probably betting on seeing an orange Bronco on BAT very soon, for like 50k . . .

I had two of these back when they were cheap still, i.e., the late '90s.  One was from Utah and was made mostly of rust.  The other was pretty nice; I sold it for four grand, which is what I paid for it.  Both had that horrifically bad three-speed manual with the Hurst conversion shifter.

So many of these (like so many other collectible vehicles) you see on BAT are just flips.  One must wonder how much of that activity is based on the reality of driving one of these things in a basically original configuration.  They were way better to drive than Jeep CJs (which are also none too cheap anymore), but they're still just old buckets . . .

You're right.  It's a longing for idyllic days gone by that never really existed in the first place.  I can't believe how silly the prices have gotten on late '80's Grand Wagoneers.  My family had about a half dozen of those over the years before they started to show up in Ralph Lauren ads with all the pretty people.  I can't tell you what a slow, boring, ill-handling and thirsty pile those are.  They actually are pretty good in the snow but it's one of the few redeeming qualities.  But they're hot.  People want em.  Dad had a rotten '87 setting derelict and hidden under thick brush up until last year.  People found it and beat a path to his door.  $3000 and the guy wasn't even phased when the front leaf springs gave out winching it up out of its hole.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/17/21 2:14 p.m.
Hoondavan said:

Prices for these things have gone nutso.  As long as the resale red isn't hiding too much bondo, I'd say fair deal.  I think this would look more period correct with some 70ish white graphics or accents. 

Resale orange doesn't have the bondo. Guy have me a folder full of pics that goes back 23 years so far, and it shows the before paint, during. They are all "what old people say is print photography" hard to just post them here :) 

Been thinking of doing graphics. Trying to come up with a spreadsheet to see how to sell it, what to add, to get the best dollar, and ROI while it sits here about 6 months or so. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/17/21 2:34 p.m.

Don't laugh at my drawing, making some things black is what I am hoping to tone down the orange monster

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/17/21 3:39 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Don't laugh at my drawing, making some things black is what I am hoping to tone down the orange monster

Congrats, this is very cool.  Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be critical at all.  Also glad to hear the truck was built the right way.  I haven't been able to find an image of what's in my head...but here's an example of some graphics that might define the body lines a little better.  Just a thought.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/17/21 5:15 p.m.
Hoondavan said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Congrats, this is very cool.  Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be critical at all.  Also glad to hear the truck was built the right way.  I haven't been able to find an image of what's in my head...but here's an example of some graphics that might define the body lines a little better.  Just a thought.

Oh I welcome all criticism and ideas, because I know as much about Broncos as I do about Siberian Prisons. I like your ideas, I need to break mine up

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/18/21 4:02 p.m.

Most of my experience w/old broncos comes from the fact I didn't buy one when they were still somewhat reasonably priced.  I drove by this one every day for a few months and I still kick myself for not finding a way to buy it.  Back in 2011, I think they were asking $6k or $7k and it had a V8. (bed-liner paint...but who cares).   I did own a 96 Eddie Bauer for a few years, that thing was great...but very different from the first-gen.  Fj40s have followed a similar trend.  

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
3/18/21 5:16 p.m.

Don't tone it down.  Tone it up.  Your BAT audience is imagining cruising Sunset Blvd, not the Rubicon.  The louder it looks, the happier the same guy/girl who drives a G-Wagen (up and down Sunset) with straight pipes will be . . .

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/21 5:49 p.m.
rustomatic said:

Don't tone it down.  Tone it up.  Your BAT audience is imagining cruising Sunset Blvd, not the Rubicon.  The louder it looks, the happier the same guy/girl who drives a G-Wagen (up and down Sunset) with straight pipes will be . . .

Agreed. This Bronco is going to end up cruising the strip in Vegas or LA, it needs to be able attract attention. I'd go bikini top in khaki, gloss black tubular bumpers, and a "Special Decor" stripe package in Yellow.

https://www.broncitisparts.com/product/bronco-special-decor-package-stripe-kit

wawazat
wawazat Dork
3/18/21 6:34 p.m.

Make it pop but not with the yellow stripes.  It'll look like an Oscar Meyer package.    

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/21 9:26 p.m.
wawazat said:

Make it pop but not with the yellow stripes.  It'll look like an Oscar Meyer package.    

The 70's disagree.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/18/21 9:46 p.m.
Hoondavan said:

Most of my experience w/old broncos comes from the fact I didn't buy one when they were still somewhat reasonably priced.  I drove by this one every day for a few months and I still kick myself for not finding a way to buy it.  Back in 2011, I think they were asking $6k or $7k and it had a V8. (bed-liner paint...but who cares).   I did own a 96 Eddie Bauer for a few years, that thing was great...but very different from the first-gen.  Fj40s have followed a similar trend.  

Hindsight is 20/20 for all of us. That's a pretty one

you had the OJ bronco? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/18/21 9:48 p.m.
rustomatic said:

Tone it up ?! Is that possible with this thing ? 

it's lowering my property value as we speak LOL 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/18/21 9:49 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
rustomatic said:

Agreed. This Bronco is going to end up cruising the strip in Vegas or LA, it needs to be able attract attention. I'd go bikini top in khaki, gloss black tubular bumpers, and a "Special Decor" stripe package in Yellow.

https://www.broncitisparts.com/product/bronco-special-decor-package-stripe-kit

Interesting I was going to go black bikini 

but khaki is definitely interesting 

I do want the tubular bunpers for it 

debating sliders  - local friend makes it for the tacoma BROS

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/18/21 9:50 p.m.
wawazat said:

Initially was thinking black for contrast or white for nostalgia 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/18/21 9:50 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
wawazat said:

The 70's disagree.

Damn you 

now rethinking again 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/19/21 12:28 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Hoondavan said:

Hindsight is 20/20 for all of us. That's a pretty one

you had the OJ bronco? 

I did have the OJ Bronco...except mine was red w/tan accents. 351 windsor, manual locking hubs & 300k miles.  Unfortunately, my wife fell in love with it instantly despite the fact it had spent a few years in VT and had body rust & a rear main-seal leak.  We owned it for ~3 years and sold it for what we paid for it ($3,500), so it was a good experience.  I'm used to hunching over to fix things on my cars, but with this you almost needed a stool or to stand on the bumper if you need to do anything under the hood.  It would have been nice to keep the hard top off of it for a bit, but they're not easy to remove and storage would have been an issue.   I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, especially w/a soft top.  We replaced it w/a TJ Wrangler which is nice.  Usually it has just a mesh bikini & no doors, which is great.  

bmw88rider (Supportive Dude)
bmw88rider (Supportive Dude) UltraDork
3/19/21 5:51 p.m.

Tubes are old school. Plate bumpers is the modern mojo. No one builds them any more with tubular. Plate bumpers with a tire carrier on the back and jerry can rack with sliders and a front winch bumper is the modern Brotastic look that this bronco screams for. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/20/21 6:04 a.m.

How about front and rear like this ? 

bmw88rider (Supportive Dude)
bmw88rider (Supportive Dude) UltraDork
3/20/21 8:36 a.m.

Those are actually the ones I was looking at for it. 

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/20/21 9:11 a.m.

Those 2 examples look fantastic. I think they'd help you attract top dollar. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/20/21 10:13 a.m.

Thanks Bmw88rider and dyintorace. 

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/20/21 11:21 a.m.

This:

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/20/21 5:20 p.m.

^^^^

wish my bronco was nice uncut like that 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/20/21 6:12 p.m.
Rodan said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Deal done. $23,000 delivered. He will bring it saturday. 

It won't be original BAT creampuff. But I am going to redo the interior, bikini top. Rear bumper. He has rear seats, I will swap the front seats. Fix the floor/carpet, and list it on BAT after that. 

Great deal!

Sounds like a good plan... putting a couple grand into it could easily take it to the $35-40k range.

This was the '66 I should have never sold...

I love your front white grille 

is that what is stock? I am debating white or stainless or black for the front 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zeOvVWiKGhJWJfikDdxqWrWO9dPVDd0snIfpUMPnKHySSIUiAa3H4rLBreu9qoKI