2 3 4
gunner
gunner HalfDork
1/24/20 5:57 p.m.
Vigo said:

I would be interested to know how you modified the suspension

I sent you a message through the forums. I will post a thread about it here sometime because i feel like i 'fixed' the Pacifica and created a low buck way for GRM'ers to like them a lot more.  

Message recieved. Friggin sweet!

gunner
gunner HalfDork
1/24/20 7:30 p.m.

I've got my own minivan story...In 2009 we decided to get a minivan for our 2nd baby, to have room for the (now) four of us. So here I am daydreaming about a 1st gen sienna because there was an available supercharger kit at one point, but checking out odysseys because they had koni yellows available for them. Low and behold we were able to procure a 2003 sienna with 60K miles on the clock for 10K. Then I learn that the supercharger is a no go on that year due to the new coil pack style ignition. Well snap, gosh darn! I lost any easy performance possibility with that purchase.

The Irony that my daughter now owns what can be a cheap GRM Performance Minivan. I am giddy.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
1/25/20 2:24 p.m.

Test drove a few yesterday. Pretty set on leather now for ease of cleaning. I was amazed at how beat up all of them seemed to be. I guess nobody buys a minivan unless they plan to use it hard. First dealer we went had all the makes and models but felt like a sketchy used car dealer so we left, making the day longer. 

2014 Sienna felt the most like an appliance, nothing bad other than just as expensive for an older higher mileage vehicle. The loudest of the group.

2016 Sedona whatever the top trim is. Ugliest of the bunch, don't like the steering wheel in general. Probably would make for a nice appliance, heated/cooled seats.

2017 Pacifica was the quietest of the bunch had a nice steering wheel. This one had all the stupid sensors that wouldn't stop beeping. Partially because the dealer blocked the backup sensor with the license plate.

Still need to get out an drive a Honda, we currently have a CRV so having similar controls might win out. All the vans seem very similar in my opinion. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/25/20 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

The minivan code was cracked in the '90s, and aside from bells and whistles, the overall layout and build is pretty much predetermined by what makes a minivan a minivan. They are not, by any means, the bleeding edge of automotive innovation.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
1/25/20 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/25/20 7:44 p.m.

Yup. Although, to be honest, I didn't buy any of mine for the looks...

Best looking minivan in my opinion is the V42 Nissan Quest, model years 2004-2009. They actually look different enough to be cool. 

dj06482
dj06482 UltraDork
1/25/20 9:38 p.m.

I really like the new Pacificas. We rented one for a week and if you handed me $30k and said I needed to buy a new vehicle, that would be my choice. The powertrain was fantastic, handling/braking was excellent, and it was much quieter than our '05 Odyssey on the highway. The icing on the top was the subtle growl from the Pentastar V6. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/25/20 10:46 p.m.

You can turn quite a lot of "noise" off from the center stack below the touchscreen.

One for the lane departure, and one for the park sense.  The nice thing is that once you turn them off, they stay off.

The lane sensing gets annoyed if you don't the steering wheel or if it thinks you're gonna leave the lane.  The Toyota Sienna we rented did the same, but it was more dim witted.  So we generally leave it off.

The park sense is actually less obtrusive and useful.  Provided someone doesn't screw it up with the placement of the license plate.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
1/26/20 1:36 a.m.
Stefan said:

The park sense is actually less obtrusive and useful.  Provided someone doesn't screw it up with the placement of the license plate.

Also, keep in mind where the sensors are placed.

There's a building nearby they squeezed into an old house lot, so it has an exterior shelf to hold the havoc systems.  It's clearly marked with red tape.  I figure the minivan I watched parking was relying on the sensors when they blew out their rear window backing into the shelf.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
1/28/20 1:43 p.m.

First sticker I'm making when I buy a van. 

I was told we are getting an Odyssey, how new of one do I need to get to avoid oil consumption issues? 

I voted Pacifica, it was the nicest most affordable in my opinion. Unfortunately my in laws had an early 2000s Pacifica "piece of s***ica" according to them so my wife is a bit biased. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/28/20 1:46 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

There's a building nearby they squeezed into an old house lot, so it has an exterior shelf to hold the havoc systems.

"Havoc system" is a good autocorrect.

HVAC system causes havoc - it becomes a havoc system.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E3b4Zm69c1WR5vxHWtVvWkmYbPvG4lW3Mzg0RWC8lSAUmpJzhkGDfLuKDn7KiWhw