Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
5/28/22 3:33 p.m.

A number of kit cars from faraway lands look like a riot and I'm crazy enough to take on the avalanche of regulation and paperwork I'm asking for here.  Could I import a pile of parts from a country outside the USA and assemble and sell the completed car to Americans?

What organizational and legal structure would I need to assume?  What about the cars?  Would they be off-road only?

Yes, there are thousands of variables.  And Google.  And a lawyer.  But what do you think?  Links to helpful resources?

Thanks.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
5/28/22 3:37 p.m.

Pulling this out of my rear, but I think if the completed car could be imported here then building kits might be ok.

A while ago someone (not Motorex) tried to import Nissan Skyline body shells and engines separately to pass them off as kits, but that didn't fly.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke Reader
5/28/22 3:55 p.m.

it will be a state by state issue and you as the assembler or manufacturer could be liable if something went wrong or was badly designed.   best to import and sell the kits for someone else to assemble like the Goblin.  you have an out liability wise as you can claim it wasn't assembled correctly and they need to prove you wrong.   Maybe worth doing the bulk of the assembly and leaving the engine sourcing, install and final nut and bolt check to the buyer for example.   I am not sure what the different state requirements are though.   

I know Missouri is very lax on one off cars though and the person requesting the inspection  is considered the manufacturer so the highway patrol will check against what you put on the car and tell them what standard to inspect to before they issue title.   don't install air bags and they won't inspect air bags for example.  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
5/28/22 6:37 p.m.

Backdraft Racing could give you all the legal and "how to" answers. https://www.backdraftracing.com/about-backdraft-racing/

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/28/22 7:18 p.m.

Would calling it a replacement body help ?

How do all the replacement Mustang and Camero bodies etc made in Taiwan get imported and registered?

nocones
nocones PowerDork
5/28/22 7:29 p.m.

If you are asking about genuine component built cars (like Factory 5 Cobra, Exomotive Exocet) I believe every state has a mechanism that those vehicles can be street registered provided the "kit" chassis comes with a Manufactures Statement if Origin.  All states are slightly different in the process and what minimum equipment is required but if you create an LLC and provide an MSO you should be able to be a "kitcar company".  Most states even allow for said vehicle to be a completely custom design and not a replica though in almost every state a "replica" is easier then a "custom" car to register because the year of the assigned VIN is the year being replicated.  

Now If what you are referring to is bringing in previous VIN assigned vehicles from foreign countries in pieces as a "kit" and selling them to get around import laws you cannot do that.  

I am not sure if the true reproduction bodies are being done as Kit via MSO or as Limited production vehicles or just being sold to have VINs swapped by the customer. 

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
5/28/22 8:18 p.m.

Knowing both but the interwebs stories, with recently passed legislation is sounds like if it is a replica of an existing OEM car it is easier to manufacture now. As opposed to the one off state by state kit car rules. But what do I know?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/28/22 11:45 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

For the street? Or for "Off Road" ( racking) 

The latter is a definite probability. The former will require conformity to current regulations. Safety and smog. 
  But realize that if you do,    "anybody can sue you for anything at anytime".
     Subpar weld?  You're liable, under- engineered part? Call the lawyer. A customer misuses something and gets injuries or killed?  Unless you have specific printed instructions telling him not to drink the battery acid or whatever stupidity  he did,  It's court time!!!  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/29/22 12:03 a.m.

Not sure if this is still the case, I believe you can import pre-assembled (kit) cars that don't have a drive train and then the new owner can fit the drivetrain or have it fitted. IIRC that's how some of the Superperformance cars come into the country.

Maxton IIRC sold their car as a kit, but offered to hook you up with a separate company that would put it together and install the correct drivetrain. That was at least still legal in the early 90s.

The various Skyline shenanigans have created a whole bunch of issues around this type of endeavour and I think you have to be very careful these days to do everything by the book to do it right.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
5/29/22 1:02 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Backdraft Racing could give you all the legal and "how to" answers. https://www.backdraftracing.com/about-backdraft-racing/

Backdraft Racing cars start in Durban, South Africa. Their "assembly" shop is up the street from me. If you're serious call them. 561 752 3693

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
5/29/22 4:57 p.m.

There were at least a couple of places assembling Nobles. I assume the Rossions are the same deal. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QVDC5s3ALubxepFQoHFGidlBkjsUOctKZ8YRGphF9XaN3vnPqP2L6H3JmIUTH5TJ