1 2 3 4
Pat
Pat HalfDork
1/15/16 6:36 a.m.

Definitely do it. I've been thinning the fleet quite a bit this year with the thought that I'd have a project and a new/newer fun car. A Scat Pack Challenger is on my very short list. I'm getting to the point age wise where I think I may be able to claim mid life crisis pretty soon...and that sounds like a great justification for frivolous spending to me.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/15/16 6:41 a.m.

Although not the same they are similar. I was seriously looking at one of these with a V6 and AWD with the R/T pack for a while. I would still scope one up if it came along.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/15/16 8:02 a.m.

Ha, I guess people really like the Challenger.

The way I see it, I want to buy a car that I keep for a long time. I want to be able to look back in 10 years at the thing and go "that thing's still awesome". For that reason, I might as well buy the one that I want.

The interior thing... The worst part of the older cars is the gauges. The only car with white faced gauges that I have ever liked was the 1989-94 Maxima SE. In that car, they looked great. In the Challenger, they don't do it for me. They did at least update the steering wheel in 2011 or 2012, so that was a step in the right direction. The one I sat in was a 2013, and I could definitely live with it if I had to, but I'd rather get the 2015+.

I like technology. My Mazda has wireless Bluetooth audio streaming in addition to hands-free phone calls, which I use every day. I think some 2008-14 cars have the phone connectivity, but no audio streaming. I know that I can get an aftermarket stereo to do that, but the 2015+ cars are available with the 8.4" Uconnect setup which is very nice. I could always get an aftermarket stereo, too.

Am I missing the point of a car like this? The way I see it, the car is a big GT car that looks like an old musclecar. I want it to do what I want it to do.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/15/16 8:07 a.m.

I also like the Charger R/T. I did consider one of those for a while as well, along with the 300 S. The 2015 300 S is THE HOTNESS.

Neither can be had with a manual, though. You can get flappy paddles. Neither seems to do what the Challenger does to me though.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/15/16 8:35 a.m.

I've spent some time in one and I liked it, but the build quality was suspect. Weird gaps and stuff falling off already with 1,000 miles.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
1/15/16 9:01 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Am I missing the point of a car like this? The way I see it, the car is a big GT car that looks like an old musclecar. I want it to do what I want it to do.

Not from my perspective. I like tech, too. I want a nice interior that's a good place to spend time. It is more of a big bruiser cruiser than a sports or even pony car, but at this point in my life, that's what I want, too. Only I want mine to have 4 doors.

Having said all that, if autocrossing or track days are in the plan, I'd absolutely get a Mustang or a Camaro instead.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
1/15/16 10:19 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to Danny Shields: As reliable as your typical turn of the millennia Mercedes Benz.....
How much of that old Benz is even left in a current LX car, though? The basic suspension layout, but not much more, I'd imagine. Certainly the drivetrain is all different, the electronics have to have changed a lot in the last 15 years, interior, etc.
The 5-speed NAG-1 automatic transmission that they used until '14 was a Mercedes piece as well. And wow, is that a stout transmission. Guys racing LXs report that aside from the input shaft, the stock internal hard parts are good until 900hp.

I wouldn't be surprised if the electronics suite is similar on the older LX cars as well. They required the same "dyno mode" trick with the key cycling to completely disable traction control that MB is well known for requiring.

For the most part, the LX chassis stuff is pretty reliable as was the MB it was derived from. The AWD LX chassis cars have very fragile transfer cases however.

WOW Really Paul?
1/15/16 10:23 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

The pre-15's should have a USB & 3.5mm port somewhere, it cost $7 and 30 seconds to do what Chrysler engineers couldn't do on my Abarth....I have the typical phone Bluetooth and streaming audio Bluetooth that never require a resync.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
1/15/16 10:37 a.m.

I worked at a Ford/Dodge dealer around 08-10 and used to sell performance parts for the LX cars along with the Mustangs so have had some seat time in all of them.

The LX chassis is very nice, it was after all derived from the older E-Class? MB I believe. The 5 speed autos are tough and the 6 speed, well it's a T-56 and doesn't get much better than that. I've driven all versions of the Challenger (base, R/T, SRT and even an SMS s/c'd). I think the R/T would make a great dd, if you didn't need the extra 2 doors.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
1/15/16 11:03 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

always listen to the guy playing air guitar to Dokken. He knows what's up.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/15/16 11:12 a.m.

Yes do it, in Plum Crazy, please.

Storz
Storz Dork
1/15/16 11:18 a.m.

I like cars that look like they are about to kill you

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/15/16 11:20 a.m.

Like this, please. Get this one.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/15/16 11:28 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

I always try to. That guy rules!

As far as the Bluetooth streaming goes, my Mazda has it and it rules. I just got a 128gb card for my Galaxy S5, so I loaded it up with all sorts of music. I like being able to have one device do it all in the car, and the sound quality is surprisingly better than the 3.5mm cable that used to go into my iPod Classic. Only annoying thing is that for some reason Verizon removed the ability to display track data on my car's info screen when they updated the S5 to the latest version of Android. I can still skip tracks through the steering wheel, which is great.

Like I said before, I could always upgrade the sound system in an early Challenger to accommodate my needs, but having the car just do it anyway would be even better.

I still would rather get a 2015 model. They look so much better, they have HID's. LED lights, better interior, etc.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/15/16 11:30 a.m.

Oh, and yes, Plum Crazy is a totally acceptable color on one of these cars. It's one of the only newer cars out there that pulls purple off right.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
1/15/16 11:33 a.m.

Get the 2015 model, that old interior is terrible by comparison and you will regret it if you don't do the upgrade and you're going to keep it for a while.

Otherwise I see no reason not to get one if you like the car. Sure it might be a less capable driver than the newest Camaro and Mustang, but you're trading a bit for the look and style that you enjoy and it's not like the Challenger is a terrible driver, it's still a modern car with a modern chassis.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/15/16 11:42 a.m.

And that's the thing: If I were going to be buying a strictly autocross car, it's sure as hell not going to be a Challenger! And it's not going to be something brand new, either! This is a car that MAY see some autocross duty, so I want it to be a capable enough car to have a little fun.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
1/15/16 12:39 p.m.

Really think these are cool, especially the updated '15 and newer models. I was dying to buy a lime green Scat Pack for about 6 months. It's hard for me to get over the curb weight, but on the positive side the back seat is extremely comfortable compared to the camaro or mustang.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
1/15/16 12:41 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: So, I'm thinking that I want one. I'd be happy with a R/T model with a stick, leather, and heated seats. I'd be even happier with one that has the Super Track Pack. I don't think I really need a SRT model, and besides, they are more money. I read all about these in GRM in a recent issue that talked about what to look for in one if you plan to drive it on track, which was useful. I'd really like to get a 2015-up model, and I'm fine waiting for them to depreciate a little more because they are a lot nicer, especially on the inside. I'm also a big guy. My Mazda is pretty small inside, and the Challenger is a LOT more comfortable inside for me. I've only ever sat in one; I've never driven one. Let's do one of those good/bad lists: The Good: -Just look at it! -370+ 'Merican thoroughbred horsies and the sound to match -Spacious inside -More refined/comfortable/quiet than an econobox -Parts availability/consumable costs isn't bad -Supposedly handles pretty well for it's size -Seems to hold it's value well The Bad: -Not the greatest on gas -It's pretty big, but trunk/storage is small -The V8 Mustangs and Camaros have more power (Do I need more power?) -2008-2014 interiors are like sitting in a giant Rubbermaid tote with a set of cheap white faced "indiglo" gauges from a clapped out Honda Civic modded after the first Fast & The Furious movie came out The Unknown: -It's a Dodge. Does that mean that in 3 years the thing will be a giant pile of rust and failure? -Does RWD + 370HP = INSTANT DEATH in a New England winter? Even with snow tires? -Are they generally giant piles of E36 M3? -Will Bald Eagles nest in my yard and will I have daily F14 Tomcat flyovers afer I bring one home? So, does anyone have one? Did anyone formerly have one? What do you guys think? Am I nuts?

I owned an orange ( I think it was called header orange? don't remember) '12 RT with track pack and 6 speed for a few years, bought it new. Put around 30,000 miles on it.

your good list: 370 hp.... These things have "torque management" if mine wasn't under warranty when I had it, I would have installed a "tune" to disable the torque management. Sometimes it felt fast, sometimes it did not. You knew the ECM was limiting your fun to preserve the warranty.

Interior room was amazing HOWEVER, I had the sunroof, which killed rear headroom and front head room when wearing a helmet. Look for a no sunroof car. Great comfort. Handling was better than it should have been. The weight has a penalty, mine chewed up the sway bar bushings.

Fuel mileage was not amazing, but I had the optional 3.91 rear. 17 town and 23 highway was about average, I drive conservatively.

Trunk is huge! but the opening is small... and the back seats fold down.

The only cosmetic issue that bothered me about the interior was the base steering wheel: the SRT had such a beautiful wheel (and it was heated), that I had wheel envy. The seats are nice and the dash is fancy soft plastic.

The bones are good, the engine has been in the trucks for a while, the manual trans is a tr-6060, is strong and nice. The track pack had (I believe) a larger getrag rear with clutch LSD. The stock R/T MTX exhaust was actually pretty sweet.

I winter drove mine: I got steelie cop car wheels and put snow tires on. The TPS sensors happened to just work, giving me individual tire pressures for each wheel without any reprogramming needed. Drove great in the snow that way. Drove terrible in the snow with the 200 treadwear tires the track pack fitted.

The track pack had a "full off" stability control mode, the non track pack and non srt's could not be fully disabled. This is a problem in snow and the stability control tries to keep you straight even when you are hooning (the engine power wins, but the brakes try real hard!)

If I were to buy a new one, I would get the CORE 392, or I think its called the scat pack now (basically an R/T with the 392)

Regardless of which model you get, you really really want to get the 'track pack. It is a bunch of little things, but is pretty comprehensive. Brakes, suspension bushings, shocks, springs, sway bars, exhaust, lsd, engine and stability control programming, and I'm sure other things I'm forgetting.

These are such great cruisers, I will have another. But I think I will buy a retired police charger for maximum fun/$ ratio.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
1/15/16 12:48 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: In reply to AngryCorvair: I always try to. That guy rules! As far as the Bluetooth streaming goes, my Mazda has it and it rules. I just got a 128gb card for my Galaxy S5, so I loaded it up with all sorts of music. I like being able to have one device do it all in the car, and the sound quality is surprisingly better than the 3.5mm cable that used to go into my iPod Classic. Only annoying thing is that for some reason Verizon removed the ability to display track data on my car's info screen when they updated the S5 to the latest version of Android. I can still skip tracks through the steering wheel, which is great. Like I said before, I could always upgrade the sound system in an early Challenger to accommodate my needs, but having the car just do it anyway would be even better. I still would rather get a 2015 model. They look so much better, they have HID's. LED lights, better interior, etc.

I'm not a big stereo guy... my '12 had a cd player/satelite radio and bluetooth, almost base radio but not quite.

It had bluetooth that functioned well. Wheel controls were easy, one of the best voice command systems I have used. I also streamed music over the blue tooth. I thought the wheel controls worked while streaming music, but don't remember that well.

I don't know what its like to live with a new s-class stereo, but that dodge system was better and easier to use than the new honda and nissan systems I try to use with bluetooth now.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
1/15/16 12:51 p.m.

Just remembering, it also had a USB and headphone jack, I believe an optional iphone port.. Just never used them.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
1/15/16 12:55 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: And that's the thing: If I were going to be buying a strictly autocross car, it's sure as hell not going to be a Challenger! And it's not going to be something brand new, either! This is a car that MAY see some autocross duty, so I want it to be a capable enough car to have a little fun.

Meh, autocross isn't that hard on cars. I bought my Focus ST new and brought it out to autocross.

daytonaer said: Drove terrible in the snow with the 200 treadwear tires the track pack fitted.

You say 200 treadwear summer tires are no good in the snow?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
1/15/16 1:07 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Meh, autocross isn't that hard on cars. I bought my Focus ST new and brought it out to autocross.

Not to speak for him, but my concern would be more about competitiveness than it being hard on the car. 4300lbs on a tight course is tough to overcome.

WOW Really Paul?
1/15/16 1:17 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Harvey wrote: Meh, autocross isn't that hard on cars. I bought my Focus ST new and brought it out to autocross.
Not to speak for him, but my concern would be more about competitiveness than it being hard on the car. 4300lbs on a tight course is tough to overcome.

Big heavy powerful stuff is fun to autox though. The CAM guys typically have the biggest grins on their faces at the end of the day.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/15/16 1:19 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:

Correct. If I was strictly buying an autocross-focused car, I'd probably take a look at something like a 370Z, 135i, E36 M3, or a Toyobaru. You can autocross anything with wheels and have a good time! I really, really want to autocross my Trans Am someday soon when it's feeling better.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p7Eim045ZsTK0voy1YjEL1EVT7B8P7PnFdQ4j8gBXukwocmF2LmEb9XY0gB8h8Zn