1 2 3 4
N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/16/13 8:32 a.m.

A few of those wiggles made me nervous.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
10/16/13 8:38 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: This car sets this time at The Ring and people still damn it with faint praise. That car is fast. No matter how you slice it. Congratulations to GM for bringing their 'A' game and building a world class performance car. It puts a smile on my face to see American manufacturing achieving this.

It only took 40 years...

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/16/13 8:39 a.m.

Holden platforms are quite capable, it seems.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/16/13 8:40 a.m.

GM did a survey though..... Hot Rod maybe? before they built the Z28. They asked what people wanted to see in a Z28. Not that I think that the survey or my answers had any real influence, but this is the car I was hoping they'd build. The Corvette shows that they have the engineering prowess to make pretty darn good cars. They just needed to apply that know how to the Camaro and let it happen. They did. It's awesome.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
10/16/13 8:56 a.m.

To all the cars with 4 valve heads, overhead cams, AWD and $100,000 price tags....

SUCK IT!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
10/16/13 9:13 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: GM did a survey though..... Hot Rod maybe? before they built the Z28. They asked what people wanted to see in a Z28. Not that I think that the survey or my answers had any real influence, but this is the car I was hoping they'd build. The Corvette shows that they have the engineering prowess to make pretty darn good cars. They just needed to apply that know how to the Camaro and let it happen. They did. It's awesome.

Yup. I might have wanted it to look different, but its performance is spot on.

Part of me wants the BOSS Laguna Seca to be faster... but... it... isn't.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
10/16/13 10:09 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: That's not a muscle car, it can turn and stop, it's a large high-powered sports car now

No, it is a well assembled sedan, but it isn't a sports car. Sports cars don't come with 4 seats and two tons of ballast (although I expect that particular car had been lightened more than a bit).

Notwithstanding the fact that I am a sports car fan and that I think the fat assed styling of the Camaro is hideous, I have to applaud that accomplishment - they did a great job with that car and deserve the respect of any sort of car fan.

I watched the early Z28s race and outrun the competition in the early 1970s and they earned my respect then - not for the street cars, which were ill handling and braking dogs, but for what they could do with that raw material in the hands of a race shop that knew what they were doing. That car is probably similar - I doubt the production version would do anything like that time when it finally appears - who would want to live with the handling of the race car on the street, and all the other stuff that goes along with being a race car? But the ingenuity and expertise of the shop that built it must be acknowledged.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
10/16/13 10:10 a.m.

Never did I think I'd see the day when a z28 bitchin ca-mar-o would lap the Ring faster than a 911 turbo, no matter what manner of tires were on it. It's hugely expensive for a camaro but compared to the cars it appears to outhaul, it's maybe even more of a bargain that the vette.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
10/16/13 10:16 a.m.

what strikes me is how unstressed the V8 motor sounds. At times it almost seems like he's lugging it, but then the speedometer skyrockets. Other than the aforementioned "wiggles" it's one of the most drama-free fast laps I've seen at that track.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
10/16/13 10:30 a.m.

Professional Driver. OK Fine.

Closed Course. OK Fine.

Do Not Attempt. FORGET THAT!

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
10/16/13 10:37 a.m.
wspohn wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: That's not a muscle car, it can turn and stop, it's a large high-powered sports car now
No, it is a well assembled sedan, but it isn't a sports car. Sports cars don't come with 4 seats and two tons of ballast (although I expect that particular car had been lightened more than a bit).

So 911s aren't sports cars? hmmm okay, well it is the internet and we're all entitled to our opinions....

fstbandit
fstbandit New Reader
10/16/13 10:53 a.m.

Holy crap, that sound is intoxicating, I watched this at work and everyone stopped what they were doing and came to watch. Its a great accomplishment, now I wanna see a Mustang do it

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/16/13 10:58 a.m.

The Camaro is 3800 lbs and sests four, but the 911 turbo is 3500 lbs and seats four. It's amazing how those extra two seats make a sports car more practical.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/16/13 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Xceler8x:

Does the Cobalt SS TC still hold the stock fwd ring lap record? GM first got that with the Ion Redline

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
10/16/13 11:24 a.m.

The only problem I have at all with the Camaro is the ugly ass taillights. It is a big car, but I like big cars.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/16/13 11:34 a.m.

I started seeing them in person and I don't get the hatred of them.....they are obviously styled after the first gen's.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/16/13 11:46 a.m.
jdbuilder wrote: @ 4:39 is an oh E36 M3 moment! Then another one was when he breaks back tires loose in the wet at 80+mph... Bravo!

Yeah, watching that section I realized there's two types of people in this world.

1) Those who would have had that happen, said a prayer they didn't die and pull over to clean their shorts.

2) Those few who would have giggled and pressed down harder on the accelerator.....

I don't think I'd giggle.....

-Rob

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
10/16/13 11:58 a.m.

This video puts a big grin on my face.

If the Camaro can do that, what will the C7 do?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/16/13 11:59 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The Camaro is 3800 lbs and sests four, but the 911 turbo is 3500 lbs and seats four. It's amazing how those extra two seats make a sports car more practical.

the 911's back seats are practical? I had a 911.. you need to be a child under 5 or legless to sit back there

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/16/13 12:36 p.m.

Just think for a min. The lap record for a Group 5 Porsche 935K set by Klaus Ludwig was 7m 37.3s OK that was 1979, but that was a pro built and run race car. It would also have put you 25th (and not last) on the grid for the 1976 F1 race

nocones
nocones SuperDork
10/16/13 12:49 p.m.

That 7M37 second time was probably on the old course at 22.8KM compared to the current 20.8KM track

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
10/16/13 1:08 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: This video puts a big grin on my face. If the Camaro can do that, what will the C7 do?

Million dollar question right there.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
10/16/13 1:11 p.m.

I like. Too bad if you are over 6 feet tall you aren't fitting in one with a helmet on.

ransom
ransom UberDork
10/16/13 1:16 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I started seeing them in person and I don't get the hatred of them.....they are obviously styled after the first gen's.

It's totally a totally subjective, taste thing, of course. There's no right answer.

To me, they look like a caricature of the first-gen cars, with the designers trying to make it look more aggressive to the point of just looking cartoonish and overwrought. It looks to me one design decision short of calling for "car nutz: truck nutz for carz!"

In any case, just my opinion, and my guess as to why there's so much distaste for them despite the family resemblance to the (generally well-liked?) first-gen Camaro. Bit of a dead horse anyhow. Some folks like 'em, some don't. The ones who do can now get around the 'Ring very quickly indeed...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/16/13 1:28 p.m.
nocones wrote: That 7M37 second time was probably on the old course at 22.8KM compared to the current 20.8KM track

Ding ding ding, correct!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nuBy9srlxS1lQYyBQyU2Azfzcwmf67lKoybBET4BrxRjUlWWqhbbbYZDEL4H5LNW