1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/26/10 9:37 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Hasn't a Cadillac wagon been around for a few years?

Not to get too wrapped up in semantics, but I'm going to call that an SUV-crossover-type thing. Wow, it looks jacked-up in that photo, too.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
5/26/10 9:57 p.m.

With the thread title I was thinking Hearse.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/26/10 10:04 p.m.

I predict slow sales due to price but then with the need for sales volumes to achieve economies of scale these wagons will be forced (dumped) onto the rental car world. Most of those going to rental will be low optioned versions.

Used low optioned versions will depreciate quickly. Loaded versions will have their values pulled down as well from the rentals but will remain slightly higher.

I will search them on the used market but finding one with the options you really want will be next to impossible.

Due to the slow sales, GM will contiue to turn its back on wagons claiming that the US buyer does not like them.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
5/26/10 10:22 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Due to the slow sales, GM will contiue to turn its back on wagons claiming that the US buyer does not like them.

Just like we won't buy diesels. If there was a TDI manual wagon available in the <$20k range I'd be driving a new car instead of an 89 Volvo. And I'd happily pay the note on a new diesel Rubicon. Maybe I should just move to Europe and be done with it

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
5/26/10 11:43 p.m.

Europe got/gets? a wagon version of the Chrysler 300, with a diesel to boot (tho, in reality, it's just a Magnum with a 300 front clip). Cadillac doesn't seem to have plans to put a diesel in the CTS when sold in Europe...but if the sales are there, who knows? However, don't look for a diesel in the U.S.

pres589
pres589 Reader
5/26/10 11:53 p.m.

On this very forum a while back I called the CTS Wagon "the answer to an automotive question nobody asked" and I stand behind that. It's not that great looking, it sounds pretty poorly laid out inside from a load floor and general packaging perspective, and it takes away time and engineering and money that would have been better spent bringing the CTS Coupe to market.

Who is this going to lure into driving home with one? No dyed in the wool Subaru fanatic would get one, or Saab, or really even Audi or BMW. I've been wrong before but I'm calling this a painful flop for a company that needs none at this time.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
5/27/10 6:06 a.m.

What is the CTS's competition? Volvo wagon? Charger?

The one Datsun1500 put up looks like that goofy Mopar crossover whatever thingie Pacifica. Not a van, not a car, not a wagon, not tall enough to be a mini van.

For the money I would plunk down on a CTS, I could do better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVVHaNjP0oc

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/27/10 6:34 a.m.

These are all sub $40k offerings:

Audi A4 Avant BMW 328i Sports Wagon

These are $50k offerings:

Audi A6 Avant Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon

GM missed the mark sending you a fully loaded car, according to the website they start at $38k:

CTS SportWagon

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/27/10 7:05 a.m.

I was raised on wagons. I love 'em.

CTS stands for Cadillac's The Shiznett.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
5/27/10 7:21 a.m.

Rather have this:

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/28/10 4:07 p.m.

Make THIS:

From CARS

from THIS:

From CARS

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/28/10 4:51 p.m.

Wow, that version of the Buick looks very respectable!
This coming from a former Volvo 850 wagon owner.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/28/10 4:58 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Wow, that version of the Buick looks very respectable! This coming from a former Volvo 850 wagon owner.

5 minute MSPaint 'chop.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/28/10 5:03 p.m.

You're not too far from Buick City. Do you know anyone who would listen?

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
5/28/10 6:14 p.m.

Supercharged. Station wagon. Best motor GM makes (outside of the ls9). Why would ANYONE dislike this?

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
5/28/10 7:34 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Supercharged. Station wagon. Best motor GM makes (outside of the ls9). Why would ANYONE dislike this?

Unfortunately, there is a stigma attached to wagons...which places them below the mini-van.

Wagons rule.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
5/28/10 8:26 p.m.

Remember that goofy screw-on station wagon package you could put on a 70s Vette? Put one on a XLR.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
5/28/10 8:57 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Make THIS: (Buick Regal wagon 'shoop) from THIS: (Buick Regal)

It's possible. C&D says that Buick might (emphasized so you don't get your hopes up) bring over the H/B and/or wagon and may even put a diesel in it to compete with the VW Jetta TDI wagon:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/more-regalia-buick-plans-to-bring-us-more-options/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+caranddriver/blog+%28Car+and+Driver+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

GM's already testing Buick-badged Opel Insignia Estates here in the US:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spied/10q2/2012_buick_regal_wagon-spied/gallery

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/28/10 9:25 p.m.

Ah, pictures of the Opel version.
That could compete with the Toyota Venza.
Note the interesting lines though. It is a lot of rear overhang and there is still a lot of car after the d-pillar including that wrap around rear window.

Note the tail lights inside the cargo area. I guess this is so the car will still be legal if driven with the hatch open.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
5/28/10 10:42 p.m.
JFX001 wrote:
mndsm wrote: Supercharged. Station wagon. Best motor GM makes (outside of the ls9). Why would ANYONE dislike this?
Unfortunately, there is a stigma attached to wagons...which places them below the mini-van. Wagons rule.

And that is part of what makes them awesome. Wagons rule, and rule even harder when you smoke some goober in some sort of whatever that they think is fast.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
5/28/10 10:55 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Rather have this:

Did they really make that. I must have one!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/29/10 7:01 a.m.

Custom. Cadillac has never made a wagon. Well, at least as long as their engines have had over head valves.

petegossett
petegossett SuperDork
5/29/10 7:04 a.m.

You know, the more I think about it, what I really want is a CTS-V flower car.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
5/29/10 9:07 a.m.
petegossett wrote: You know, the more I think about it, what I *really* want is a CTS-V flower car.

Don't they call those 'utes in Aussie land?

/me dreams of a g8 based CTS-V el camino... OMG.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
5/29/10 9:22 a.m.

Yep. Someday when the Prize Patrol finds my driveway....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2gzzuA8Cowtf3JRWUq3QGhdkZn1Hjfk8W4CV8KMbA1JUNFSq57fl9ft2dEyICeSU