NVHEngr
NVHEngr Reader
12/27/17 8:59 a.m.

I am putting the word out for anyone that needs any CAD drawings. I am looking to take on some part-time work to get back to what brought me to engineering. The deeper I get into my career, the more I miss doing 3D modeling, FEA, floor plans, etc. Project management pays the bills but isn't the most stimulating activity in the world.

Since I am just getting started with my own personal business, I am taking on jobs for little to no cost. I am sure people on the board would like to have prints for a 3D printer. If I have enough demand I might purchase my own printer and offer full service. I have experience in crash testing, automotive design, and government work. 

Please pass this along to anyone you might know interested in this service. At this point no project is too small.

Email jcullins21@gmail.com or message me here with any projects you might have in mind.

Thanks!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/27/17 9:41 a.m.

Would you be willing to make a gauge cluster design for a 64 el Camino?

I can see what i want in my head, but have no talent to create on paper or screen. 

NVHEngr
NVHEngr Reader
12/27/17 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Of course! Send me an email with what you have in mind and I will put something together for you. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/27/17 2:58 p.m.

What version of cad do you have?  We are on 16 & 17 in my office.  

I am always looking to farm out the basic cad lay up for projects.  It usually means we would send you a cad file with a PDF in it that you then trace over that we then use as a base drawing for the project.  It is usually elevations or roof plans (or both) not exciting stuff but it has to be done by some one.  

Shameless plug for my company but if you want to see what we do click here.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
12/27/17 3:23 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I am always looking to farm out the basic cad lay up for projects.  It usually means we would send you a cad file with a PDF in it that you then trace over that we then use as a base drawing for the project.  It is usually elevations or roof plans (or both) not exciting stuff but it has to be done by some one.  

Since we are shameless plugging, you guys look like you could use a new website... My website services

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/27/17 3:50 p.m.

You have mail!

Thank you for being willing to work with a luddite. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/27/17 6:00 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:
dean1484 said:

Since we are shameless plugging, you guys look like you could use a new website... My website services

My web site is nothing but a money suck to the company. In more than 20 years I have developed absolutely zero income from web exposure. The thing only costs me money. The only reason I keep my sub par site up is so people don’t think I am out of business.  Oh and I have had zero wed site developers willing to take my offer of 1 percent of the gross revenue generated from my site in return for there designing and maintaining a site for me. They all seem to want to get paid yesterday. Funny how that works.  

In short yes my site sucks thanks for pointing out the obvious. I am not going to even look at your link due to your tactful manor of letting me know this. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/27/17 6:16 p.m.

Since you guys are looking new websites and services you might want to buy some hydraulic hose from me.  I have air and steam hose too.  

NVHEngr
NVHEngr Reader
12/28/17 1:20 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Since I just ventured out on my own, I only have Fusion 360. I've used 16 before. If work dictates it I will purchase a license from Autodesk. Do you have any examples of what you're farming out? It's not a shameless plug at all! Your company looks like it's into some very interesting things. 

Please send me a sample .pdf to jcullins21@gmail.com

NVHEngr
NVHEngr Reader
12/28/17 1:27 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

You have mail!

Thank you for being willing to work with a luddite. 

Did you send me an email? I checked all my folders and there was nothing new. JCULLINS21@gmail.com

Thanks!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/28/17 6:02 a.m.

In reply to NVHEngr :

First attempt was pm through the forum. 

Just did a direct rmail. Let me know if it doesn't make it. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/28/17 7:51 a.m.
NVHEngr said:

The deeper I get into my career, the more I miss doing 3D modeling, FEA, floor plans, etc. Project management pays the bills but isn't the most stimulating activity in the world.

+1

I miss getting into a groove and doing some serious design for a day or two instead of juggling priorities/schedules/reports/etc.  I'm leaning toward consulting in the future.

Good luck to you sir.  There are many hurdles to overcome, especially if your services are limited to CAD only.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
12/28/17 8:15 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I did not mean to offend. In my opinion and experience, even if a website isn't bringing in and money just having something up to date makes potential new customers finding you a lot more confident. Perhaps in your field you're established enough and that is unnecessary, that's fine. You can't blame me for trying. 

And as for your site being a money suck, if it's costing you any more than $135/year for hosting and the domain renewal something is wrong. If it's that much or less, then the web presence is worth it and it is not a money suck. Again, my opinion, take it as you will, and again I didn't mean to offend or be rude, so I apologize if it came off that way. 

NVHEngr, sorry for cluttering your thread. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/28/17 4:52 p.m.

The money suck has been the web developers that want thousands up front and hold your domain hostage until you pay to revamp your site. And are not willing to do the work on a performance based payment system.  

I sell intellectual property not widgets. My site can not sell that.  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
1/2/18 7:47 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Sounds like some sucky web developers then, sorry you had bad luck with that. 

That said, if you wanted a re-vamp of your site I could do it pretty quick and for less than $1000 if you'd be interested. Not sure what you meant by the performance based payment system, but if you're interested in chatting more feel free to send me a message through the board or through my site. 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
1/2/18 9:22 a.m.

OP - you have mail!!!

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/2/18 10:06 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to dean1484 :

I did not mean to offend. In my opinion and experience, even if a website isn't bringing in and money just having something up to date makes potential new customers finding you a lot more confident. Perhaps in your field you're established enough and that is unnecessary, that's fine. You can't blame me for trying. 

And as for your site being a money suck, if it's costing you any more than $135/year for hosting and the domain renewal something is wrong. If it's that much or less, then the web presence is worth it and it is not a money suck. Again, my opinion, take it as you will, and again I didn't mean to offend or be rude, so I apologize if it came off that way. 

I agree. As a part time web developer, I can say you should be able to get basic webhosting for about $2 a month, and domain name registration for $10 a year. A decent static website should run no more than $500 that looks good and professional and you can direct people to as sort of an online brochure (you don't have to sell anything online, but it's nice to be able to tell about what you do). Since we're in shameless plugging mode, these are two examples of what I've done in that price range or less: www.edkelllaw.com/  www.cblifestylecoaching.com/

pheller
pheller PowerDork
1/2/18 10:14 a.m.

While CAD services are neat, what I'd like to see is cheap prototyping and manufacturing. 

There have been a few times where I said "man if only i could draw up a basic sketch that was good enough for a local machine shop to take seriously, but then they wouldn't be interested because I'd only want to pay $100 for it." 

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
1/2/18 11:24 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

The problem with onesie-twosies like that is that you have fixed costs in set up, inspection, and simply figuring out how to make the widget. Those costs don't differ a whole lot whether you're making 1, 10, or 100 pieces, but with no volume over which to defray those costs, it ends up becoming a huge component of the piece price. 

NVHEngr
NVHEngr Reader
1/5/18 2:43 a.m.
Robbie said:

OP - you have mail!!!

I sent a reply. Let's get something going!

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
1/5/18 8:21 p.m.

We have a house design in mind, can you help with a floor plan? Looking like ~2200 Sq. Ft.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/7/18 10:51 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Sorry for not responding to this. Been preoccupied with things. I will reach out. My site is one step above a internet dumpster fire. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
1/8/18 7:35 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Not a problem, thanks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ICbrcnv4Sqbo9yYAoa41x8G2tVqWgQi5nbFIbq8gQPWfm4lVhEKpGIQrj2WSQgAH