hobiercr
hobiercr HalfDork
1/18/12 9:54 a.m.

So we got the '94 Celica GT (2.2L) Lemons/Chumpcar back together and started, fixed the various leaks/loose fittings but we have an electronic issue that I can't seem to solve. Currently I have no dash gauges (i.e. tach, H20), wipers, turn signals or tail lights. The head lights work fine and the car will start and run fine.

For full disclosure, when we were starting the car for the first time after swapping the motor we had a fuel delivery issue that was traced to a blown EFI fuse caused by one of my team hooking up the battery backwards. Once that was fixed the car starts and runs fine.

We have checked all the engine harness connections and they are connected properly. I feel like it has to be a main breaker or something but the electronics manual is not the easiest to decipher. We have all the manuals for the car so I am still researching but thought someone here might have an idea.

Thoughts?

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
1/18/12 10:27 a.m.

Check and make sure you didn't miss any grounds from the wiring harness to the chassis behind the dashboard, if you were stripping it for racecar duty.

I'm not clear..is the engine running now? The tach signal on that car is going to come from the soild state ignitor, so if the car is running the signal should be there.

Are you getting any idiot lights on the cluster?

The main fuse box is where the engine harness will interface with the body harness. Make sure that the body wiring harness is plugged in there and that there isn't a melted fusible link in there.

Also...the "circuit opening relay" could be funky from the battery incident. It disconnects all of the chassis power/systems while the key is in the start position. If it is stuck, the engine could run while the rest of the car is dead.

hobiercr
hobiercr HalfDork
1/18/12 12:07 p.m.

I will double check all the grounds. When we pulled the motor we unhooked the engine harness and pulled with the motor.

Engine is running now. Starts and idles fine but no tach.

No idiot lights on cluster and high beam indicator does show if high beams are engaged.

Everything in the main fuse box under the hood looks good. All the fusible links look good but I will pull and test with the multi-meter to be sure.

Where is the circuit opening relay? I don't have the wiring manual in front of me. This sounds like it could be the culprit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gJrjGugse7pZRgWnK711vms6swxBTFHDxbUZYXWf4dzcS52RDBbaQ0Ciux4xO6qE