1 2 3 4
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/4/22 12:41 p.m.
infernosg said:

and anything with Jesse James.

Generally I agree, cause berk that guy, but early Monster Garage was kinda neat.

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
1/4/22 1:00 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

American Sports Cavalcade was the best thing since sliced bread.  Mostly NHRA, but swamp buggy racing, sprint cars, all the stuff that didn't have a home on tv in the 80's.  Steve Evans, RIP.

I liked Passtime too.

You need to check out MavTV select. I watch it on my Vizios free tv thing, but it may be available elsewhere. They air Motorsport content exclusively including many episodes of Lucas Oils "On the Edge" which is pretty much the same thing! I saw sprint boats, atv racing, team demo derby, and swamp buggies among other things this weekend. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/4/22 1:40 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

American Sports Cavalcade was the best thing since sliced bread.  Mostly NHRA, but swamp buggy racing, sprint cars, all the stuff that didn't have a home on tv in the 80's.  Steve Evans, RIP.

They presented racing in a straightforward manner and treated we the viewer as if we weren't total morons.  I liked it as well.

Top Gear was also good............full of  fake bits be we all know it's a goof, so it's fun. The USA version should just stop, it's always been forced.

Don't know how long it's been on now but Jay Leno's Garage should age well. Any car show with genuine car nuts just telling their story is always good.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/4/22 1:54 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

this episode was particularly good with the Honda and it's fake nitrous bottle to be used as a bargaining chip. 

Gosh that brings back bad memories. Seeing all those bros and the dumb 'shocker' stickers and hats and stuff. Jesus. 

Just cringy. 

As far as the show, I watched it when it was new and liked it, especially the bike episodes. But yes, didnt age well at all. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/4/22 2:06 p.m.
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
1/4/22 2:22 p.m.

Wheeler Dealers is still good, especially if you fast forward through the first 10 minutes and skip the last 10 minutes.  The tech is actually pretty good.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/4/22 2:40 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Agreed

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/4/22 3:10 p.m.

Total aside, but John Davis from Motorweek was the keynote speaker at a company sales meeting a few years back.  He has alot of insight into developing trends at that time in the automotive industry ... a very interesting guy to listen to, well beyond the overview info that you see on the TV show.

thedoc
thedoc HalfDork
1/4/22 3:24 p.m.
Spoolpigeon said:

Every car show ever that uses a 'Z' in place of an 'S' or a 'K' instead of a 'C'. 

Man, did you hit this nail on the head

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/4/22 3:41 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Guess I am the one that was confused. OP meant TV Car  shows, not "car shows" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To address the question, any show where "time, money and temper" was running out. Or to be clear, every show that the discovery channel presented. 

My first thought when I saw the thread title was the NOPI Nationals.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/4/22 3:55 p.m.

I will have to admit Pinks and Street Outiaws will never top Celebrity Bull Riding, but they aren't as horrible as some make them sound.  I guess you naysayers are super excited about the new season of The Bachelor.  Celebrity Bull Riding and Pros vs Joes will always be the best reality TV shows of all time.  The bulls didn't care they were on TV.  And the Pros destroyed the Joes repeatedly.  Watching 50 year old Spud Webb annihilate the "I should've been a Pro guys" is almost as tasty as watching bulls throw famous people off like rag dolls.  

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/4/22 5:01 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Came here hoping someone posted this. That guy bombed MPMC one year and was total schmuck. For those who don't know, MPMC is an auto media only conference. You have to register ahead of time because you are going to meet with 40+ manufacturers in the span of three days. It is like speed dating for car media folks. We're there to work and get our content lined up for the year.

So Mr. Bald Pinks guy shows up with no badge and no schedule and just starts...taking other people's meeting times. Which is really crappy considering you really only have minutes with a rep to get business done. They eventually tossed him from the hotel and we all talked about him later, mostly how much we all hated him. He was trying to pitch a TV show to anyone who would listen, which was just Pinks...again. Dude was just such an ass, so watching him dump the bike again made me smile today.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/4/22 5:16 p.m.

How did that 'Are you faster than a redneck?' show go? I never saw an episode when it aired and I never hear of it now. 

I do have to say that majority of UK based car shows seems to be better. I can't recall the name of the one I was watching but the basis was basically following the upkeep of a police fleet of vehicles. No fabricated drama, and interesting obstacles that would need to be overcome. 

One other show that was interesting was: 'Strippers, cars for cash' bit more friendly drama between two teams (of two. 1 the mechanic, 1 the seller) competing to purchase a vehicle (based around some arbitrary parameter like 'sports saloon' or 'eco-friendly' or 'first car') as cheap as possible then strip them down for parts within a time frame (a 'week' according to the show) and then have the remaining bits of the car were taken for scrap. Whichever team had more profit by the end won. Usually had interactions with parts being purchased on camera and some 'haggling'. So some fabricated drama, but not 'losing the shop' drama.

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
1/4/22 6:09 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

Total aside, but John Davis from Motorweek was the keynote speaker at a company sales meeting a few years back.  He has alot of insight into developing trends at that time in the automotive industry ... a very interesting guy to listen to, well beyond the overview info that you see on the TV show.

To further de-rail... he presented me the biggest auto-x trophy I have, lol... and then talked to me for a while about the XR4Ti that I won it in! This was in 2001 at 75/80 dragway, where Motorweek did (stilll does?) their performance testing. Still have the trophy in my garage! 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
1/4/22 6:29 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
NOHOME said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Guess I am the one that was confused. OP meant TV Car  shows, not "car shows" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To address the question, any show where "time, money and temper" was running out. Or to be clear, every show that the discovery channel presented. 

My first thought when I saw the thread title was the NOPI Nationals.

Mine was Hot Import Nights.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/4/22 6:40 p.m.
thedoc said:
Spoolpigeon said:

Every car show ever that uses a 'Z' in place of an 'S' or a 'K' instead of a 'C'. 

Man, did you hit this nail on the head

"Hey brother, can a talk to you about your car for a minute?"

"F off man! I really don't want to sell you my car for at a %20 discount to see you paint it with a bunch of F'ing crosses and skulls!"

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
1/4/22 7:33 p.m.

It's the opposite of what the thread is, but it seems to have spun this way on it's own...

5th Gear was always good.  It's basically old Top Gear (like when you had to pirate it to see it in the US... Not that I ever did that).

For that matter old Top Gear was pretty great. More about the cars than the gags. Plus Clarkson with a 'fro.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/4/22 8:37 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Yeah, the older Top Gear episodes were pretty good. My favorite is the first episode I ever saw: trying to destroy the Toyota Hilux. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
1/4/22 9:10 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

I liked 5th Gear's head-to-head track tests. With Jason, Tiff, and Vicky being pro-racers it was the closest we got to an English language Best Motoring.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/4/22 9:36 p.m.

How about this...

If you can make a better show pitch it to a network. They don't know car people so shows have to have all the fakeness and such.

Until then shut your pieholes. I can't stand how many wife kills husband or I've talked with someone overseas for years and now I'm meeting them to marry them shows on now, or similar including those stupid shiplap rocks E36 M3 shows on "home improvement".....

I'm happy these shows are on period. I watch them to keep them on tv to avoid watching any more cooking shows.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/4/22 9:54 p.m.
hybridmomentspass said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

this episode was particularly good with the Honda and it's fake nitrous bottle to be used as a bargaining chip. 

Gosh that brings back bad memories. Seeing all those bros and the dumb 'shocker' stickers and hats and stuff. Jesus. 

Just cringy. 

As far as the show, I watched it when it was new and liked it, especially the bike episodes. But yes, didnt age well at all. 

Did some band that knows nu-metal, the blues and shredder stuff go into the studio sometime in 1999 and cut the instrumental bits live in one big 8-hour session and create all the background music for every car show and video game made from that point on? Then these show and game production companies came along and cut it up into little bits for beds and menus?

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/4/22 10:41 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

How about this...

If you can make a better show pitch it to a network. They don't know car people so shows have to have all the fakeness and such.

Until then shut your pieholes. I can't stand how many wife kills husband or I've talked with someone overseas for years and now I'm meeting them to marry them shows on now, or similar including those stupid shiplap rocks E36 M3 shows on "home improvement".....

I'm happy these shows are on period. I watch them to keep them on tv to avoid watching any more cooking shows.

I'm going to kind of...disagree with you there.

"Networks" like Discovery, TLC, MAVtv and yes, even Motor Trend know there is money in car TV stuff. But they can't fathom that viewers would rather watch straight technical stuff than scripted dramedy with five minutes of actual wrenching. They will claim they need the fake dramedy to appeal to the more 'mainstream' viewers. This is why Graveyard Carz sucked so bad the first several seasons (and still fluctuates in and out of stupidity). Mark Worman wanted to make a straight restoration show but the network told him to come back with all the moron drama, because they wanted a car version of Orange County Choppers. That's what it took to get on the air. Eventually, he was able to shift the show to more technical stuff but still has to have 'bits' to keep the network at bay. 

The networks, of course, are morons. Because otherwise there would not be the success of all the YouTube channels that are strictly wrenching that have been wildly successful. They still cling to the belief they have to sell to the 'mainstream' viewer, which is probably not helped by the success of Top Gear/The Grand Tour. As much as I like the British 3 Stooges they haven't been a positive influence on real automotive programming.

Speed Channel was an enthusiast channel but never made money.  Everything since has been 'entertainment'.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
1/4/22 10:43 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Older than that, before Hammond and May. With Tiff Needel. 

RobertElder
RobertElder New Reader
1/4/22 11:07 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

I about $#!T myself when I recognized the Civic driver.. he's still drag racing - a little faster now though cheeky

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/4/22 11:40 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

I can't stand how many wife kills husband or I've talked with someone overseas for years and now I'm meeting them to marry them shows on now, or similar including those stupid shiplap rocks E36 M3 shows on "home improvement".....

I heard Dr. Pimple Popper is coming back for another season...frown

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XmuHEH7vG6z9HKTDhrVHnoSQ8YQmqqnC9UEB5pHZ7aR2PjYtjK3m4UjnAaMojnfW