93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
6/8/12 10:02 p.m.

As much as I love my 2002 Corvette, I am looking to take the next step in exotics. Next up on the list is a same era (99-2002 or so) Porsche 911 Turbo or a Viper.

I can DIY anything on the Corvette. Its basically a fancy pickup truck. As long as you have a GM Tech II (which I do) and a good set of tools, you are golden on a C5. I have had my hand on every part of my Corvette, and its all really easy and well documented.

Can I do the same on a late model Porsche? I got lucky with the Tech II and also have an outdated Snap-On MTG-2500 good to 2004 but no Porsche support. What can i expect digging into one? I dont have a lift (but I do have access to a few) but did a trans swap on the Corvette in my 2 car garage. It can't be that bad, is it?

The other car I am looking at hard is a 96 or so to 99 Viper. I know a properly equipped Corvette will ghetto stomp a Viper, but man, I can't get past the V10, the looks, or the overall presence of the car.

What can I expect from Porsche and Viper forums? Are the cars and community DIY friendly, or will all the answers be "take your car to the dealership and it costs about what a down payment on a nice house does."

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
6/8/12 10:29 p.m.

Well let me know when you go to sell your vette. I have been passively looking for a c5

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
6/8/12 11:10 p.m.

2002 Corvette Coupe
3 tops (OEM painted, OEM glass, aftermarket carbon fiber)
Z51 suspension (similar to a Z06, no selectable ride control or other BS)
6 speed
All options
Factory magnesium wheels w/70% tread Michelins
Magnetic Red Metallic II exterior, black interior

Mods:
Vararam intake
Kooks 1 7/8" longtubes
Offroad 3" X pipe
AIR deleted
SLP Powerflo cat-back
Hurst shifter
Hinson Supercars/Nick Williams/Wilwood clutch master cylinder w/speed bleeder
Spec twin disc P type clutch
Z06 trans with 15k miles on it
Rebuilt 3 rib diff with C6 Z06 internals
Innovate wide band
Tuned with EFI Live!

Email me if you want more info
aacthree at gmail dot com

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
6/8/12 11:38 p.m.

Email sent

M030
M030 HalfDork
6/9/12 4:41 a.m.

I DIY my Boxster. I couldn't do it without a lift, though. Everything is done from the bottom of the car.

Why not a 996 with an LS swap from Renegade Hybrids? Cheaper than a turbo, probably faster, cheaper to maintain, etc.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
6/9/12 6:31 a.m.

996 Turbos are currently the biggest bargain in the Porsche world.

rotard
rotard Dork
6/9/12 7:17 a.m.

I tried to find a good deal on a Viper, but it seemed as if they all had salvaged titles when I was looking. Both cars suffer from "just a few thousand more" syndrome. It'd probably be cheaper in the long run to spend a bit more up front to get a well-sorted car with documented maintenance. My understanding is that both are pretty reliable, but not on the same level as a C5.

What are you mostly going to be using the car for? Vipers can be uncomfortable for a variety of reasons, and one would probably lose its magic if you had to do a long commute in it.

The Viper is a fancy truck, much like the Corvette. The 911 is a fancy VW Beetle.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/9/12 7:39 a.m.

I think I would be surprised to find a viper that has not had an "Moment" unlike the vette and 911.. they were really a pure driver's car with the only driver's aids being his hands, feet, and brain. Unlike most vettes and 911s.. they also seemed to be owned by a much younger crowd.. so I am betting a lot of them had driver's that were not up to the abilities of their car.

Personally.. just as I would not call a 911 a beetle.. I would not call a vette or viper a truck

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
6/9/12 10:39 a.m.

996 turbos started on 2001 and ran through 2005. While a good deal in the bang for the buck dept in stock form, repairs and modifications are much more expensive than a C5.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
6/9/12 10:47 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: . While a good deal in the bang for the buck dept in stock form, repairs and modifications are much more expensive than a C5.

This is correct, without question.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
6/9/12 12:54 p.m.

I've worked on modern 911's. That's why I no longer want one. interior bits are a PITA, suspension and brakes are ok, engine trans stuff will make you intentionally burn yourself with a torch just to get out of the garage.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
6/10/12 10:40 a.m.

I would mainly be using the car for sunny day commuting and a few few-hundred mile trips. Occasional runs to the drag strip just for fun, thats about it.

The unlockable issues on the early Vipers don't bother me, I park in a small private lot at work, usually leave the top off the Corvette anyway.

When you say "parts are more expensive" and "engine/trans is a pain to work on", can you elaborate more? The Corvette isnt exactly 1970s pickup truck simple, but its all just a lot of bolts. Sure, you have to drop the rear end cradle to service anything in the back on a C5, but its not hard, just bolts and time. Is that what I am getting into on a Viper or a Porsche?

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
6/11/12 9:55 a.m.

The 996 turbo engines are very stout, being based on the GT1 motors. The rest of the 996 motors suffer from some very real and very bad problems, like cylinder issues, intermediate shaft bearing issues, rear main seal issues, etc.

My friend bought a 996TT two years ago for $35k. It's been rock solid for him and he's been doing most of the work himself on it. He is an aircraft mechanic by trade, so he does have a bit of a leg up there.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
6/11/12 1:02 p.m.

Just pulled the transmission out of a 996 this weekend with a friend. Other than the two hidden bellhousing bolts, the mystery clutch slave cylinder line coil that made it almost impossible to get to the bolts, the shift linkages side by side with differnt attachment methods, and needing 19-12 mm sockets, torx bits, and allen keys (RX-7 took two socket and nothing else) it wasn't bad. Just be prepared to curse ze Germans a lot and you'll be fine as far as i coudl tell.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CuIutKOKrGMlHXn85MG3yYlTjbkcmKItuqecpAbc5m06n0KR0pIsAxkMimEa30Md