Locost donor?laugh

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/26/21 1:17 p.m.

Put a Corvair body atop it.  

STM317
STM317 UberDork
10/26/21 1:34 p.m.

Some detailer better have gotten a mint for the effort they put in on the interior. This was the interior after the fire was extinguished (Driver's window broken to spray retardant inside?):

2019 Bugatti Chiron interior that is coated in fire extinguisher spray

And this is the interior shot in the Copart ad:

2019 BUGATTI CHIRON

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/21 1:59 p.m.

I hope Moog and Marty scrape together their pennies and purchase it, then as much as I'd love to see a Miata swap, that it ends up in a Honda. 

I also hope that they don't let anyone know that they've done it and keep the project canned for a number of years but then when they decide to retire, release it as their swan song. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/26/21 2:41 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

That's the thing with a Bugatti though, It's not racing because you don't have anybody to race against. It's merely lapping. If you raced a Bugatti in North America you would never have more than three other cars in the field, in your class. That couldn't be further from racing. 

Well the same could be said of a Ferrari, Aston Martin,  etc.    yet my picture shows me racing against not one  $50 million dollar but 2 Ferrari Testa Rossa's  at North Island. Along with other multi million dollar cars such as th Corvette SS  the 1956 LeMans winning D type  etc.   

Then there is Goodwood where the fields are made up of such rare and extreme valued cars.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/26/21 2:51 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

I actually love Veyrons, they are one of the few 'modern' super/hyper cars that interest me along with the Ford GT, but for opposite reasons.  Veyron's are like 4,400lb's.  So far out of the track day realm at that mass I don't see it being useful even for that.  These things are truly amazing GT cars, but it's not a corner carver.  I like them as they seriously moved the needle of what is possible, it's the epitome of Ettore's famous quote 'Nothing is too beautiful, nothing is too expensive'.  But a track car, no thanks.  

4400 pounds?  The Jaguar XJS is over 4600#'s  and a lot of modern high performance street cars are in that neighborhood. 
     Yes a car designed to claim the top speed record is going to be geared wrong for the track and need less caster and more camber gain. To be effective on track.  
 But having a 250 mph street  car is such insanity already that changing it to road racing specifications is actually the most practical use of it.  Think SCCA would approve a carbon Fiber roll cage?   

10/26/21 3:09 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Ferraris literally have club racing and semi pro series in North America and the value of those other cars comes from their chassis racing pedigree and heritage. That comparison is apples to cumquats. Bentley even has more modern racing heritage than Bugatti. Yes there's Goodwood, but that's about it and that's as much of an exhibition and moderately paced concourse as it is a "race". 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/26/21 4:01 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I'm sorry but you are seriously wrong. Vintage racing is serious all out racing with the caveat of No body contact is allowed.  Especially at places like Goodwood.   If you doubt me Goodwood races are available to watch  on line. Along with SVRA   Watch the Big Block Corvette compete against  the Jaguar  XKE with the cast Iron 6 of only 258 inches at Sebring  in 2020. 
Ferrari, Aston Martin, Mercedes, Jaguar,  and others collector value.   It's not just a function of racing pedigree.  Rather style and engineering. Class and availability.
      Look at things like Jaguar's SS 100 with no racing history  yet extreme value.  Same with XKSS   There are Ferrari models like the California that were never raced but are worth really serious money  as well as spec Racing Ferrari's that are relative bargains.  

Then there are cars such as Duesenburg, and Cord, Packard and Rolls Royce.   
As far as a Bugatti's value they'd been valued since the 1920's. Some are valued  for racing while others for luxury and  exclusivity. 

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/26/21 4:13 p.m.

my only question is this;

after the winning bidder spends $350k+ on their shiny new veyron, are they still going to stick forks underneath it and haul it out on a front end loader? 

10/26/21 4:18 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Vintage racing is definitely real racing and there's a gentleman's code of conduct and 13 penalties. It is definitely a truer form of racing than what you will see any modern Bugatti taking part in. I was actually literally confirming what you were suggesting. But I'm saying the good wood festival of speed hill climb portion is not racing. It's an exhibition of speed around hay bales where most drivers go 7/10. Is an example to see extraordinary machinery in motion unlike any other opportunity in the world. But it's horseE36 M3 to call it racing. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/26/21 5:42 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

The hill climb is only one small part of Goodwood racing. 
     There is wheel to wheel racing on the circuit. Divided by class starting with cars from the very beginning of racing.  The early class where flame throwing aircraft motors  roar and race around the track. While that class doesn't typically have much passing due to the massive differences in speed, other classes more than make up for it  with several cars dicing in each corner for position.  Some cars going off track because of misjudgments at corner entry or exit. 
  Watch how hard the owlette  driver is pushing to go as fast as that funny old car will go.  

10/26/21 6:22 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

And find me a video clip or even a photograph of a Bugatti Veyron or Citreon taking part of anything other than the hillclimb portion. Pro tip: You won't. 

They have zero racing pedigree or heritage. They are a poseur car. They're a spectacular feat of engineering and are impressive, but have never competed in an organized competition of speed of relevance. I will yield to you to find proof otherwise. I don't care about vehicles of other value and historical significance as those literally gained their value due to their racing pedigree. I'm saying that you're more likely to find a Bugatti in a Rick Ross video then you are a racetrack and Rick Ross hasn't even had his driver's license for 2 full years. 

Raze (Forum Supporter)
Raze (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/26/21 6:50 p.m.

2 pages and no LS swap?  Come-on GRM laugh

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/26/21 8:08 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

And find me a video clip or even a photograph of a Bugatti Veyron or Citreon taking part of anything other than the hillclimb portion. Pro tip: You won't. 

They have zero racing pedigree or heritage. They are a poseur car. They're a spectacular feat of engineering and are impressive, but have never competed in an organized competition of speed of relevance. I will yield to you to find proof otherwise. I don't care about vehicles of other value and historical significance as those literally gained their value due to their racing pedigree. I'm saying that you're more likely to find a Bugatti in a Rick Ross video then you are a racetrack and Rick Ross hasn't even had his driver's license for 2 full years. 

Just because some Aholes  own a fine piece of engineering doesn't make the car bad. It reinforces the fact that the car is fine.  3.5 million fine. 
   But Jaguars have much the same bunch of Aholes that are attracted to them.  That's good.  Because those Aholes  do a wonderful job of depreciating fine machinery without wearing it out.  
      Add the complexity of early EFI to the mix and the Voodoo of 4 extra cylinders. Bingo.   I get great used mechanicals at prices far below their actual value. 
     So I like poseurs.  Not them per say. But the result.  

johndej
johndej Dork
10/26/21 9:31 p.m.

Wow, well if you use Nurburgring times as a bench mark......the Veyron (can't find where the Chiron has run it) is slow. Like 7:40 min. A new Camaro could beat it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

johndej
johndej Dork
10/26/21 9:47 p.m.

If you go by the Stig, a viper ACR is still quicker but the Veyron super sport still on top 20. A Nissan GT-R will outrun the original.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_test_track_Power_Lap_times#Qualifying_vehicles

10/26/21 10:26 p.m.

The red and black combo with popular for the rentals, and Rick Ross is even involved in the track. Again probably the only involvement of one and a track...

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
10/27/21 4:34 a.m.

This is just a thought experiment but if it truly sells for 350,000 then that’s roughly 10% of its original values. If we use the Miata as a benchmark, that’s like buying a $3000 Miata assuming a $30,000 purchase price. On a modest salary, say $60,000 a year, a $3000 Miata is 5% of your income. Scaling up, that means if a veyron sells for $350,000 you need a salary of $7 million a year to keep the same ratio. That’s...more... than I make, but certainly not outside the budget of a CEO, major corporate lawyer, neurosurgery practice owner, etc who might be a gear head and is looking for a “stupid” project. I guess my point is that grassroots is scalable, and if I had the money, I’m not so sure I would scoff at this if I was just looking to play with a cool piece of engineering. These are my rambling thoughts at 5am 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/27/21 6:30 a.m.
Raze (Forum Supporter) said:

2 pages and no LS swap?  Come-on GRM laugh

I want to know what people would put the Veyron's  driveline in to.   It is a runner after all. 

10/27/21 6:56 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Fiero kit car that looks like a Ferrari. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/27/21 7:16 a.m.

This comes to mind

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
10/27/21 7:56 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You are getting used mechanicals cheap because nobody else wants them. That's not to say they are bad or of poor quality, it's a simple supply and demand equation. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/27/21 9:15 a.m.

As would the mechanicals from a Bugatti.  I still wonder about the mechanicals of that Maserati I passed on.  Would the Ferrari engine be a needy fragile piece or an exciting durable piece?   
    Race cars should be plenty durable since they tend not to be neglected,  started in freezing weather,  or otherwise abused. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NyYjGEzo36y2JCyLMWxSRtG7Hma0qdEuYeOxuiOEvuUIXMPefSpHTSzdKMJLd1oT