Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/28/20 6:31 a.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/28/20 6:56 a.m.

My career is much about progress of his invention. 

I'll raise one for him tonight. Then another for all of the lives saved and made better. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/28/20 6:59 a.m.

"At the same time, the device dramatically improved gasoline mileage in motor vehicles around the world."

How so? Running it based on lower emissions prior to th cat resulted in poor fuel economy?

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/28/20 7:13 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

Yes- the first to reduce emissions was to act purely on the engine- lower compression, retarded spark, and EGR all made worse fuel economy.  The only engine action that was better for fuel economy was Hondas CVCC technology.  But just as that came out, the three way catalyst came out- which made the technology not needed.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/20 11:57 a.m.

How will we convert our Cadillacs now?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/28/20 12:44 p.m.

When they first came out in the 70's I hated them. Starting about 15-20 years ago I would not run a car with out one. My last couple track cars had them.  

It was GRM that tested a bunch of them years ago and proved that there was little of any performance loss and the upside was a much cleaner running car. 

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
6/28/20 1:06 p.m.

When catalytic converters first came out they were a hot mess.  I was working as a mechanic back then when catalytic converters, EGR valves, etc. were added and the engines lost 1/2 their HP, gas mileage suffered a lot, and getting them to run right was a chore.  And engine longevity decreased at that same time

It wasn't until O2 sensors and computer controlled EFI came out that any real gains in power and mileage happened. 

And now, wonder of wonders, we have great fuel mileage,  with lots of power, on crappy ethanol fuel,engines last 200,000 miles with no problem.

Though I came up on points and carburetors and engines that were spewing blue smoke by 60,000 miles I would not go back to that.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/28/20 1:32 p.m.

My RX7 track car would put out exhaust fumes that would make your eyes water and I would feel sick if I was exposed to them for any length of time. It would also shoot flames on the over run.

It was that car that made me reconsider CATs. The triple cat I had for that car came from the factory was very restrictive but later on when high flow cats started to come along I put two of those on it and the problem was solved and I did not notice any real power loss. It also helped with the ear bleeding loud exhaust note that an strait piped Rotary motor has. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/28/20 2:26 p.m.

Drug users should thank him. 

around here last 4-5 years it's been the biggest source of income from them. Every week we hear of catalytic thieves 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/28/20 7:04 p.m.

Wonder if he died exhausted?

I'll see my way out....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oaQqsCbi9dc0l6MLGWmAqC4hj34X47Pf0hf40KPkIXP2enHr6plpw0kftYjSdcAS