1 2
etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/18/16 6:40 p.m.

Wow, tough crowd! You DO know the difference between Carroll Shelby & O'Conner, right?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/18/16 8:07 p.m.

I'm not going to argue. Personally, I like the attitudes expressed, keeps the prices of one of the best cars produced in the 80s, especially by a US manufacturer.
it's amazing what you can do with these cars for very little money.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
8/18/16 8:21 p.m.

I want to say the car will sell for around $25-28K based on it's history. Time will tell.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
8/18/16 8:31 p.m.

I'm guessing more than $60K

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
8/18/16 8:48 p.m.

That little car is great, I'd love to have one.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
8/18/16 9:40 p.m.

I sense low opinion of the Omni contaminating discussion of the abilities of the GLHS which were AS ADVERTISED. It was a high performance vehicle, for sure. A blast in 2nd left a lot of passengers saying "Unbelievable." It didn't handle like a BMW but the front would bite and dart and there was lots of grip. The platform was cheap and unsophisticated and there were better-made, more durable economy cars than the Omni available for just a little more money. The GLHS was not an economy car. It was an inexpensive Buzz Bomb that gave me no trouble until 70,000 miles when the computer quit and proved hard to find. So, I let it go to a nice guy in Ohio who replaced the computer and eventually sold it to a guy who has restored it and who called me up to talk about it a few years ago.

So, yeah, I'd like to own that car.

dherr
dherr New Reader
8/19/16 8:43 a.m.

I test drove one back when they were new. Black, just like this one (okay he may have had some additional mods). Compared to our Rabbit and my Fiesta, it was a complete rocket. A great example of taking a basic economy car and making it into something else. Build quality was still Chrysler, but overall a very cool car at the time. I did not pull the trigger as my career was still starting and with a child on the way, not a good financial decision at the time.

The collector car market is very crazy right now, if this were just a 7,xxx mile Shelby GLHS, that would be something as most are trashed by now. But Carroll Shelby's personal example will likely command $$$. My bet is $30K

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/19/16 8:48 a.m.

They sold new for around $15k, some dealers getting more. I bought one in 1991 with 1,100 miles on it and had it till just last year when I gave it to my daughter (who wanted it). Even if it sold for $15k the buyer would be getting a great little car for the price of a new one back then. I had a Sunbeam Tiger also. My GLHS was quicker, cornered better and more fun to drive. Bet it goes for over 15k though.

Scooter
Scooter Dork
8/21/16 8:26 a.m.

What'd it sell for?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
8/21/16 2:11 p.m.

Looks like it sold for 25k. More than I'd thought for that car but it's still got the shelby ownership history.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
8/21/16 3:08 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It's worth about $8-10k without the history. With the history, it's worth...about $8-10k. But I'm sure some Shelby aficionado will pay through the nose and park it in a climate controlled chamber. Obviously Carroll didn't enjoy driving it very much!

This was the show car, his own personal ride was the prototype (#001) that had a 16-valve head created by Hans Hermann installed in it along with a turbo, intercooler, etc. made about 400hp, I believe.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/22/16 12:10 p.m.

The charity aspect may have something to do with the final price. Otherwise, what Keith said. These people can throw another ten large at something, especially if they can write it off as a charitable deduction.

D2W
D2W Reader
8/22/16 4:51 p.m.
mainlandboy wrote: While on the subject, how much would you pay for Jon Voight's LeBaron convertible?

Don't you mean John Voight:)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vjl5M2Ra9udDwfCJL42XMRY2Zqb0SirAHEXXyDmVly2mmLXaDOxcL8Up7FNYwrC7