dherr
dherr HalfDork
7/17/19 12:30 p.m.

So I am working with a friend to build a V8 MGB. Thanks to Keith Tanner for paving the way as his published build of the LS1 MGB GT has been very useful. My friend bought a 74 MGB that had a SBC and Powerglide transmission as well as a Ford 9 inch rear. Nice paint and looked like it was well done, but under the surface, the engine and transmission was really a weak point. He started taking it apart and as he found more and more things wrong, I told him to strip it down and we could start from there.

We ended up going LT1 and T56 for the drivetrain as he really wanted a manual transmission. We ended up cutting out all of the transmission tunnel and moving the engine forward again and rebuilding the firewall and transmission tunnel using an MGB tunnel we cut out of a parts car and building up the rest out of steel instead of the fiberglass, aluminum sheet and road signs that were used previously for the build. Crazy what you find under all that undercoating.

We are now putting it back together. For his headers, we will be creating custom headers that exit into the wheel wells and run back along the frame rails. Anyone used Iceworks or similar header modeling kits and if so, anyone willing to sell a kit or loan us a kit to build our headers? 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
7/17/19 12:49 p.m.

Someone either reverse engineered an Ice engine works kit or came up with their own design and put them on thingiverse.  They have been on my list to print for awhile just never had a need to print them. Linky  There's also files for different size tubing and CLR bends.

Edit: Depending on your timing I'd be interested in helping out with printing a kit.

dherr
dherr HalfDork
7/17/19 1:14 p.m.

That would be amazing useful. The engine is a 95 LT1 SB2 and we were going to use  1-5/8 primaries. Let me know what it would cost to print out the kit, no rush as we have lots of work to do in the meantime.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
7/17/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to dherr :

I'll play around with the files tonight to figure out how much print time and material it would take to make a set.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
7/17/19 9:46 p.m.

In reply to dherr :

You have mail.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RPMOsPxhcYgZhNb7tVUerF1IwzObpIHu8dv9OanKCuOnNlAutQq3FskAmpiaNQgs