1 2
Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/11/17 11:34 a.m.
ea_sport wrote: Today I saw a C5Z that's in a good shape only to find out that there was some bogus roll back flag. What happened was the previous owner took it to a shop that put some random mileage into the system that's way higher than the actual mileage so when he took it to a Chevy dealer the next time and the dealer put the right mileage that's lower than what the other shop previously put, it is now flagged as roll back..arrghh..I think I need to take a break from my car search..

I wonder if the indie who did the mileage error could be successfully sued for vehicle loss of value.

That's happened a few times when a scan tool glitch made the odometer jump. The stories I've heard of added 20k+ mileage, but I've personally witnessed a Chrysler add ten miles rapidly before I could yank the DLC connector out.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/11/17 5:37 p.m.

Because all of these things with car fax are all relatively low $$$$ items by them self no one is going to take them to court about it. If I was a lawyer I would look at trying to put together a class action suite against them. I bet that would get some traction. With no real way to refute what Carfax sais about your car and it in tern causing you damages both monetary and you could argue distress I could see that getting the attention of the legal system but only if a large number of claimants got together. I agree that CarFax needs to be slapped down a bit and be a bit more accountable for what they report.

Believe it or not some times Lawyers are can be the good people.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
7/11/17 5:46 p.m.

If you keep cars until they're sold for scrap, CarFax doesn't matter

Says the guy in the west with the NJ-registered car and a minor accident recorded. Guess the car's a keeper!

calteg
calteg Dork
7/11/17 10:29 p.m.

Protip: Take your prospective purchase into Carmax for a free appraisal. They're decently trained to search for frame and body repairs. Best case: you learn something useful. Worst case: The service is worth what you paid for it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y4M8jJzgxYgFtTnNjRMGqCsuWt2Fr5u3GiT0ricfWQuVRfKaGaOermzxUxR74GX9