TAftonomos
TAftonomos New Reader
4/26/09 4:07 p.m.

I just found a sweet deal in Tx on a car that would be perfect for me.

Trouble is, it needs a bit of work (electrical). Price is right, but transporting it via a carrier would probably make it too expensive for me.

Anyone out there headed that way or feel like getting paid to haul a small car to GA?

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
4/26/09 4:52 p.m.

Im in Austin where is the car??

TAftonomos
TAftonomos New Reader
4/26/09 4:56 p.m.

I will get an address later on tonight. Could it be someone would help out THAT quickly? Maybe things are turning around in my car search :D

TAftonomos@gmail.com if you are serious.

TAftonomos
TAftonomos New Reader
4/27/09 4:44 p.m.

Bumpage. Looks like I need to plan on getting there myself.

Would a trailblazer with a tow dolly tow a 318is ok? I'm assuming I should tow it on the front wheels (back loaded on the dolly). Trailblazer will have a trans cooler in it tomorrow.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
4/27/09 5:27 p.m.

You're probably better off disconnecting the drive shaft and towing frontwards.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
4/27/09 6:15 p.m.

that is how I would do it.. disconnect the driveshaft and tow with the front wheels off the ground.

06HHR
06HHR None
4/27/09 7:17 p.m.

You might be better served renting a small trailer instead of the tow dolly. The Trailblazer should be able to pull the combined load (318ti + 1500-2000 lbs for the trailer) and IIRC the cost isn't much more.

TAftonomos
TAftonomos New Reader
4/27/09 8:01 p.m.

Getting some pretty good quotes on Uship as well. Down to $400 right now. Gas alone is going to cost me about 250$ + the tow dolly or trailer. And 30 hours on the road.

Is there anyone in the area that could check the car out personally for me so I'm not going purely on someone's word?

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
5/3/09 3:26 p.m.

Just had to say that car was a steel.

Wish I found it first.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/571683221jHlyaD

a1autotransport
a1autotransport
6/7/11 11:14 a.m.

In reply to TAftonomos: Go online and search for best car transport deals.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
6/7/11 11:33 a.m.

Canoe?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/7/11 1:39 p.m.
mrhappy wrote: Canoe?

Not without a link it isn't. Congratulations to A1autotransport for playing by the rules.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
6/7/11 8:20 p.m.

Hmm, a 'steal' 318ti, im local, and i was JUST talking about how ive always wanted one.. blah!

Anyway, i TOTALLY agree with the recommendation of dc'ing the driveshaft and towing it right-ways

Ive got a lot of tow dolley experience with mine, and ive even been on a 300 mile trip towing a caravan on my dolley with a trailblazer. Itll handle it just fine.

But, the $400 shipping thing sounds better. Make sure they arent going to charge you extra if it cant drive itself onto the transporter. Some do charge extra for that.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
6/7/11 9:15 p.m.

So, uh, where's "local?" Texas is a big state. It's quicker to drive from Texarkana to Asheville than from Texarkana to El Paso.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
6/7/11 9:49 p.m.

depending on how far.. 400 is a steal. Considering what you would spend on Gas and either a tow dolly or trailer.. not to mention your time and stress on your tow vehicle

Raze
Raze Dork
6/8/11 6:35 a.m.

You guys commenting after Mr. Heath realize this thread is 2 years old right?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
6/8/11 9:41 a.m.
Raze wrote: You guys commenting after Mr. Heath realize this thread is 2 years old right?

Nope. Missed that part.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
6/8/11 11:05 a.m.

still good to know. I went looking for an auto transport company recently to get a quote to move a saab from ohio to NJ... to do it by renting a Uhaul and Trailer would cost me in the neighborhood of $800 to $1000 depend on fuel and airline tickets there... I am getting quotes from 350 to 425 to have somebody else do it

Vigo
Vigo Dork
6/8/11 7:03 p.m.
Nope. Missed that part.

Same here. I count on other people to not bump dead threads. I myself never go back more than 2 pages from the most recent post.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
6/8/11 7:05 p.m.
unevolved wrote: So, uh, where's "local?" Texas is a big state. It's quicker to drive from Texarkana to Asheville than from Texarkana to El Paso.

Doesn't that also depend a little on how much Coors you have in the trailer?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
6/8/11 8:20 p.m.

What good's it doing you in the trailer?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ydAqmLYB9UUUazsEVmXB9qOdd7pdAH2c1riQcMMaeYbH1SanjXznmo4Mg2LSUwaM