1 2 3
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
4/22/20 7:18 p.m.

Can you put a camera on the other side of the street pointing towards your cars ?

Maybe "we" can design  a  floor mat  that makes the camera go off when stepped on , 

like the stores had years ago that rang a buzzer when a customer walked in ,  put it on the ground next to your car , 

You want the punks to run away and get their picture taken by the camera across the street , and maybe a plate number....

good luck

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/22/20 7:55 p.m.

Man, that sucks. I used to have kids in my townhouse neighborhood who would hang out right by my car and shoot hoops...kept seeing the ball hitting my car, them leaning on it, etc. I knew the kids (early teens) smoked a lot of pot (and they knew I knew), so one day I walked out there to the car with my DEA lanyard on, which all of them noticed (I worked for another agency but had picked it up years before). They never got near my car again. 

Years ago in college about 15 cars in our neighborhood had their tires slashed one night. As it happened, it as an angry (ex-) girlfriend, who wanted to slash her ex's tires, but didn't recall exactly which car was his. So she slashed the tires of every black honda/toyota on the block. ALL of them. Except mine (which was parked down on the outside street since my roomie was using my spot for a visitor). And except the guy who was actually the target.....whose car was at the shop getting fixed for smoething else and he had a loaner. 

Anyhow, people are shiny happy people. 

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
4/23/20 7:49 a.m.

When I lived in an apartment complex my suburban was a target.  True, it made a tight fit in the parking spot since it was so large.  But the SUV who had the adjacent parking spot never admonished his teen-aged son who would use my door as his doorstop.

Worse was the eleven times I had a nail put under the tire.  I got very fast at installing the spare and being only a little late for work.  Those eleven times were in twelve-month span that a tenant and his eleven-year-old daughter were tenants.  Of course, nothing could be proven without video evidence.  I just swallowed that.

Worst was my tandem-axle flatbed trailer being stolen.  Except maybe its' replacement being stolen, too.

That was all in one apartment complex in a good neighborhood.

Vandalism happens.  It sucks.  Gratuitous destruction of property is stoopid.

None of this helps the original poster except maybe misery loves company?

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
4/23/20 10:46 p.m.

Any suggestions on a security camera system?  I've been looking into them, seems all the reviews are just sales pitches.

There are three connection methods, video cable, ethernet, or wireless.  Think I've decided to get with ethernet POE/NVR since they have direct bury ethernet cable.

Then it is 4mp, 5mp, 8mp cameras.   

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/24/20 7:22 a.m.

The question about what's best has been keeping me from making a decision for years. That, and the cost.

A wired system is best, I believe. It's what I would do if I had a single building, and more time for the installation.

I needed something that I could have up and running as soon as possible, on two buildings.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
4/24/20 6:43 p.m.

A few years ago I moved out of my rental large shop. There i never had to worried about anyone as the landlord was um... well known around town and um... connected and a Ex-word of the state.  Anyway moving all my race stuff to the house where i'd had two shott out windows (rear window in my 944 and the back side window in my then 2 week old f350) and a break in had me worried so I spent $1800 on an 8 camera wired system with a DVR. Signs galore as its required by law if you try to use in a trial and they don't see a sign it can be tossed out.  Anyway the DVR crapped out an i can't get a replacement from the OEM.  I now use 5 Arlo Pro2's and so far they are great. except one that no matter what i do is numb unless your with in 10 ft.  The phone app is good and when plugged in they catch a lot of animals the two that are battery get lots of "false" pop up as Squires can trigger but are gone before the camera turn on.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/24/20 3:27 p.m.

Reactivating my own zombie thread; it's been several months now and no further problems. The camera over the driveway is quite visible, and has the sign right next to it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/24/20 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

In your shoes, I'd be sorely tempted to add a sign that said "and I have a friend with a pig farm"

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/25/20 3:33 p.m.

I think initially I would have made the camera stealth (like hidden inside the window), just so I could find out who the motherberkeleyers doing it in the first place were, THEN made it more visible/obvious.

But I guess all's well that ends well!

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/26/20 4:13 p.m.

When we bought our last property, we won a bidding war.  Not sure if that was why some MFer started destroying my mailbox at least once a month?  After that I went through about 3 different iterations of the perfect indestructable mailbox.  Wound up with 400# concrete and rebar base, with 8x8 posts, bore-drilled with two pieces of rebar driven into the post in case they decided to just cut it down (which they tried.)  After they tried sawing it off (unsuccessfully, once they got to the hidden rebar) I reinforced all 4 corners of the post with angle iron.  MFers STILL tried to beat up the box, again unsuccessfully.

Then I hung one of those game cameras on the power pole, about 15' high.  It was a dead end road in the country.  For the first two weeks, until the battery died, the flash went off every time someone drove down the road at night.  Everybody who belonged on that road knew that camera was there.  

I never saw a single picture and didn't intend to -- just the presence of the camera was enough to ward off any further shenanigans for the next 10 years.

A hidden camera is a good back up, but putting one front and center is a smart move.  Well done!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
12/26/20 4:25 p.m.

I agree on the in your face let them know it's there idea.  I once had a customer that said he removed all his signs because he wanted to surprise anyone that broke in.  The surprise was on him because they took 2 sq ft of drywall when they ripped his TV off the wall.  Only time I've hidden cameras was a few times in apartments when creepy maintaince men were entering the apartment while the woman renter was away to do creepy things.  I made those customers promise to prosecute them if caught because those people don't deserve to just move on to the next job and do it to someone else.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/26/20 4:27 p.m.

Security cameras were BB gun targets for some of my less than upstanding friends in the 80s. 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/27/20 11:05 a.m.

On the side topic of doggy doo, I successfully used a commercial electric cattle fence to keep dogs and raccoons away from a particular area. 4000 volts (but quite low amperage unless you want to be replacing numerous dogs) works wonders at conditioning animals if not their owners.

It was actually pretty interesting. I watched the pecking order at work where the senior coons just sat down and waited while the young dumb ones were deputed to go test the fence (there were pear tress on the other side).  When the sacrificial coon got zapped, the rest just quietly ambled on, looking for easier pickings.

We also used it on a temporary dog problem quite effectively.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yvlK9s9cICli99aZsvEb6fqz0UqU4b2iLltfJNqtu51eX3BAOXvujkmBYv7o4UFk