Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/1/22 5:33 p.m.

I am looking to order some fuel line for my project. 

I am feeling a little overwhelmed by all the options. Push lock, rubber, an lines and fittings etc. 

I am going from a Mercedes 190e that looks like this ( seems like a 14mm flat end) 

to a Pontiac solstice lnf 3/8" push 

connect type fitting

I saw this kit on someone else's thread on here, would this be a good option? 

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Fittings-Tubing-Compression-Fittings/dp/B07CCMB3DT

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/2/22 6:39 a.m.

Honestly?  Cut the Mercedes fitting off, compression fitting to nylon (these exist), nylon all the way up to the quick disconnect at the Solstice end.

Can probably junkyard a nylon line from a GM product to save some money there, too.

Or compression fitting to steel line, steel line up close-ish to the Solstice end, put a little bulb on the steel line by forming the first stage of a double flare with it choked up halfway, then rubber hose clamped onto a cheapy repair quick disconnect.  Don't use that nicopp E36 M3, it is too soft/fragile to take a compression fitting.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/2/22 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Thanks , I didn't even think about cutting off the Mercedes fitting. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/2/22 9:16 a.m.

Pete FTW again.  I didn't know nylon fuel hose was a thing, and i sure didn't know about those nylon compression fittings.  like a shark bite for fuel.

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
12/2/22 10:44 a.m.

This is for a fuel line? Like, the combustible liquid that was made to catch fire given the chance?

No way I'd use nylon line. That's asking for bad things to happen. It has a place, which is perhaps conveying air or inert gas indoors in a protected room-temperature environment. The OEs get away with it because they're cheap bastards, use firesleeve and formed lines to keep them from melting, and don't care much if the car burns or if they're cracked and leaking in 5 years.

Consider getting hold of the mating rubber lines for both fittings from your favorite pick-n-pull. Cut them off at a reasonable short length, use a double-ended brass hose barb, and splice in as much parts store EFI-rated rubber line as needed.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
12/2/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Nockenwelle :

Serious question, what makes rubber line better than nylon?

IIRC my '87 VW GTI had nylon lines from the high pressure fuel pump to the engine bay and never had any issues. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/2/22 10:53 a.m.

Keep in mind that the NHRA requires hard lines for most fuel delivery--IIRC only 12" can be soft line. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/2/22 11:59 a.m.

I believe I used Nicopp for my fuel lines and it was awesome to work with.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/2/22 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Nockenwelle :

Nylon fuel line is OEM in literally everything nowadays, has been in use since the 1970s, is generally not a problem.  Most cars are Nylon from tank to rail.  They do not crack and split and fail in five years, although steel lines do.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LERsvrAyyaKtdDyh92ZfFkKDAB3w1Jz653w5Zu47h3R4lnp2376KohjBtRNmULcT