ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/22/21 12:49 a.m.

I'm seeking some front brake rotors for my current project, and I need to match the rears that I already have. It seems simple enough, yet my internet searching seems to indicate that these rotors don't exist on this earth, which seems highly improbable to me. I'm guessing I don't know the right sources, the right search terms, or the right Nissan sercret-handshake. Please help if you can.

ISO front brake rotors for an early-90's 4-lug non-ABS 240SX (252mm diameter) with corrosion-resistant coating, but not drilled/slotted/zOMG-ricer/tuner/racecar/drills and slots...just some nice simple plain vented rotors with a corrosion-resistant coating.

For some reason, every single mother berkeleying brake rotor company on the market insist that when coated every single blasted front rotor option for these cars has to have drilled holes AND slots. :( With no coating, there are a few bottom-of-barrel super-cheap options. I just want the goldilocks middle ground and am not sure why I can't find it. Strangely, there are tons of options for higher-grade coated, but non-drilled rear rotors for these cars, but no fronts that I can find.

I tried digging around for interchange with other Nissans, but this gets murky in a hurry, thanks in part to the fact that s13 chassis cars came with lots of different hub/brake setups from Nissan. Lots of other Nissan cars with the same 4x114.3 and 252mm diameter, but almost always in a solid rotor (usually rear) not the vented 20mm-thick front rotors I need, and all the JDM S13 cars seem to use a 280mm vented rotor, which I mistakenly already paid $120 for, and apparently have on the way to me (plus whatever international shipping will be) and they won't do me an ounce of good, because they won't fit my calipers, my brake brackets, or my 14" wheels.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/21 3:41 a.m.

Rock Auto seem to have many choices of rotors for 93 240sx.

Your non abs car should be able to run abs capable rotors, you just won't gain the benefits of abs

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/22/21 5:59 a.m.

NAPA?  They have coatings on the rotors now.

An application that uncommon might not have the new style in inventory yet.  Possibly not ever.  But, it's worth a shot.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/22/21 10:47 a.m.

I primered and painted a set of bare rotors with good engine paint and they held up pretty well through a couple Michigan winter's. Just a DD, not a track car.

2/22/21 1:06 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks for the idea; unfortunately the non-ABS cars run a different rotor that is 252mm in diameter and the ABS cars use a different rotor/caliper mount that is bigger (272mm? 280mm?)

The frustrating part is that it seems Nissan didn't make all that many 4x114.3 rotors, so I'm guessing there is some interchangeable part (SE-R? G20? JDM Nissan Sunny?) but I can't find definitive information online. Lots of information on parts-bin brake upgrades for going bigger using rotors/brackets and sometimes hubs from ABS 240SX, JDM Silvia, or Maxima, or 300ZX, but I'm pretty sure those would be overkill for my 1500 pound car, and wouldn't fit the 14" wheels.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
2/22/21 1:30 p.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

The frustrating part is that it seems Nissan didn't make all that many 4x114.3 rotors, so I'm guessing there is some interchangeable part (SE-R? G20? JDM Nissan Sunny?) but I can't find definitive information online. Lots of information on parts-bin brake upgrades for going bigger using rotors/brackets and sometimes hubs from ABS 240SX, JDM Silvia, or Maxima, or 300ZX, but I'm pretty sure those would be overkill for my 1500 pound car, and wouldn't fit the 14" wheels.

Can't help with Nissan stuff but this has been my go to for lug diameter info

https://www.wheel-size.com/ 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/21 1:43 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Interesting.  Rock shows these CENTRIC 12542040.  It does not specifically place them in the coated section but the pictures imply painted hat/hub and the text says: 

• Black E-Coat anti-corrosive coating protects the cooling vanes and mounting surfaces from rusting prematurely

Searching a second source lists that these are in fact 252 mm

2/22/21 1:46 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Interesting.  Rock shows these CENTRIC 12542040.  It does not specifically say that they are coated but the pictures imply painted hat/hub.  

Awesome; I'll have to follow up on these...much appreciated! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/21 1:51 p.m.

If you order from Rock, don't miss the 5% discount.  It aint much but helps cover sales tax.  

Amazon has that part number too 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VKSwsvJKRzLP52L5gTYq2pIMO1RHKZS3n4PFRMvjlIIPxK4agFIaLputnZJ5iCoP