1 2
Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/3/20 8:19 p.m.

I tried to work on my street rat Boxster in a  standard 10 x 20 storage unit which quickly filled up with the jetsam and flotsam typically found around a project. The below pic is from 9 months ago before even more stuff was piled in there. Summer came and the heat finished any work in there. Zero fun to work on the project.

A "Tall" 10 x 20 came available with a 13' ceiling and is close to my future office. Time to move.

The shelves are different lengths to enable the full length of the car to fit. To work on the other side requires pulling out and changing the direction of car. I cut and Mathew screwed. He helps me out once or twice a month and is a dedicated gearhead so we never fail to have something to say. Good kid. He bought a Mustang GT a month ago and sold it within a week.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/3/20 8:26 p.m.

Hey!  There's wheels on that toolbox!

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/3/20 8:35 p.m.

The shelves can be broken down quickly in four sections and set back up in another unit  a few doors down when it becomes available. No real cross bracing as it's pretty tight against the walls.

Access hatch.

Bought this for $50. Heavy, American. Drawers glide like new. True Value rust paint and it looks great (no pic),ready for GRM stickers.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/3/20 8:41 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Contrary to the Miata and Boxster. I get you.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/3/20 8:43 p.m.

I work on my 14 sailboat in a storage unit.  The trailer just fits with less than a foot to spare.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/4/20 6:41 a.m.

I've recently done brakes on my 17x6.5 car in a 20x10 and I'm jealous of the size of your project. Very nice shelving! Gotta use all that space.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
10/4/20 7:53 a.m.

I attempted to do minor work on a 69 Chevrolet Impala in a 10 x 20. Interior work and trunk work were OK. Backed in, minor engine work was OK. Very tight, dark and cold/hot. 

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 7:02 p.m.

^ All of you triggered a thought - take the doors off. Lots more room. Can you guess which wrench is missing? Same size as the one missing for the 1/4 ratchet.

About 90% done here. High gloss white paint, no primer. Need to run a heavy duty extension cord and add a bigger shop light. Add a small shelf behind bench, etc.. Oh, a little ceramic heater and a portable ac.

Really need a bunch of tools. Wiring in unit is only 110 so a 110 compressor is needed soon with attachments including a sand blaster.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 7:15 p.m.

And the view is soooo nice.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/4/20 7:51 p.m.

And I thought my 20x30 was tight.

What do you do for electricity?  No storage lockers I have seen had power.  Most of them also had a no cars rule, and some of the ones that did allow cars required that you surrender your title to them (!!!).  I assume because it's a right PITA to get a title for a car after you're a month behind on storage and they confiscate all your stuff.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/4/20 8:19 p.m.

Done engine swaps in them. No fun. Usually can grab electric from a ligh bulb socket adapter. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
10/4/20 8:20 p.m.

Back in the day I had a 10x20 but it had an 18 foot ceiling (very odd) and like you made a nice loft but without the sides.

Worked very well even ran a small repair shop out of it.

Have fun

Paul B

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 8:39 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

And I thought my 20x30 was tight.

What do you do for electricity?  No storage lockers I have seen had power.  Most of them also had a no cars rule, and some of the ones that did allow cars required that you surrender your title to them (!!!).  I assume because it's a right PITA to get a title for a car after you're a month behind on storage and they confiscate all your stuff.

There is a no car rule but it's partially my company so the rules have been stretched a bit. angel My bro is my partner.

It really is small but so much better than before. In 3-5 years I'll ad a full sized shop with a lift, a new office, and a manager's efficiency apt. all together in a new building. There's room for three more big buildings

As Paul stated, just a bulb in the ceiling for electricity. Screwed in a bulb receptacle with two plug inlets and a chain pull. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Dude, Hasbro OWNS the storage unit facility!

I don't think he will he confiscating his own title! cheeky

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 8:59 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Dude, Hasbro OWNS the storage unit facility!

I don't think he will he confiscating his own title! cheeky

Hee hee, chief cook and bottle washer and junkyard dog.

Hey Mr reX, I'm thinking of putting a temporary office at the end of the building. Something tiny to use for the next 3-5 years, maybe 8 x 12 or so. Use it for something else afterwards. The shop is four doors down but could be moved to the closest unit, maybe have a pedestrian door connection. The junction box is just to the right so plenty of juice including 220 for the welder etc. Don't need a building permit due to size but maybe for the electric. I could buy a pre-built or make one. I'm wondering if I should build posts into the ground and then fasten the building on top of the base. Then I could lift it with a fork lift some day and move it elsewhere.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/4/20 9:02 p.m.

Lighting in a storage locker?  Man, that's baller smiley

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro (Forum Supporter) :

The building doesn't need to be secured to the ground. A pre-built shed will work fine. 

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 9:19 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Hasbro (Forum Supporter) :

The building doesn't need to be secured to the ground. A pre-built shed will work fine. 

Cool beans. I could go as small as a 6x8.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/4/20 9:33 p.m.

Oh man, if I lived near you I'd ask if you could bend the rules for me too. I need a storage space to work in. cheeky

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 9:56 p.m.
slowbird said:

Oh man, if I lived near you I'd ask if you could bend the rules for me too. I need a storage space to work in. cheeky

When I first started looking for properties the main area I was looking was north of Atlanta somewhere between Road Atlanta and Barber or up near VIR. After getting established the thought was to get a second property and build a Garage Majal type place with an efficiency suite in each "unit". Wrench on your race car and have a kitchenette, bathroom, pull out couch. Off of the track property but still close enough to store your toys. One and two door garages.

But this property was too good to be true. Oh well, that's life.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
1/12/21 8:53 p.m.

It's grooooowwiiiinnnngg.

There's enough room to place the X right in the middle for full access. I'll be doing suspension work on both of them very soon - FINALLY!

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/12/21 10:41 p.m.

Many many years ago and my brother was going through a divorce and he set up a wood working shop in a storage unit. That was his hobby and mental oasis and he made it work for the better part of a year. It was a challenge managing several wood working machines with a single overhead light socket and single wall outlet but he made it work. Better then not being involved with something you like to do at all. 

RevolverRob
RevolverRob Reader
1/12/21 11:34 p.m.

The size of the car and creativity of the user dictates the succes! 10x20x13' single car garage, with one plug, one light fixture, and one project car. 

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/13/21 8:41 a.m.

I was pretty meh on the original post because ive done some major work out of a 1 car garage and it's terrible (although i agree with Pirate about better than nothing) but now that it's TWO units its the same size as my tiny shop AND the complex is your business? Now it's exciting!!

Where is this place? Im supposed to be spending a day or two in Atlanta on vacation in March. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/13/21 9:56 a.m.

Cool thread.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MRxQ9yiPqk9eoTrAH2Pjmqq0NrrcR9Tt6qoiUD6bsTYmn2ugVXxBDSgdn20xiU4O