sporqster
sporqster New Reader
12/8/11 10:32 p.m.

I'm a GRM Challenge noob planning my 2012 Challenge budget and was curious as to why I am disallowed from welding in the cage. I am planning on taking this car to a Chumpcar and LeMons events prior to the Challenge, but would like a shot at competing in the open class, not just the crapcan class, but kinda feel like I should weld the cage in for doing battle with the Chumpcar and LeMon's yahoos.

Is a bolt-in cage considered "safety equipment" and not included in the budget? Whereas the welded cage must be accounted for?

I gathered that 'safety equipment' is not included in the challenge budget, and that includes window nets, harnesses, extinguishers, anything on my person, firesuit, helmet, Hans, etc.

What about a racing seat? How about a 'wink' mirror? Fuel cell? Kill switch? Removable wheel? Pitt Coms? Wired transponder?

Do I have to budget fluids and fuel?

Oh yeah, one other thing, when will the 2012 Challenge take place?

Sorry about all the rapid fire questions, I've just already got the car, and I'm anxious to start cutting and welding on it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/8/11 10:53 p.m.

First thing to remember this event is for the purpose of the magazine gaining cars for coverage.

Rules are the cage is not in the budget if bolted in, but is if it is welded in, this is to stay away from the tube frame chassis that could lead from a fully welded chassis.

Fluids are exempt.

Otherwise anything on the car when it runs is included in the budget with the exemption of certain items specifically excluded as safety items such as stock brake part replacements, roll age as noted, sfi bell housings and a few more.

Event is normally in October

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/8/11 10:56 p.m.

My regular computer is struck down and I am on my Galaxy which limits my ability to find pages and link them but the 2011 rules should be easy to find with a look around

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/9/11 6:25 a.m.

You can weld the cage. But you will then need to include it in your budget.

You could also remove the cage after LeMons before the Challenge. It's a lot of work, but that's kind of the point.

Racing seat is in the budget- it gives a performance advantage by holding the driver tighter. Wink mirror, fuel cell, kill switch, removable wheel all included (though none of them are required). If it's attached to the car when at the Challenge, it's included in the budget (except for the specific safety equip listed).

Pitt Coms and Wired transponder- interesting. I'd say do not include them, unless they are attached to the car. Duct tape is your friend.

Welcome aboard. Nice to see another GA guy!

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/9/11 7:57 a.m.

Sorry Paul, he's in Evansville, just a few miles from me. He just hasn't updated his profile in years apparently.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
12/9/11 11:03 a.m.

You can weld it, you just have to budget it. On my $2011 N600, I had a lot of tubes to add and thought it would be uglier and much more difficult to make the "cage" bolt in. Sure, I could have cut $100 or so from the budget, but I knew it would make my timeline really hard to hit and in the long term be a disappoinment (after GRM). So, I took the hit and welded it in.

This is the compromise you have to balance with car you're using for more than just $20xx. Whether it will be a daily driver beater or raced in some other series, there will be some compromise to strike. As far as the rest of your race stuff goes, if it can be removed and you don't need it for the challenge, remove it! Not only does it save money in the budget, but it'll reduce weight and clean up the looks as well.

Bryce

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
12/9/11 11:19 a.m.

Don't know about Chump Car, but LeMons really looks bolt in cages over real hard at tech, more so after all those pics of the upside down Mustang with the feet punched through the floor circulated teh Web a while back. The rules for the mounting pad dimensions changed last year as well. It's certainly doable, but if I were in your shoes I'd get on the LeMons forum and post this question for Evil Genius. He has access to The Ears That Count.

sporqster
sporqster New Reader
12/13/11 8:50 p.m.

Thanks for all the responses, and yes, I'm a little slow to update the profile. I did live in Savannah... 4 years ago.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Aix31c4O9GGfZCjXOi1zI15hbpo2gwdBZSyKiR7WuxlaAb1lZjZ86uo18cts9h5F