grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
10/2/08 1:40 p.m.

I need a quick fix for my Aurora. the AC compressor is hosed up. (probably from sitting all summer) the clutch disintegrated and lost about 50% of the ball bearings,

So, since I only drive the car in the winter and rainy days, I plan on removing the AC compressor and bypassing it.

any ideas on what size replacement serpentine belt to use?

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
10/2/08 4:06 p.m.

Wrap a string around all of the functioning pulleys. Measure this in millimeters. That will be the last four digits of the belt part number you need. Count the number of ribs. Tell these numbers to the parts store, and buy three belts--one a little shorter and one a little longer. One of those three will work. Return the other two.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
10/2/08 4:36 p.m.

Buy a USED compressor for $35.00 and remove the clutch and install it!!!

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
10/2/08 9:18 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Buy a USED compressor for $35.00 and remove the clutch and install it!!!

lol

show me at usable $35 compressor for a 96 Aurora. plus, the clutch is severally damaged into nonexistance on the one I have.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/2/08 11:38 p.m.
grtechguy wrote:
John Brown wrote: Buy a USED compressor for $35.00 and remove the clutch and install it!!!
lol show me at usable $35 compressor for a 96 Aurora. plus, the clutch is severally damaged into nonexistance on the one I have.

You're in Michigan, the U-Pulls should be filling up with those by now, no? Anyway, car-part.com says you can call these guys for an AC compressor for $34:

Olympic Auto Sales USA-MI(Flint) 810-785-8000

It's pretty easy to figure out how to bypass the AC compressor if there's room for it if you follow Kramer's instructions. Make sure you follow the stock routing and don't turn anything backwards. I thought that the part numbers for most belts ended with inches though (XX.X = XXX). However, instead of getting one shorter and one longer, I say get two shorter and two longer, it's easier to bring back two more extras than it is to make one extra trip to the store.

Bryce

RXBeetle
RXBeetle New Reader
10/3/08 12:13 a.m.

Here's what I did in the same situation when the clutch asssploded on the road. Take the old belt, cut it. Hold one end on a pulley and wrap the rest of the belt around the pulleys in what ever fashion drives the rest of the non AC pulleys. Mark where the excess belt overlaps the end that you are holding to the pulley. Now add ~1" for tensioner slack. It's the most accurate way to measure since you are using an actual belt and not folding a tape measure around or getting yelled at for stealing your mom/wives sewing tape measure.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
10/3/08 6:32 a.m.

http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,677802/shopping/allResults.htm

IIRC the clutch was used on other apps as well, you would need to get a paper interchange book and do the research. I believe it is the same as the 3800 and 3500V6 compressor clutch. (The 3800 ones are usually the cheap ones)

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
10/3/08 6:50 a.m.
Kramer wrote: Wrap a string around all of the functioning pulleys. Measure this in millimeters. That will be the last four digits of the belt part number you need. Count the number of ribs. Tell these numbers to the parts store, and buy three belts--one a little shorter and one a little longer. One of those three will work. Return the other two.

This should work but make sure you use a string that doesn't strectch or your measurement will be long.

fornetti14
fornetti14 New Reader
10/3/08 12:16 p.m.

Call Autozone and see if they spec. the car without A/C - that worked for me once.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
10/3/08 12:19 p.m.

Nope, all Auroras have AC.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
10/3/08 3:06 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Nope, all Auroras have AC.

yep.... "luxury sport" car. more bells and whistles than you can count.

damn thing tells me when the washer fluid is low and what door is slightly cracked open.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
10/3/08 4:56 p.m.

Sometimes you can find a A/C bypass pulley that will bolt up. Not sure if AutoZone has one listed, but you install it in place of the A/C compressor, and you can use the same belt. The pulley just takes the place of the A/C pulley so you don't have to buy a shorter belt.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
10/4/08 10:18 p.m.
  1. you can buy the individual pieces of the A/C clutch separately and replace just the pieces you need.
  2. You use your A/C more in the winter / rain than you do in the summer. your A/C is part of your defog system.
  3. I doubt you can just get a shorter belt to bypass the A/C. Most cars with a single serpentine belt system don't respond well to just taking the A/C out of the loop. Your aurora uses a 6 point serp belt.
    if your lower right pulley is the A/c then you may be able to bypass otherwise I doubt it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7wXF7eHG1Em5PE5RTCR0gtFIv24WbfXbWXWpDiyBUwVGXC9pWVgYiSkc3jOqqI5z