1 2 3 4 5
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/16/13 1:29 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
hrdlydangerous wrote: This video puts a big grin on my face. If the Camaro can do that, what will the C7 do?
Million dollar question right there.

Not as well as you would think, actually. The C7, even in Z51 form, uses narrower tires. Given the improvements in aero and HP, but the disadvantage of weight, I'd think somewhere around a C6 Grand Sport would be about right.

Now, the upcoming C7 Z06? That's the million dollar question.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/16/13 2:48 p.m.

Just saw there's a 5th Generation Only magazine on the stands. Called "Camaro Now".

The New Camaro must be bigger than I thought (pun intended!)

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
10/16/13 2:54 p.m.

The over-run crackling noises are just great!!!!!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/16/13 3:00 p.m.

So I keep reading the thread title as Camry and Nurburgring...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/16/13 5:06 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

What, you wanna see another rod shoot through a block?

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
10/16/13 5:35 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: So if I'm reading this right...People are surprised that a Camaro with a high powered engine, track suspension, wide R-compound tires, significant weight reduction, and a driver with big brass cojones behind the wheel, is fast?

You know that car was driven as shipped, right? That's a production model lapping that track at that speed.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
10/16/13 6:38 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: This car sets this time at The Ring and people still damn it with faint praise. That car is fast. No matter how you slice it. Congratulations to GM for bringing their 'A' game and building a world class performance car. It puts a smile on my face to see American manufacturing achieving this.

This. All the way.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
10/16/13 6:50 p.m.

Damn impressive for a stock Camara that would be right at home on a long road trip or a short cruise to get a 6 pack of Bud Light! I don't understand how anybody posting in this thread is not impressed. Awesome work by the wheel man, great time, great sounding car. This is the car that a little boy's uncle has and it changes his life forever.

Bryce

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/16/13 6:51 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: This car sets this time at The Ring and people still damn it with faint praise. That car is fast. No matter how you slice it. Congratulations to GM for bringing their 'A' game and building a world class performance car. It puts a smile on my face to see American manufacturing achieving this.
This. All the way.

Bingo, plus one

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/16/13 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Nashco:

Your post reminds of Rush's Red Barchetta!

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
10/16/13 7:17 p.m.

I think people get power / balance and precision confused. I got rid of my very well prepped S197 (strano'd to hell and back) for a slower 964... the driving experience is far more rewarding in the 911.. Having worked at GM head office in marketing when the camaro came out I will say I am pseudo proud. It really is a fun car to drive that surprises a lot of people with it's manners at the limit

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
10/16/13 9:38 p.m.

7:37 is deadly fast. It's faster than the Lexus LFA, Ferrari 458 Italia, Corvette C6 ZR1, Pagani Zonda, Audi R8 V10 and Porsche 997 turbo S. Heck, it's almost 20 seconds faster than the Ferrari F430. I've never thought much of the new Camaro, but the bowtie tuning engineers should be super proud of the cars they're turning out these days.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
10/16/13 9:42 p.m.

Which box do I check for Cajones in the driver seat? Can I buy a bottle of it?

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/16/13 10:04 p.m.
racerfink wrote: You know that car was driven as shipped, right? That's a production model lapping that track at that speed.

Production, aftermarket, hand built by the Pope...Still has everything noted. Don't get me wrong, it certainly is fast. I'm just not surprised.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
10/16/13 10:05 p.m.

That is fast, but the fastest LFA did it in 7:14, and a 911 GT2 had a time around 7:18. The Z28 is a track oriented car, comparing it to the standard LFA isn't exactly apples to apples. Like saying car "X" is faster than the Camaro (v6 model).

unk577
unk577 Reader
10/17/13 9:46 a.m.

"The fastest LFA" "a 911 GT2" yes there are a lot of street cars that may be able to do it I faster but can they do it right off of the production line? No mods... Didn't the initial GTR set a new record that nobody could duplicate with a stock GTR? The comparison to LFA probably has more to due with a price for performance comparison than anything else

wspohn
wspohn Reader
10/17/13 10:24 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
wspohn wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: That's not a muscle car, it can turn and stop, it's a large high-powered sports car now
No, it is a well assembled sedan, but it isn't a sports car. Sports cars don't come with 4 seats and two tons of ballast (although I expect that particular car had been lightened more than a bit).
So 911s aren't sports cars? hmmm okay, well it is the internet and we're all entitled to our opinions....

Interestingly, even the SCCA was briefly confused about that. The Porsche factory, being a canny bunch, realized they could get a lot of great PR if they dominated the sedan class, but all they had was the 911 which had if not vestigial, at least not very capacious rear jump seats. They managed to talk the SCCA into allowing it to run in the under 2 litre class of Transam, where it cleaned up on the previous winners, the fast Alfa GTAs.

Generally, sports cars are cars that have either only two seats , or only two seats that real human beings can sit in. The only true sports car that looked like an American sedan was probably the AMX, which made it into the sports class simply by selling the cars with no rear seats.

Others are a closer call and have to be treated on an individual basis.

The Camaro is, and always was, a sedan - that's where it started racing. It has a usable rear seating arrangement. If you wish, you can call them sports sedans - that takes in Mustangs and some Mopar stuff. Personally, I find the old term 'pony cars' which indicated a medium size sedan with usually a fairly powerful engine to be ironic today. It started in 1964 with the Mustang, which weighed under 3000 lbs. To apply it to a 2013 Challenger that weighs 50% more than that stretches my ability to say it without laughing.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
10/17/13 10:32 a.m.

In reply to people who have used the words "sports car":

Who the crap cares?

In reply to people who have compared this to quicker supercars:

So, a Camaro, straight from a Chevy dealership; right next to the Spark and the Silverado, can outrun an LFA at a cost delta of multiple houses and you complain that it isn't the fastest LFA which was used in the comparison?

I think that's rather impressive. You guys are crazy.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/17/13 10:34 a.m.

I really don't like the looks of the Camaros, they are big and goofy to me, but man does that thing sounds awesome! I love how it rips and snorts on decel...great video, and a great driver!

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
10/17/13 11:39 a.m.

I'm just happy we're on page 3 and no one has called it a Camero . . . not yet anyways. (My automotive ADD is kicking in, so as you can see, I've been on Craigslist a lot lately.)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
10/17/13 11:41 a.m.

What are the chances of somebody actually getting a z28 order slot at this point. Are they going super limited or like the GT500's being made to order with no real limit.

Also are the seats any different or at least lower. 6'0 here and with a helmet can I fit.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Dork
10/17/13 11:51 a.m.

The G forces must've played hell on the driver's mullet and gold chains.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
10/17/13 12:04 p.m.

Let's not forget that our tax dollars went into this. While it's cool that a Camaro can do so well on the ring, it damn well better after the bailout. Too bad I don't like these cars no matter how fast they are; I'd still be embarrassed to be seen in one.

-Hamid

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/17/13 12:16 p.m.

Way to flounder up a perfectly cool thread.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/17/13 12:21 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Way to flounder up a perfectly cool thread.

+1

Also, E36 M3, the Z/28 is probably the best use my tax dollars have had this year!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JOWrYEeDCfoVjQ5cecFlVgH1tvgah4T3ZpjbyyxynCoqMibQeGV94vgqbjkbiBmC