1 2 3
2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/9/16 8:55 a.m.

So, I just got a new job that will require me to commute about 50 miles one way. The first third of the drive is a 75-80 mph interstate, followed by a 55 mph road.

What's your choice for a commuter vehicle? My 20mpg Subaru Outback is probably going to get replaced rather soon. There's a cheap, salvage title 1g Honda Insight that I'm tempted to pick up, but I'm afraid I might get bored with it. 60-80 mpg would definitely save me some cash over the long term though!

I prefer hatches and wagons, but would consider a sedan. Let's hear some suggestions!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/9/16 9:00 a.m.

Been there, done that.

W126 ALL THE WAY

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/9/16 9:25 a.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A ten year old Saab 9-3 is interesting enough to drive daily, gets 35 MPG highway, and is one of the safest beasts around if things go sideways. My brother did literally NO maintenance to his aside form occasional oil changes and it was excellent until a truck pulled into his lane head on at 55. And from that he walked away.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
6/9/16 9:28 a.m.

What's your price range? My first impulse is 2nd or 3rd gen Prius, as they are getting to be pretty cheap, and while they may not have as much space as the Ouback, they'd be pretty good.

If your budget is lower, maybe a EG or EK civic hatch. Get good mileage, and tons of options for modifications.

Also, take into consideration the economics of the drive. Assuming 250 days of commuting(50 weeks a year), you'll commute 25,000 miles in a year. At 20 MPG (though I hope you'd get better mileage on a highway commute), you'll burn 1250 gallons of gas per year commuting in the outback. At $2.50 per gallon, that's $3125. Assuming the Civics could net you 35 MPG, that's about 714 gallons, or $1785, with a savings of $1340 a year. Assuming 45 MPG out of a Prius, 556 gallons and $1390, saving $1735.

Amortizing this out to three years (just a wild ass guess on how long you'll keep the car or job), you'd save $4K buying a used Civic, or about $5200 buying a used Prius. So, those numbers, plus whatever you sell the Ouback for would be the maximum you'd want to spend to break even on a car. That doesn't take into account the residual value of whatever you buy, but since it would be exchanging one car for another, it probably makes sense to not count it.

If you keep the Outback, and buy an additional car, you'd probably want to take into account the gas savings, then subtract what it's going to cost (insurance, maintenance) to keep the Subaru around in order to find a break even point.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/9/16 9:30 a.m.

The 1G Insight's not a bad choice. Maybe a used Nissan Leaf if you can charge at work?

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
6/9/16 9:34 a.m.

I drove a GD3 Honda Fit (2007-2008) 75 miles a day round trip for many years. A good mix of highway and stop and go city plus some 2 lane roads. It got good gas mileage, was fun to drive with the 5 speed manual and never broke or required anything but routine maintenance. I only stopped driving it on that long of a commute when I transferred to a different work location and bought a house 4 minutes from the office.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/9/16 9:36 a.m.

I was thinking LS400. Bullet proof, comfortable and quiet.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
6/9/16 9:37 a.m.

I'd offer an opinion but I dd a 996 and sometimes do 150 in a day. So 26 mpg on premium along with short life spans on rear tites and $120 oil changes are probably not a great idea.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/9/16 9:41 a.m.

I'd pick comfort over all out mpg with that distance.

Driving a loud, rattly tin box is going to get old real fast.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UberDork
6/9/16 9:44 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again. A ten year old Saab 9-3 is interesting enough to drive daily, gets 35 MPG highway, and is one of the safest beasts around if things go sideways. My brother did literally NO maintenance to his aside form occasional oil changes and it was excellent until a truck pulled into his lane head on at 55. And from that he walked away.

What he said, or a 9-5. Either way I would only go for an Aero.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/9/16 9:46 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I'd pick comfort over all out mpg with that distance. Driving a loud, rattly tin box is going to get old real fast.

This. And I definitely would not get a plug-in electric at that range.

You're going to be in this self-mobilizing room for 2+ hours a day. It should be quiet and comfortable. Prius might make some sense, but so might an Avalon.

Mike
Mike Dork
6/9/16 9:51 a.m.

You're going to spend a lot of time in it. I think you'd want comfort and fuel economy, and you said you wanted a wagon.

Lexus CT200h. It's a luxury Prius.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/9/16 9:54 a.m.

A pure EV isn't a bad idea at that range...a new Chevy Bolt or Tesla 3 (if you could buy one) would do it even if you only charged it every other night. A new Leaf would do it if you charged it every night, but not with much to spare. A used Leaf won't make it both ways for sure, but if you could charge at work you'll be fine.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
6/9/16 9:54 a.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: I drove a GD3 Honda Fit (2007-2008) 75 miles a day round trip for many years. A good mix of highway and stop and go city plus some 2 lane roads. It got good gas mileage, was fun to drive with the 5 speed manual and never broke or required anything but routine maintenance. I only stopped driving it on that long of a commute when I transferred to a different work location and bought a house 4 minutes from the office.

I drove our 2009 Fit 100-300 miles per day for over 3-years. Never had any mechanical problems, and with a set of Conti DWS it did fine year-round. I averaged 35mpg(measured) without driving too conservatively.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
6/9/16 9:56 a.m.

When you're commuting that much, there's a sweet spot between comfort, quiet, MPG, and cost. I'd try it in your car for a little bit, see what annoys you, and then pick from there.

I would suggest erring on the side of comfort and quiet, while still getting reasonable mileage. Also consider the difference between regular and premium gas, as it can change the cost equation. Something boring like an Accord or Camry (especially the hybrid model) may be a good option.

I daily drive a manual, '01 Mustang GT with 289k, and my round-trip commute is 70 miles (but averages about 2.5 hours). I drive mostly on back roads, so there are many stops/starts/etc. It's better than the stop and go alternative if I took the highway, but not by much.

I love a manual, but an auto would make my commute less stressful. And I'm also looking at options to making the Mustang quieter (go back to stock intake, add sound deadening, etc).

With the speeds you're looking at on the highway, I think having a car that's quiet will be a huge plus. Aerodynamic cars like the Prius will have less wind noise, too. My Mustang would be obnoxious on the highway at 75-80 MPH, it only works for me because my average speed is much lower than that.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/9/16 9:58 a.m.

The Mercedes suggestion got me looking. Would I be crazy to go look at this?

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2844546?ad_cid=3

Lower it on some AMG 18s and that would be one sexy car. I'm a BMW guy so euros don't scare me, but I've never lived with an MB before.

Mike
Mike Dork
6/9/16 10:07 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: A pure EV isn't a bad idea at that range...a new Chevy Bolt or Tesla 3 (if you could buy one) would do it even if you only charged it every other night. A new Leaf would do it if you charged it every night, but not with much to spare. A used Leaf won't make it both ways for sure, but if you could charge at work you'll be fine.

OP is in a mountainous region that experiences average lows below freezing several months out of the year. There are some very detailed charts out there produced by LEAF nerds that allow a calculation of real world range for a given speed and temperature, and with a given number of battery condition bars. I'd suggest significant research, since a 2011 LEAF that spent its life in the desert, for example, might not be able to climb a mountain pass at 70 on a 20F day and still manage 50 miles.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
6/9/16 10:09 a.m.

Diesel VW?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
6/9/16 10:29 a.m.

I do 150 miles/day. I love my mk6 TDI VW Golf, but I have no idea what's going to happen with this whole emissions scandal buyback/fix coming down the line.

HFmaxi
HFmaxi New Reader
6/9/16 10:34 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: I do 150 miles/day. I love my mk6 TDI VW Golf, but I have no idea what's going to happen with this whole emissions scandal buyback/fix coming down the line.

second that.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
6/9/16 10:40 a.m.

I'll agree with the suggestions about comfort first. If you're going to be spending so much time in there, it might as well be pleasant. So comfy seats, nice heat and a/c, good stereo, etc. Make it pleasant for your, by whatever measures please you.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/9/16 10:45 a.m.

WE're in that same situation with the wife. 75 miles per day. The car that topped the list for her is the new Optima LX Turbo. 1.6L GDI-T with the 7-spd dual clutch auto. Large enough to be comfortable, great amenities and 40mpg highway. Can't talk her into spending htemoney just yet... but it's the best driving car that fits those needs.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/9/16 10:45 a.m.

I do similar, if not more, miles daily in my 2002 legacy wagon. It works well for this, except for the gas mileage.

Will be getting replaced with a 1st gen neon when it's time.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
6/9/16 10:50 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: I was thinking LS400. Bullet proof, comfortable and quiet.

Agree, throw in the LS430 too, easier to find nice examples.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/9/16 10:55 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Diesel VW?

RIP planet

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVRjXWDecUH4GbaU5r90UxxkjgvEY2YRs5IZWQfejmcS9LrJ9SPqIU0A3adyQmUT