1 2
patgizz
patgizz Dork
12/11/08 3:49 p.m.

very well put andy

plus the thought of a claim rule would hold me out of any competition ever, since i put way too much time into my stuff to give it up.

formula for win:

68-71 472 or 500 caddy/th400/9" ford/slicks

e30

win

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/12/08 12:55 p.m.

Meh. I dig the claimer rule for an event where there's no concours. Most of our junk is pretty haphazardly thrown together. For the drag event (in our case) lightweight + turbo + nitrous + cut springs. 40 hours of FUN labor @ $10/hr X2 (people) + ~500-700 into the car (assuming we don't need a cage) = $1300 - $1500 including labor. So we either make $500 - $700, keep the car and challenge it, or (see my post on the previous page) win a thousand bucks or so.

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
12/12/08 1:08 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: 1. Tires can be the great equalizer, and no one should have to skimp on safety stuff to stay under budget. Personally, I really dig the LeMons format where tires and ALL safety items aren't included in the budget. IMO, This helps to "level the playing field" (oh god, I sound like a democrat) and most importantly, keep people safe.

I too think this is a great rule format. I've mentioned a few times before (and received quite a rebuke from other forum members) that the Challenge should exempt more safety equipment. The argument against roll bars for instance is that they act as a chassis stiffener. While that's the case, it also adds quite a bit of weight.

Anyway, I once again suggest that the Challenge look hard at exempting more safety equipment.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/12/08 2:13 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
poopshovel wrote: 1. Tires can be the great equalizer, and no one should have to skimp on safety stuff to stay under budget. Personally, I really dig the LeMons format where tires and ALL safety items aren't included in the budget. IMO, This helps to "level the playing field" (oh god, I sound like a democrat) and most importantly, keep people safe.
I too think this is a great rule format. I've mentioned a few times before (and received quite a rebuke from other forum members) that the Challenge should exempt more safety equipment. The argument against roll bars for instance is that they act as a chassis stiffener. While that's the case, it also adds quite a bit of weight. Anyway, I once again suggest that the Challenge look hard at exempting more safety equipment.

I would normally agree, but wasn't the Challenge started to show that you can build something and go racing for X amount of dollars?

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/12/08 2:27 p.m.

Let's not stray too far off topic. I play by GRM's rules w/no complaints. This is a different animal.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/12/08 8:30 p.m.
patgizz wrote: very well put andy plus the thought of a claim rule would hold me out of any competition ever, since i put way too much time into my stuff to give it up. formula for win: 68-71 472 or 500 caddy/th400/9" ford/slicks e30 win

If you're playing to NHRA rules, I think the Caddy would be tough to get legal. The scattershields, after market axles, etc. etc. would be hard to find on a low budget.

Additionally, this is the 1/8. The 472/ 500 is a boat anchor, and you'll never use the hp. It's a lot of extra weight to carry around.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/12/08 8:34 p.m.

I know where there's a F-250 Powerstroke Turbo diesel that might work. Pull off the bed for weight reduction, throw a performance chip on it, and voila! 700 lb/ft of torque, 550 hp.

All 'ya gotta do is hook it up!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YeJzwOyyEr62qbL0O7CGWc4PY3fCBvCbLRqajtiZp2KgE6skgf20AtvNQpKe0zEf