Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
9/19/18 12:40 p.m.

I'm considering taking a run up to the salvage yard on my day off this Friday to hunt down a few parts for my cars, and one of the things I'm hoping I can find is a square exhaust tip for the Rampage so I don't either have to try and make one myself or pay a fair amount for a new one.

Are there cars or trucks (since I want fairly large pipes) that came with square tips from the factory? Or am I just going to have to hope I find customized ones? Thanks!

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/19/18 12:52 p.m.

The early '90s-ish Pontiac Grand Prixs had a rounded-square exhaust tip. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/19/18 12:57 p.m.

Also interested. I wanted one for my Corolla (with 2.5" exhaust), never found one I was happy with on the aftermarket at least.

Although after searching again, this one looks alright:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Universal-Stainless-Exhaust-Diameter/dp/B072PSJ8ZQ/

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/19/18 1:08 p.m.

Not that you're likely to find one in a normal junkyard, but a number of Dodge Darts and Plymouth Dusters with the more powerful engine options ran square tips.

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/19/18 1:28 p.m.

Also, it seems like I see aftermarket square exhaust tips on LT1 Firebird/Camaros a fair bit. And I feel like C4s came with square exhaust tips (or they were a popular modifications)

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
9/19/18 1:38 p.m.

New Challengers have square (rectangular) exhaust don't they?

C4s had squared off circular tips I think on the later ones.  

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
9/19/18 4:36 p.m.

Lt1 Corvettes and Camaros. Cavalier Z24 from the 80's. Brand new 2019 Silverado Trailboss.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
9/19/18 4:40 p.m.

Square or rectangular ?  I can’t think of a singular example of a “square” tip - although I’m sure someone will be along soon to point one out.  :-)

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/19/18 5:15 p.m.

You could do a beer can to impersonate a mini... I think this is the direction I will go for the saab.

Mini designer Frank Stephenson when interviewed back in 2003  explained what a can of Budweiser and the new MINI have in common: “We worked a number of 24-hour days trying to get the full-sized clay model completed for presentation to the board of directors,” said Stephenson. “So when we finished the job with just hours to spare, I thought it appropriate that the team have a beer or two to celebrate. That’s when I spotted the problem.”

That problem was the complete absence of an exhaust tip on the otherwise complete clay model. Thinking quickly, Stephenson stripped the paint from his beer can, punched a hole in the bottom, and fixed it in place on the model.

It wasn’t long before he was called on the carpet by his boss at BMW. “It wasn’t the shape (of the tip),” he says, “everybody liked it because it was unique yet oddly familiar. My boss was concerned that I had wasted a modelers’ time milling the piece when his time could be better spent elsewhere. That was when I felt the need to confess.”

That confession got him stunned silence followed by nearly uncontrollable laughter.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/19/18 9:59 p.m.

Have we considered that a square exhaust tip is potentially as easy as a piece of square tube that's been screwed or welded onto the end of a round pipe? Sounds like you should be going to Home Depot!

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/20/18 6:35 a.m.

Early 90s BMW 750iL had dual square tips, that was a tell for those compared to the 735i.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/20/18 8:21 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Square or rectangular ?  I can’t think of a singular example of a “square” tip - although I’m sure someone will be along soon to point one out.  :-)

I've seen some on the aftermarket, although none I personally like:

https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Square-Resonated-WSQR4032514-225-SS-S-Wesdon/dp/B07FM3966Z/

https://www.amazon.com/StreetStyle-Exhaust-Tip-LONG-Square/dp/B00S720FZI/

https://www.amazon.com/All-Sales-4000-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B000EPOEM6/

https://www.amazon.com/StreetStyle-Exhaust-Tip-LONG-Square/dp/B00S720F80/

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
9/20/18 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Does HD have square/rect tubing large enough (3" or so on a side)? I suppose if I can't come up with anything else I could swing by the Metals Supermarket that I got some of the tubing for the IC piping from and see if they have any scraps.

Worst case, I figured I could always just try and pound some of the round tubing into a more square shape or use some of the scrap metal I have to try and form a rectangular-ish tip.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/20/18 8:56 a.m.
Sonic said:

Early 90s BMW 750iL had dual square tips, that was a tell for those compared to the 735i.  

huh. interesting. I always just look for the wider kidney grills (and thus different hood lines) on the 750

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uz6mTHOJ1XXMZ7ARuJZDDZbG16VmMlva2xGXDv7ScLpfHiXXSuI44vLOMMf9FEYy